Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I've been feeling down about my work lately? and I'M DESPRITE.

Thanks

I've been feeling down about my work lately? and I'M DESPRITE.

While, the reasons why:

* I feel unapperacated and irgonred for all the hard work I put into my pieces.
    * My CA gallery is rated a 2 1/2, I'm not really that bad I'm i? note; I compared myelf to others with 2-3 range and I'm thinking what ?
    * and I know my place that I still have alot of work to do. I've always considered my level at interimate status.
    * I've been doubting if I have a place in the art world or that people just don't understand what I'm putting out.
    *People are always saying that I have great potinental and people hardly ever say that my work is good and if they do it's my mom or another person that is close to me.
    * Poeple hardly reply to my posts here, I update my sketchbook often and only get 1-2 comments a week at most. how can I improve like that?
    * ...and when someone finaly responds it is ether an ass, someone who doesn't know what they talking about, or someone who sugar coats ( I just hate that).
    * I also feel that I'm missing something I can't put my finger on in my work and no one tells me what it is because I'm nice and they don't want to hurt my feelings. ( trust me I don't care if my feelings get hurt I just want to get better, and I'll get over it)
    *This has been going on for a while and I'm feel fascated and that I'm just going to brake and explode ( like for about 1-2 years now).
    *I know there are few people that have been helpful and I don't want to undermind them sorry.
    * I've also been on DA for a year with only about 10,000 pg reviews and only 140 watchers. with people hardly faving anything, or leaving any comments whats so ever.

PLZ, people be honest what's soo wrong with my art/me/ maybe others ( I don't think it other people, but whatever). Like metioned there are some people here that are being surrportive, like in my last post. when I got upset about critz.

P.s. or maybe I'm just a drama emo queen.
    Critiques on my work always welcome!!

Sketchbook:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=229693
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TZA View Post
    Wait what?

Sketchbook:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is."

there
    In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Sounds like you need some "Fuck Yeah" too!
    Try this => http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=135551

Keep it up, Forget positive feedback's...This is something uncommon here!
    Last edited by EagleVision; April 10th, 2009 at 05:03 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to EagleVision For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by squidmonk3j View Post
    "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is."

there

Yeah thats, true. I thouht about qiuting I couldn't find myself to do that. I just love art to much I guess thats why I freaking out. I just want to have a kareer in art.

Sketchbook:

Thanks

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleVision View Post
    Sounds like you need some "Fuck Yeah" too!
    Try this => http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=135551

Keep it up, Forget positive feedback's...This is something uncommon here!
    Thanks, that helps eventh ough I still need some time to vent.

Sketchbook:

Thanks
    Damn straight! Yeah, look at that thread. It's inspiring on so many levels.

Hey, vayne - just keep drawing and participating. I don't get much feedback on my sketchbook, either but you know what? I do art because I love it and posting it online and getting crits and advice is only part of that. My end goal is just like yours and many others: to improve and supercede myself on my weaknesses and buff up my strengths. Also, you have way more watchers than me on DA, man but you gotta get out there on that site, too and be active. I also don't get many comments on there but I've noticed that ever since I've started getting serious about the quality of my art, people are noticing. I'm also a constant forum-monger, so that also helps.

It takes time. Just keep chugging away. Before you know it, the mountains will be at your back and the open valley ahead of you.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShroudStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    * I feel unapperacated and irgonred for all the hard work I put into my pieces.
    First, you will get a better response to a post like this if you take the time to spell check what you write. This might just be a forum, but it is a forum full of professionals and other student artists who you are asking for help. Take the time to show people you really care about getting feedback by not making us have to decipher what you're trying to say.

* My CA gallery is rated a 2 1/2, I'm not really that bad I'm i? note; I compared myelf to others with 2-3 range and I'm thinking what ?

* Poeple hardly reply to my posts here, I update my sketchbook often and only get 1-2 comments a week at most. how can I improve like that?

* I've also been on DA for a year with only about 10,000 pg reviews and only 140 watchers. with people hardly faving anything, or leaving any comments whats so ever.

*People are always saying that I have great potinental and people hardly ever say that my work is good and if they do it's my mom or another person that is close to me.
    Do you see the common thread in these statements?

You are more worried about other people telling you that you're improving and noticing you than you are about actually improving. This is a problem.

In each of these, you are talking about the reaction other people have to your art. You're not talking about improving your art, you're talking about garnering more attention for it. While those two often go hand in hand (better art gets more attention, clearly), the attention should be a byproduct of you seeking to improve your art. It should not be the focus. Think about why you're drawing. If it's just so you can get page views and sketchbook stars, you might want to re-think pursuing it as a career if that's your intention. A lot of the work you do as a concept artist will never see the light of day. It will be under NDA and by the time you can post it, it will be a couple of years old. So if you need kudos and gratification to keep pushing you forward, you will run into problems.

Turn off your DA pageviews, stop checking your CA gallery rating, and focus on your art. Focus on learning and advancing. You are not at the point where you have to rely on critique in order to be able to advance as an artist. If people give you feedback, that's great. If not, it doesn't prevent you from working on things you need to work on.

Draw for the love of drawing. The attention will come with time, experience, and improvement.

* and I know my place that I still have alot of work to do. I've always considered my level at interimate status.
    * I also feel that I'm missing something I can't put my finger on in my work and no one tells me what it is because I'm nice and they don't want to hurt my feelings. ( trust me I don't care if my feelings get hurt I just want to get better, and I'll get over it)
    You need to study foundations.

Right now your art is going in the direction that art tends to get to if someone just draws whatever is in their head without studying how to draw it correctly. Anatomy, values, color, lighting, proportions, shape, form, perspective. These are things that you can learn through studying and from observation. It's not always fun, but if you want to learn the technical side of art, start drawing from life. Start drawing figures from posemaniacs.com or characterdesigns.com. Start reading anatomy books by Bridgman and Loomis (which you can find as online downloads rather easily).

Check out the tutorials, tips, and tricks forum here on CA. Buy some of the downloads. Actively seek out any information you can get your hands on and absorb it. There is a lot to learn, but there are also a lot of resources out there to learn from.

There is a science to art that some people ignore with the mentality of "art is an expression of your soul/karma/inner child/purple people eater/vagina/whatever". Which is a great mentality to have if you want to be the guy who embalms wild animals, calls it art, and garners a lot of money and attention. But if you want to create illustrations, paintings, concepts, etc that really capture a viewers attention and imagination, you need to know all of the technical stuff that comes with a lot of study, practice, and repetition.

* ...and when someone finaly responds it is ether an ass, someone who doesn't know what they talking about, or someone who sugar coats ( I just hate that).
    What matters is that they respond. You are going to get people who are going to respond with "u suck" or "omg ur so good". It is your responsibility to decide which comments are helpful, which aren't, and which you should listen to.

Be careful about throwing away comments and critique on the premise that they don't know what they're talking about. You don't have to be an artist to be able to identify good illustration from bad illustration. Many art directors are not artists themselves, but they know what it takes to make a good, commercially appealing illustration.

You're going to get frustrated. You're going to get discouraged. At some point you might actually have people telling you "You can't do this because you're not good enough." That's when you have to decide whether you're going to listen to them, get in a rut, and let it waste your time or whether you're going to say "suck my scrotum" and go draw.

P.s. or maybe I'm just a drama emo queen.
    A little bit, yeah.

15. The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to Mock For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ShroudStar View Post
    Damn straight! Yeah, look at that thread. It's inspiring on so many levels.

Hey, vayne - just keep drawing and participating. I don't get much feedback on my sketchbook, either but you know what? I do art because I love it and posting it online and getting crits and advice is only part of that. My end goal is just like yours and many others: to improve and supercede myself on my weaknesses and buff up my strengths. Also, you have way more watchers than me on DA, man but you gotta get out there on that site, too and be active. I also don't get many comments on there but I've noticed that ever since I've started getting serious about the quality of my art, people are noticing. I'm also a constant forum-monger, so that also helps.

It takes time. Just keep chugging away. Before you know it, the mountains will be at your back and the open valley ahead of you.
    Thanks

Sketchbook:

Thanks
    stop crying and get better at what you're trying to accomplish

everything takes time, have patience

again have patience

every one has problems, great artist struggle to pay bills , sickness, addiction, etc.

nothing is too massive to complete

you do not need someone to push you to go way beyond your expectations

sometimes what you need is complete silence so you can concentrate on what you're working on and also a problem is never too small to correct

in conclusion if you know what you want , work hard at it

determination is something i can't really explain, you kinda have to drive yourself towards that purpose or goal you've set no matter how the odds might seem and just not give up

18. The Following User Says Thank You to rapxic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Too bad some of that hard work wasn't put into a spell checker :/

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast