Thread: Team Chow II: Super High Five Squad Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a buddy of mine is hooked on it, saw him playing it and went from there. got anything you can throw in now m0uS3r?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Note: Have up-dated the second dwarf design sheet with a couple more sketches.

Over the last couple of days I've been trying to come up with semi-final designs for several characters to keep my options open. M0uS3r, I know you said you've been working on a dwarf so if you don't really have anything else, I'm quite happy for you to take that. Saying that however, the strongest design for a character of mine was probably that of my dwarf so I'd like to take it if you've come up with something else. The only request I have at the moment is that I do a bard classed character (hope everyone's ok with that).

Anyway, the first sheet is some designs I did for an elf. The first Idea I had was to give the elves four masks which they never took off in the presence of anyone other than their own race; This would sustain the illusion that elves had four faces and thus were superior in combat. After some thought, however, I decided it wasn't elven enough so I kept the front mask only and gave the character leaf-like ears which were to be coloured in a gradient from red at the base to yellow at the tip.
    (Note: Tron is now doing a half-elf character so I did not proceed with this character)

The second character I tried was a sprite. I kept going back and forth with designs, giving some wings and some none. At one point I thought of making it a clockwork sprite where the starter key would magically turn into wings once it was operating. The only idea I liked really from this character was the face which was inspired from the elven mask.

I recently asked Daestwen about fantasy race fiction and in a reply she said we didn't even have to use an established fantasy race/creature and I thus interpreted this to mean we could come up with our own, unique race just so long as it was fantasy-like and read as a character rather than a creature. However, I've asked her to confirm whether or not that is what she meant but no reply as of yet. Nevertheless, I felt the urge to come up with something unique just in case. -
    -The character I've come up with is currently called Mr. Clock, though I wanted it to be gender-neutral and thus the name will probably change. The idea with this character was to base it largely on a grandfather clock though to also have elements of a mantle clock and a slight oriental feel to it. Most of what you see is infact a costume but I've really yet to work out what the thing inside looks like. As you can see in one of the sketches, I've given him/it a hurdy-gurdy as I really like the idea of the bard and infact in a weird way I think it suits him/it.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Prime, I just took a look at your sketches. I see some potential in a few of them. I'll expand on them a little in some quick run-offs today to show you how I see them developing. I think the clockwork guy is a good enough idea but it may be a bit complicated. We don't want to get too bogged down and have to rush at the end yknow. Don't abandon it yet. I want to see what I can do with it really quick.

Here are my sketches on my half-elf girly. I already have a basic idea for the evil version but right now I'm just working on the good. Her upper torso is really busy so i'm trying to figure out the balance. Hit me with crits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Busy busy. Here's a quick update of what I've done. Going to add the knots and whatnot to her back. Threw in some color to see what it'll look like. I might just skip the background and move on to the evil version. Ignore the hand and feet, gonna fix those soon.

Time is winding down. Prime, keep going with your idea. I still haven't had a chance to work out the sketches. I'll see what I can manage tomorrow but the outlook is bleak. Really need some feedback guys. We don't have that much time left.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not hearing anything from you guys. We need to get it together. I'm going to try again to catch up with everyone. Here's my final for the good elf. I'll have the evil one done long before the end of the month.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for not posting before now, Tron. I had hoped to have some stuff to share but that'll be coming in the next day or two.

The elf is looking really good. Firstly though, I think the dress needs a little more work; right now it looks like it's made of loose cloth but how does it stay attached to her body as it is? One idea might be to add some string around the chest area so it's almost like a corset. Also, the shading on the nearest wind-blown part is a little off- I can't quite work out what's going on with the shading. The only other small crit. is about the yellow glow effect around her- maybe try softening that up so it is more of a glow and less of a defined line.

As far as my character goes, I was struggling a bit with the design and trying to really define the character. However, I did have a bit of a break through today with the idea that rather than a grandfather clock, it'd be largely now a metronome shape which makes much more sense for a bard. As I said, I'll try dump several images tomorrow and possibly bits for an evil version.

I don't know how Stephen and mouser are getting along but as Tron and I discussed a few days ago, I think we just need to focus on doing as much as we can at this point even if it's some rough sketches and a character description.

<Up-date 25/08>
    Finally got something done today. Mostly just rough sketches again but I'd rather work out the designs this way so I have more time for the final pieces.
    I'm now calling the character Tempi (no gender) but this is subject to change still.

Good Tempi
    -The first piece is a quick drawing of more or less the final design but there are a few embellishments I want to add to the final.
    -The second piece is a scene which I've had stuck in my head for a while now and which gives some indication as to the height and atmosphere I've associated with the character. If you imagine that this character floats as it moves and the jovial yet ethereal songs appear to come not from where we may imagine the mouth to be but from the surrounding environment.

Evil Tempi
    The final image shows one idea I liked for the face where part of the head is actually missing and you can see inside the cloak. The other part is a sketch where Tempi leads some helpless villagers pied piper style to the sea and obviously the idea is that they drown.

Last edited by Primordial Seven; August 25th, 2009 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I spent today working on the final for the good version of Tempi. Any quick changes anyone thinks I could make to better it are very welcome.

Tomorrow will be dedicated to the evil version and then 29th-30th for writing the character description and and last minute touch-ups. Does anyone feel up to posting all the bits in the final burning or would you guys like me to do it? I'll PM/e-mail everyone this if noone has replied before the 30th.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally finished the description and finals today. Unfortunately, Tron won't quite be able to make the deadline but said he should be posting his finals here soon.

Quick note to Stephen and mouser: If you have anything you've done please post it.

Finally, here's the character description for the finals:
    Good name: Tempi (translates as: That which echoes in the mind)
    Evil name: Tempus (translates as: Those who fell and wander)
    Race: Diskface
    Class: Bard

There is a single, small passage in the 'Valdic book of Myths and Legends' that is dedicated to a curious character named Tempi (sometimes known as Tempus). The passage describes it (I say 'it' because the gender could never be ascertained) as being a tall creature dressed in a long, concealing robe and strange accessories. It is said Tempi was a bard and that when it spoke the voice appeared to emanate not from the body but from the surrounding area as though it was carried on the wind from some other place. Those who met Tempi commented too on the manner of its movement, they say it glided along rather like some hovering sprite or pixie. Nothing is truly known about its race but the belief at the time was that they could only speak in riddle and rhyme and that they dwell in the realm of Middle Distance which lies between Somewhere and Nowhere. The truth is of course, Tempi is the only Diskface* known to have visited our world. Soon after Zarin's victory in the Hills of the Meiflocks, Tempi's whereabouts were lost and time soon covered any tracks.
    *A term made popular by King of that which binds the seven axes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.