Gallery show in 3 weeks...help please?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gallery show in 3 weeks...help please?

So, yeah, I have my final gallery show for my BFA thesis going up in just a few weeks and I have lots of paintings that are a long ways from done. I really would appreciate a different set of eyes than mine and my professors (since everything I do, finished or not is 'perfect' the way it is...) I do have quite a few paintings that I would like critiqued, but for the moment I'm just gonna do the one that I am working on at the moment. I'll probably just keep updating this thread with the new ones once I start them too. Don't want to take up too much space. ;-) Anyways, I'm just gonna concentrate on the ones I really like, the rest of them are good enough the way they are.

So this first painting is 24"x30" and I'm running into an anatomy/what looks alright rut. and having very little idea of what to do with the bottom of the painting. The first pic is before I started working on it again, so that you can see the unfinished bottom. The second is where I am at now. Thanks guys.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks OK to me. If I could change one thing, it would be to move the entire figure up on the canvas and center it a bit more. If you don't have a mind to do that much repainting, I'd say just finish rendering out what you already have down.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I really wish you'd pick one of the light sources as your main one. I see what you're going for with the two light sources, but I'd suggest making one of them much stronger than the other (the sun being the natural choice to be stronger). That would help immensely to add depth and form to the piece.

Anatomically, I'd say the legs and the breasts bother me the most. Are you working from reference?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Giacomo : I think I'm a little too far along and way too close to my dead line to move the figure up, but I know to watch closer for placement in the next one I start. Thanks!

Noah : I could never decide which light source to use, so I think I just got carried away and did both pretty evenly. Originally I only had the one light source in the front with different items hanging from the tentacles which changed into the sun and moon. I haven't started reworking the back/sun lighting yet, but would it be possible for me to just play up that lighting and leave the front, or should I tone that down? And I haven't had a referance since I started it which was mostly me dancing around in front of a mirror trying to paint and pose. I tried reworking the breasts from the original version, where they looked more like weird man pecs, but I guess I didn't get them right yet. The legs I wanted to be elongated, but I'm pretty sure the back thigh got way too long somewhere. I have a few anatomy books around, I should probably pull thouse out. Thanks for your comment. :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah I have a special place in my heart for octopi. I really like the juxtaposition of the figure, tentacles, and horse skull. She also looks hundreds of feet tall, are you referencing HP Lovecraft?

I'm not sure what effect you're trying to get with the lower half of the painting, her legs are sort of tentacle-y and it feels like she's drifting off to the right. If that's the case, I think you should remove the mountains and just let her float without ground. If you want her to be standing on the ground, I did I quick sketch to get her weight on her feet. Also I would bring the horizon line up to give the picture some depth and to give you some room to describe the ground better, right now there isn't much space to work with.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Hi Beautygirl,
    I hope this migth help you:
    left arm and hand need to be retouched. Altough at this point, perfectly done anatomy is far from needed. You could go/continue with a 'weird anatomy' instead.
    You definitely have to enhance the ambiance. Working with ligths and shadows as Noah suggested.
    Moving the subject more to the middle wouldn't work for this painting, in my opinion of course. You need to play with light and shadow to create something destabilizing.
    Finally, it seems like you have painted around the subject and that's not really fitting here. you can also use the color of your background in your subject. (Working by layers can help you create an ambiance and links between them and make it easier to create light and shadow).

Gosh, that was long...good luck with your work!

Yelle

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.