I've been feeling down about my work lately? and I'M DESPRITE. - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: I've been feeling down about my work lately? and I'M DESPRITE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vayne,

I have a little story for you (and the others who want to learn from this thread).

Early this morning, around 3.30 AM I woke up and at the same moment I realised something was terribly wrong. The entire world seemed to colapse, breathing was not feeling right, pain on my chest, my heartbeat was too fast or at least felt this way, I felt somewhat desorientated, was having stomache problems and was having some very urgent feelings about not wanting to die yet.
    First thing on my mind was to call emergency.

But instead I stayed in bed for a couple of moments, found out I was focussing too much on myself, went downstairs, got my sketchbook and made some sketches while getting myself together again.
    Took about half an hour to 45 minutes then it was gone.
    It's not the first panick attack I've had but the first severe one in a couple of months. And believe me, it's not fun to have one when you are alone at home at night.

When I tell my counselor about this she will probably tell me how great I handled it. If I would have told people at work they would probably have said the same (all they know is that I had a very bad night, I'll have a talk with my supervisor soon about this). And people here might also say the same.

You know what? When having a panic attack you really don't care about how others think about you. Even now I can't care about it.
    Sure it's nice to have people cheer how great you handle things. But they ain't there at 3.30 AM in the morning to hold your hand. Closest to that is emergency, but they won't be cheering. Good friends are also a good option, but they won't be very happy with a call at that time. And considering they live at least 30 mins away they won't hold my hand either.
    I know how I feel about it, I did ok, was able to settle the main part of the the attack fast. But it's just what I do, I can't do much better and the result was fine. For me. That's what matters.

Bottom line: Stop thinking about how others think or should think of you. It doesn't matter. It really doesn't. It doesn't help either.
    If you need help ask for it. But don't expect people to cheer because you think you are awesome. Even if you are.

Last edited by the_jos; April 14th, 2009 at 12:49 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_jos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The reason you aren't improving is you won't leave your artistic comfort zone. You are drawing the same type of stuff, over and over again, in the same style, in the same way, time and time again (going by your DA and sketchbook).

There aren't any artistic secrets, and no one is holding info back. If you want to improve, do the work. Draw from life. Paint from life. You can still do the "cool" stuff you enjoy doing, but it can't be all you do. There are a TON of great and useful threads on this forum. There are books on drawing and painting, but they might not have dragons or kick ass warriors in them. Don't worry about ass pats, page views or stars. Each of those are meaningless.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to J Wilson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Saksida View Post
    vayne, I understand you... the problem is that you are doing this for the wrong reasons... I LOVE art, it gives meaning to my life, some times life gets me off art, and when I stop creating and getting far away from art, my life starts feeling empty, then I start to wonder why... and then I start painting again and I feel the energy, the fuel of my life; my veins refill with pure muse and I feel alive again (ok ok I`ll stop LOL)

The point is... why would I care for "stars" or "ratings" or whatever the fuck people thinks about my art if CREATING is what gives meaning to my life?

Stop making art for your ego and start LIVING art, ENJOYING every moment of it, it will make you feel complete and in total harmony with the universe... even if I like to draw horrible shit like putrid mutant zombies with fucking snakes coming out of their eyes LOL

Even THAT is a statement... lots of people feel DISGUSTED by what I do! if I cared for that, I would draw stuff that people liked... I don`t know, baby angels with unicorns and pegasus flying aroud rainbows or stuff like that, but no... that doesn`t make me happy.
    Well to answer your question the reason I care is because I do care about my work. I do love what I do, and I want to share my work with others and for them to enjoy and not dislike it. so when I low low ratings and such it makes me feel that people don't care about what I do. Also I think it stems from when I was a kid. I was the kid that everybody love to hate and pick. One name they use to call me is the cuddie queen and stinky. And art is the only thing that people noticed me for and allowed me to start conversions with others. I back then didn't want to be the outcast, the person with no friends. As I got older it did eventually stop, and I guess I still have the fear of being alone with no one to call a friend.

Critiques on my work always welcome!!

Sketchbook:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=229693

Dorkthrone is offline The skyline was beautiful on fire. Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtZealot View Post
    New rating, 6 stars and what it means:

You better have an F'ing job in the game or movie industry, or be a professional illustrator or teaching at a college or some shit by now. If not, its time to STOP DRAWING and get your ass off conceptart.org if only for a few hours and go to an interview, for the love of all things good, do something! it's time to get paid to do what you do.

I believe the star system can go up to 11.

You are a god amongst men. All artists bow down before your might daily. You even probably have a temple with a large amount of followers.

I probably killed the joke, didn't I?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, especially referencing spinal tap.

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.