Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last few studies are a great improvement. It's really nice watching your progression.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, you have improved.
    Now, work through those anatomy books. I probably should get back to studies too.
    It's amazing how you say you suck, yet every now and then you post a piece that's very well painted. I mean I know there are some errors in the anatomy or perspective, but overall your painting skills are pretty solid. Learning to draw takes a lot of time and effort, so just stick with it and you'll get where you want to get.
    Someone once told me that the reason why I don't see if I'm improving is because I grow, my knowledge grows along with my art, so by the time I paint better, I know of even more things that I still do wrong.
    It's the same thing with many other skills, I believe. I'm also a ballroom dancer and it's always a struggle no matter what level you're on. I once hoped that when I get to the level all those better dancers were at the time, it'll be easier, because I'll have learned many things by this time. Now I'm where they were, and it's not. It's true, I have learned many things on my way here, but it's not easier, because I've also found out about new things I have to learn to get even better.

Just keep painting!

It doesn't cost You much to leave a comment in my sketchbook, and it can help me a lot.

My new sketchbook

Follow me on facebook or WiPnation or Twitter!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rafal Dorsz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well said, Gildorek!
    your bridgman sketches are spot on! keep going at them!
    very nice environment paintings aswell.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the past half-year or so, I've definitely been considering dropping these pursuits altogether, but I feel it'd be more of a tragedy to stop than to just keep going even if it means sucking.

OldOmen: Thanks. Hopefully the improvement will continue.

Gildorek: Thank you for your words, sir. I think you definitely nailed it on the head. I know I look back to the first still life I posted on this thread, and clearly there is improvement, but now I have a much better understanding of what I want to achieve, and it seems I'm farther away from that goal, because the goal is a moving target. But I guess all you can do is keep going. And btw I think it's pretty amazing that you can be a ballroom dancer and still find time and energy to draw as well.

CrackerJoe: Thank you. I definitely intend to finish off Bridgman's book.

I don't know if anyone's ever heard of Ira Glass, but here's a thing that really helped me understand this "gap" between expectation and ability I've been struggling with.

Attached Images Attached Images          

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Getting super sick of Bridgman. After doing all these studies, I've definitely come to feel he's a lot less than what he's cracked up to be. He's gets awfully lazy with a lot of his drawings, and he has some very bizarre abstractions that I feel really aren't anatomically descriptive, or even at times correct. But I'm masochistic and already halfway through, so I may as well finish it up. Plus, looking ahead, his arms, hands, legs and feet seem fairly articulate, so hopefully the worst is now behind me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude ur working hard and its really really paying off.. i liked ur studies - models - sculputers .. ur improving fast .. im so impressed great job

i love to do everything and learn everything... i hate to be cornered in one place.. i believe u can be anything u want... Your mind is limitless... check out my sketchbook ... u will find a bit of everything

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=203429

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rain Walker: Thank you - I wish I felt as you do. From my perspective, it doesn't feel like the work is paying off at all, and I suppose that's what gets so frustrating. Anybody can copy anatomy books. But thank you again, I appreciate it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Toss in your own drawings, test this "knowledge", only way to see where you stand, cause anyone can just copy bridgman

...the imperfections make it interesting...

[sketchbook] [deviantart]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dope Fiend: I intend to, but my main focus with copying Bridgman is trying to break some of my bad drawing habits like making too many scratchy marks and being too indecisive, and I feel I've improved in those respects. I'm actually fairly familiar with most of the anatomy from previous studies, and this is mostly to get my drawing arm making the right motions.

That being said, it's going to take a long time to get comfortable drawing hands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't eat. Can't sleep. Trying to figure out when drawing stopped being fun. Seems like many years ago at this point. Seems like ages.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're doing very well! But since it doesn't seem fun, do something fun. Make fanart or just doodle. Not all art has to be serious. Why on't you try doing some fanart for your favorite book series or TV show? Maybe start a sketchblog and take sill random requests.

Also, I too feel anatomy books lie what you are doing is kind of bullshit. I've gone through a few and I much prefer drawing from life

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing studies! Keep 'em up!

:: www.TomDeVis.com
    :: Facebook !
    :: have a nice day

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey..

first, I really like your drawings. What impresses me most are those sculpted models on the first page. They look very nice.

It is admirable how you started to do those studies, even though you have drawn for years, only to get rid of your bad drawing habits. This is exactly what i should do but I am too lazy :/
    The only thing i can tell you is to not try too hard. Giving your best is a good thing, but if you do nothing else, only drawing those studies every day, it will make you crazy and drawing will stop being fun, like you said yourself. Do what cannibalcarnivale said. Drawing is about imagination and creativity as well as technique.
    Enough motivational ranting Keep up the good work and take a break from time to time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cannibalcarnivale: Yeah, I agree with you, but the problem I have is I have a really hard time getting the stuff in my head onto paper. There are a lot of things I really want to draw, but can't because of my limited abilities (as you can probably see from a lot of the earlier work on this thread). I'm just hoping by being militant about doing studies I can make some progress towards the things I really want to do. The downside, of course, is that drawing becomes something of a daily torture. And I'm not really sure how to remedy this catch-22. And I prefer drawing from life as well, but because I've graduated from school, I no longer have access to models

TomDeVis: Thanks.

Lumen: Haha, I actually feel really angry with myself for not having worked nearly hard enough these past ten years. I'm desperately trying to make up for lost time, and failing miserably. But thank you for the "motivational ranting," I appreciate it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing studies, mate! Your lines are all becoming very precise and accurate! And tbh, I couldnt copy those drawings so perfectly! Keep at it!

you don't suck at all, man!

Sketchbook
    Now crit the shit out of me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    inspirational man. i really need to do the same and crackdown on the studies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tawnos: Thank you. The lines are precise when the lines are already there to draw from. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get them precise when I'm drawing from my mind

kennybrann: Thanks - you should. This kind of procrastination only leads to regret and lost time as I am coming to learn the proverbially hard way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice Bridgeman studies

Last edited by dan liimatta; June 1st, 2011 at 12:35 PM.
    SB. p31 updated 25.04.2012.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About ready to blow out my brains.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I realize that page of labelled muscle anatomy is ancient but I have to point out and laugh at "shlongus longus" and "benis"
    ...lol
    I understand your grind. I've just started my own and it's already tiresome. It's clear that you care a great deal about this, though, so maybe the tedium is worth it? I don't know.. I hope it is because I have a feeling that I too am in for some long hours of cranking out anatomy studies that I don't particularly enjoy doing. Oh well, all for the sake of improving at the more enjoyable, creative, emotion-invoking (etc etc) side of art, right? I think it's all worth it, and you must too or you wouldn't be doing this.
    Just keep on keepin' on. I'm sure you would have anyway, but it never hurts to know that one more person is supporting you.
    Good luck

24. The Following User Says Thank You to isokarhu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What Iso said is correct. Anatomy Studies suck, but they are how all great artists improve greatly. I've been watching your studies and believe it or not, you ARE improving. Mabye take a few days break from anatomy drawings and do a project. Do not think that you cant do your own drawings just because you may mess up. Do not be afraid to mess up, as we all learn from our mistakes. Art shouldn't be stupid and grueling work, make it fun and make it your own. Imagine how bored Bridgman must've been! O.o Keep on it, you will be great

Visit my SketchPad!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SirEvil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    isokarhu: I'm not entirely sure it's worth it. I mean, it's been over 10 years for me doing this stuff and at this rate I'll probably be 80 before I get to the point where I can do the things I really want to do. This sketchbook is obviously only a fraction of the total work I've done, and if I were to take that all into account it'd get really depressing. But thanks for the support - I appreciate it.

SirEvil: Unfortunately I've been doing stupid and grueling work for most of my life and I really don't know how to do anything else.

In any case, the last Bridgman study. On to Loomis...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And for the sake of posterity, Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life... I certainly hope this wasn't a waste of time. Of course, Frazetta did it in a day...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you are having troubles drawing from imagination, then start simple and draw something that you admire. Ex: Your favorite video game character, cartoon character, a real life model, anything that you can observe and copy that inspires you. All great artists start out copying other people, its the way we learn. Then, drawing something transforms into, " Hey, i think this would be better if i tweaked_____ a little bit" and BOOM! You have your own drawing that is unique and original. Join my sketch group in the community mentoring forum called Just another sketch group, or challege yourself to doodle out ideas once a day. Experiment, dont say that you can't, because we can, we all can. Just try, dont let great talent go to waste.

Visit my SketchPad!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to SirEvil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really great stuff here! I'm really digging all the Bridgman studies.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    oh man - the bridgeman

& I replied to your - as said I enjoy people writing - the problem I had was that the examples you use made your comment a problem.

& I always fear that I'll grow defensive about my work - I don't want that, and I hope it didn't come across like it - for if you still stand by your edge comment I'd prefer it if you would expand upon it and not use experimental pieces that stand out just when it comes to the softness for it.

SB. p31 updated 25.04.2012.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had a bit of a lull there for a variety of reasons. Decided to take a little bit of SirEvil's advice to heart. I've always been enamored with Bruce Timm's figurative style, so I decided to alternate between studies of some of his stuff and drawing from photos. Certainly learning a lot about rhythm and simplification, in stark contrast to the burly ugliness of Bridgman. I'll get back to Loomis eventually, just sick to death of drawing books.

Hopefully I'll be able to find my way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GOOD GOD HOW DO I STOP SCRIBBLING?

Honestly, at this point, I feel I'm on the verge of being a failed artist. There are those who make it and those who don't, and I'm beginning to feel I might seriously be heading towards the latter end of the spectrum.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1