Sketchbook: Big jump for Amatuer

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Big jump for Amatuer

At the risk of making myself look like a complete idiot, I have posted a couple of images. I am one of the "older" group. I have picked up a pencil and started sketching for the first time in 25 years, last June. So please be gentle with me. This is a hobby for me, I don't have to try to get a job with my art, just as well, but I do want to get to sketch as best as I possibly can. I draw anything thats fun for me, so expect to see, anime, portraits, nudes, whatever. I know my work is crap, but with your help, maybe I can improve. .

Attached Images Attached Images                
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to doncam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey! Finally! I'm glad to see you've started a thread

First off don't sell yourself short. Your anime stuff is looking good, I really like that girl with the innertube. You did a good job of positioning the legs so they don't look too linear. I'm sure someone here will tell you to go and study from life and do more life drawings and bone structures and muscle studies.... blah blah... I think you got the right attitude. Draw what you like, but if you're really serious about improving then definitely do some life studies. Not everyone has time to go to a class (I already know you probably don't, neither do I) but of course photographs are a good substitution.

I do hope you get some time to draw some more. I know you enjoy doing it so don't give it up. I've always come crawling back to my art no matter how much time I take off from it. You know where stand with your art, that's a good thing

Take care and I'm looking forward to your future postings!

!darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

5. The Following User Says Thank You to darkchild For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought I'd stick this WIP in to try post

Please check my SB and crit, I need help.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=155203

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it's great that you draw what you like. I agree with what darkchild said in that you should practice real life subjects if you want to get better at drawing what you like and it seems as though you are working on that.

There are some anatomical problems in your wip.

I think her pose is cool and the outfit is creative. There are some problems with her face like her lips and her eyes being too far to the left. The top arches of your lips correspond with your nostrils and eyes are never all the way to the side of the face. Also her breasts don't look like they are attatched to her body. It would be hard for me to explain how to fix them...perhaps looking up some reference would help. I like the fact that you went a stylish direction and tried to make interesting proportion but her bottom half still needs work. Her hips are so wide yet the far left of her seems really flat; I think that there should be more flesh there. Also, not to be rude, but her vagina seems huge...I would narrow that down a little bit.

I hope I helped and didn't seem mean. I think that you show promise and you should keep working!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey it's looking nice, lots of potential here. I'm liking that your figures don't look stiff. As was mentioned photos are great reference, but hey you might want to also ask friends or family members to pose for you to do quick sketches too. Maybe 30 seconds per sketch/pose.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to phantasmagorie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice WIP

I think JJacks gave some great crits. So anatomical errors aside, I think this is a really flashy creative pose for your character. If you want to expand a bit on your character you may try and draw the same character in a variety of poses or settings. I've done that in the past when I was asked to design a hero for a gaming project. When you do that it forces you to really know your character well. Also as you redraw your character you will also start evolving him/her anywhere from the style of drawing, to clothing and appearance. You will grow as an artist as well from this. When I was first starting out in drawing the human anatomy I would always draw Batman, I drew him so much that I knew exactly how to pose him and where to place his cape... etc. But as I drew him over and over I started to become really familiar without the need to reference. Also I started to redesign his costume and emblem. Give it a try if you want. Maybe throw in a nude study or two for some supplental knowledge.

Good luck and keep drawing!

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

12. The Following User Says Thank You to darkchild For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, thanks for the comments, and dropping by.
    JJACKS, yep I can see what you mean. Actually I think I might have over stretched myself with my dancing girl, when I assess what stage I'm at. But I certainly appreciate your advice, and constructive crits are never mean. I have a very open mind, and don't get offended, rest easy mate.
    PHANTA, thanks for the nice words. I've been trying, well more around one minute poses, but as yet, they turn out to be shit, but I'll keep at it.
    DC, my man. Thanks for keeping tabs on me. I don't think I like my dancing girl enough to draw her over and over. For me, I found that a bit of a complicated pose, but thought I'd give it a try anyway. JJacks is right with his crits, it's out of wack. As I go, I'll try and find something like your Batman, that really appeals to me and do what you suggest. At the moment, I'm concerned with getting my proportions right, and chucking in a little bit of anatomy. If I can get one thing right and flowing, then I can move onto the next thing. Anatomy? Thanks mate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Something a bit better - I hope

These are both from ref. Lets know what you think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

three more, varied

The babe looks a bit hippy, but I rechecked the ref, and she's to the photo proportions. Looks slimmer in colour. The vamp was just a mess about, whilst I watched the footy, we lost. My humble man, I'm quite happy with. This is all practice stuff, on my journey to hopefully better things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketches. I like that nekkid babe on the last post Good shading. Try using crosshatching. Very, very fine overlaying lines to build up your tones. I own three books by Giovanni Civardi. Look him up at Barnes and Noble, Borders or any bookstore online. He draws exactly the way I would like to for sketching anatomy studies. His crosshatching skills are amazing! BTW, on the profile sketch of the face, it's too squashed. The forehead looks long compared to the rest of the features. But I have no photo of the original person to compare though. I love the hair! Great work with that!

Keep it up! You're doing great! Rekindle that love for drawing

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

17. The Following User Says Thank You to darkchild For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A little fantasy

thanks DC. I see what you mean about the forehead on Lady Claudette. Funny, I never saw it until you mentioned it. I'd redo it, except that hair took me hours. The nude chick was a colour photo a mate sent me, I gray scaled it, and worked the shading out as best as I could. Thanks for the tip on the books, I found two GC complete guide to drawing, which got rave reviews, and drawing light and shade. I think I'll get them both.
    meantime, he's a couple of fantasy sketches. Oh, and rekindle, oh yeah, all the time Stay well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol That's one pissed off looking elf! Did he get laid off from the Keebler Factory?!

I like the concept for the fantasy drawing. The first thing that hit me was the proportions of the anatomy. The hips are way too narrow for a healthy woman. Even back in the days of corsets the hips were still wider. If you were to really study some photos of women you'll notice that the midsection doesn't really taper in that severely, well atleast not very often.

I'm glad you found those books by Civardi I love his work! They're very inspirational!

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Small update

Couple of babes to quell my hunger, and an Anime, which are always fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The best advice I can give to 'beginners' is to draw as much as you can from ref.
    Once you improved your technique with drawing from photo's, it will become much easier.
    Oh and; try not to smudge the shadows. Try to shade it with lines (not hard lines, you know what I mean ).

So no shadows like this http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1239793181 (even if it looks good, it also can look good without smudging and only the lines)
    Yes to shadows like this: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1239661922

This is just some tip from me, there are probably people who disagree with mee .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love that babe with the fantasy swimsuit You've got creativity so just go buck wild with it! I agree with Marlisa in the usage of refs. I use tons of them and I also supplement my normal art with just "out of the head" type stuff. It's good to have a balance of both. When you draw from memory you'll get a perspective of how much understanding of the subject (in this case human anatomy) that you have acquired. It's a good way to continually challenge yourself without feeling like you're doing too many studies.

IMHO: There are artists who swear by tortillons/blending stumps and others who like crosshatching. I've tried both methods and they both yield good results. But in order to smudge there must be something on the page first or applied to the instrument in which the smudging can begin. I would highly recommend crosshatching for tone. You can always blend a bit AFTER you crosshatch to give a bit more depth of gradient tone. My 2 cents

Doing great! Keep those ideas flowing! Suggestion: Maybe try and action pose this time instead of static.

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marlisa, thanks for dropping by. I'll do that, I'll brush up on my hatching and cross hatching. I draw pretty much from ref at the moment, with my own slant to it.
    DC, yep, I think the Mrs gave him a knock back I checked the hips on the ref, and they were pretty spot on, probably out of prop being fantasy, some use a lot of licence. I'll do as you suggest and have a bash at an action pose. I'm posting from work right now, my computer went beserk at the weekend, and is at the repairers, hope to have it back tomorrow. Handy being able to get online at work, although they watch it pretty closely, so I can only do it briefly. I can't put sketches up from here though.
    Thanks for your comments guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

action girls for DC

Here we have a couple of action girls doodles for Darkchild, as requested. LOL. My pussy, I spent a lot of time on, and the lovely Faith.
    Yes, I have my computer back. My computer and my pencils are my most important things. Until next time..........

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice portrait studies I really like the cat, you got me believing it's fuzzy and soft. Great pencil work! I think you are steadily improving with each sketch. You've got some great action poses as well. It's good to do these because the body is so much different in terms of how the muscles are when in motion. Plus topless babes running and kicking are awesome!

I don't have any crits for you now other than just keep drawing and posting. The more you draw the more progression you will see!

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good start..., but keep concentrate in proportion n anatomy first....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Couple of doodles from lunchtime, all I had time to do.
    DC, thanks. Now I've got the hand working, and some idea of shape. Now I have to work on proportion and anatomy.
    bharat, thanks for dropping in. Yep, as I mentioned to DC, I now have to get that end of things happening. Just have to coax it out of the end of my pencil. LOL Thanks for your advice guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving the last batch with all the T&A But the one that impressed me the most is the girl that is about to jump over the fence. Very good positioning of the body, it conveys exactly what you intended!

Girl grabbing her boobs, her waist is a bit exaggerated. Great work on the hands, although her left seems to have an extra finger. Your smaller action thumbnails turn out a lot better than your static poses. Great work! Keep them coming!

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

29. The Following User Says Thank You to darkchild For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mmmmm, sorry about the finger, but with knockers like that, you need extra's. LOL. Thanks for the kind words, I didn't think the action shots were that hot, but at this stage, if I can get something close to okay, I'm a little bit pleased. I need to do more of that sort of thing for practice.I had another bitch of a day today, however I did get to do a bit more on Nat, thought I'd post her for comment, even though I have more to do. Got some other stuff in the works, I'll try and finish over the weekend, but I have a house full of kids Sat night. Ugh!NO, I love them all, as long as they don't stay too long. LOL. I bashed out a face in painter, I'll post it tomorrow night.It's not brilliant, but it's my first attempt. Just put on your foggy dark shades
    Stay tuned

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving those studies! You've got the right idea with the hands but try not to make them so angular (sp?). Soften up the corners a bit. Kind of like the fist below that. Good work on the back study. I can't wait to see your first ever painter piece! It doesn't matter if the piece is good or not, what matters is that you've taken the first step to learner how to use the program. You can only improve with each use!

On the study of the lady sitting. I like it Her face is too small but her hair makes up for the disproportion. The shoes are very nicely done. I think you got the pose down pretty well. But you said you weren't done yet, so I'll look forward to updates!

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanks for stopping by my sketchbook, i like your stuff, the last few posts are great, i can see improvement on the first page. Keep it up, especially the stuff from reference. Feel free to come back to my sb anytime.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bradtron, thanks for dropping by, and will do.
    DC, yeah they are a bit chunky, I thought that too. Truckies hands LOL.
    Actually that scan on the girl didn't turn out right. The first one she was fat and dumpy, and the one I posted, after adjustment, she went a bit skinny. After I've worked it a bit more, I'll see if I can get it scanned right. My sketch, her face doesn't look that bad. Thanks for your crits, mate.
    The new posts are my first attempt at charcoal sketching. Just thought I'd giive it a go. I quite like it, although it's not forgiving, and messy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    photo ref

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketches here. The last color sketch is impressive. The eye's seem well defined. The face around the nose seems to bright. Looks like it needs more contrast. Keep it going. Sure you'll see ur work improve n very short time.

-=E4sY's=- Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool digital! I like it. For your first time I think you did great... you should have seen my virgin run in PS5... disaster! You've got something that resembles a face and those eyes look great Maybe put a touch of shadow to give some indication of a nose. Either way great work!

Charcoal is messy, that's why I choose not to use it. But the beauty is that it's not reflective like graphite, so you can take great photographs of your work without the need to light it a certain way! You can buy fixatives at an art shop for your finished pieces. Basically it's a spray that goes over your piece that will dry and make everything permanent. I do it to some of my work in sketchbook so the graphite doesn't get onto the opposite page. I draw on both sides, while I have a friend who only draws on one.

Keep up those studies, you're doing great!

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should pick up some vine charcoal for your sketching, vine charcoal is incredibly cheap and easily the most forgiving drawing tool I've used. Just don't expect to get anything too permanent with it, but for quick sketches it works great.

Got a couple minutes? Help me improve!
    My Sketchbook | Finished Illustrations

Elsewhere on the web:
    Behance | Deviantart | Steammachines | Mcthrill.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    E4sY, yep, plenty of errors, but it turned out a bit better than I thought it would. The eye's I had filling my screen, and I reworked them and reworked them. AS this was my first serious attemptwith Painter, I don't think I'll waste too much time on it. I might mess about with it one day when I have nothing to do, as if that will ever happen. Thanks for the compliments.
    DC my old mate, nice CC as usual, thank you. As you like my girls, check out the latest
    gmc9987, thank you.

no time this week, end of month at work, always hectic.Just two that I had to work hard on. I've never done two figures together before. Mmmmmmm, but it was a pleasure.Took me ages, still working on it, but got it this far.
    Thanks for dropping by guys.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1