Results 1 to 13 of 39
April 7th, 2009 #1
Team Chow II: Super High Five Squad Sketchbook
We are The Super High Five Squad and we're here to show you bitches how it's done!
All our updates and discussion will take place here if we can't do it over IM. We'll each be taking two characters and carrying them from conception to completion while helping each other out where we can. Post who you're taking on. Here are the contest rules.
TEAM CHOW SIX CHARACTERS
For this Team Chow you will be required to design six characters that make up the 'protaganist' side of the game/tv show/ect that we are pretending to create. There will be no villians/antagonists this round.
* Can be changed according to genre. ie, mechanical = magical = steampowered, car = boat = horse, etc.
** You may do two version of this, if you wish.
- Female, between 20 - 30. Has no memory of anything beyond a year before present.
- Stubborn to a fault, but unswervingly loyal to those she cares about, convinced that she could lose her memory of them at any time she makes the most of every moment.
- Has a tendency to say things before she thinks about them.
- Rumoured to have a second personality that can remember everything from before, a 'dark' side, as it were, with totally different personality traits. **
- A quick learner, but unlikely to pay attention unless something immediately catches her interest.
- Searching for her past but ultimately easily caught up in the present and the worries of others, tending to think of other people before herself.
- Found (to her horror) that she is more than capable of handling herself in a fight, and likely capable of killing.
- Male, between 20 - 30 (should be around Hero's age).
- The only person that the hero has any memory of, beyond the last year (though she can only remember his face), and the only person who might know who she is. He pretends he doesn't know, or refuses to say.
- Seemingly self-absorbed but actually self-destructive, has a tendency to take out his insecurities as malicious remarks on other people.
- Isn't well liked, but doesn't care, or pretends he doesn't.
- Doesn't seem to have any friends except the hero, who he would do anything for, though of course he would never say that. However, though he seems to actively despise the rest of her friends, he cares for them more than he admits.
- Whether he is helping the hero find her memory, or actively hindering her, is unclear. She believes he is helping her. He doesn't necessarily believe that it would help her to find it.
- Often disappears for long periods.
- Male or Female, between 25 - 50, well-built
- Found the Hero directly after she had lost her memory, and managed to piece her back together.
- Strong and loyal, but prone to worry. Decided to take hero under wing, and began to notice the very strange energies* and events that surrounded her.
- Completely distrusts the Shadow and the Sage and believes they are actively working against the Hero's interests, but defer's to the Hero's opinion and trust of them.
- Strengths lie in activities done with the hands - higher concepts either are not a concern, or are too hard to think about in depth.
- Honest and blunt, so sometimes seems unkind, but never means it.
- Sometimes wonders if accidently stepped in way too deep into something never meant to be approached.
- Male or Female, any age
- Does not come from the same country* as hero. Came from far away to find something, and claims that the hero will lead her to it, though will not say what it is - even whether it is a physical object* or a higher plane*.
- Often seems to be looking through the person that he/she is speaking to, and just as frequently stares off into space.
- Seems to disappear whenever trouble starts, but has saved the hero and her companion multiple times to threats that they were completely obvlivious/unaware of.
- Eats very little and sleeps less, and makes very little noise when he/she walks.
- Female, 18 - 28
- Completely in tune with anything mechanical*. Takes things apart / dissects things with disturbing regularity, and while can usually put them back together again sometimes forgets to do so, to the dismay of her friends whose objects* she 'borrows'.
- Fascinated by all methods of transport*, and has an amazingly large memory for all vehicles* and machines* but not for people or places (they are just not important!)
- Initially hired for one-off job by the Hero and the Protector, but took an instant liking to them and convinced them of her usefullness.
- Not very good in rough situations like fights, prefers cold logic of puzzles, as her size tends to work against her. However, pressed into a corner, she can make her technical* knowledge work to her advantage in place of physical prowess.
- wears her heart on her sleeve and is often very cheerful, but takes some blows very hard (a friend getting hurt, etc). Sometimes flighty.
The Rabble Rouser
- Male, 20 - 30 (should be around Hero's age)
- Met Hero + crew rather accidently and they helped out of a bit of trouble (which he had gotten himself into and was almost entirely his fault).
- Developed instant infatuation with Hero + told her that he would help her find her memory. Infatuation may or may not be sincere. Hero does not return it.
- Tends to bring trouble with him, or create it when he gets there, as he grates people's nerves.
- Charming and seemingly hollow, but in select instances with the Shadow has shown that he's invested more in the quest than one would think - though perhaps not for the apparent reasons.
- Has good luck with gambling to match his bad luck with people, and never is wont for money - it tends to find him as easily as he finds it.
- Has an excellent memory for faces as well as for numbers.
- Well groomed, but not as flamboyant as one might expect - unless it is on purpose as part of a bluff.
The Final Burning Thread will go up ONE WEEK before deadline. The deadline will be April 30th, at 11:59 pm GMT - 5, Eastern Standard Time. I will accept submissions as long as it is April 30th somewhere in the world, but after this I will close the thread. I am going to give myself 1-2 days to then sort out the poll and the voting, so please be patient.
1. One team member will be in charge of submitting the final entry. How the entry is presented will be up to you, but keep it consistent and coherent.
2. Remember that you will need to submit wips. If you decide to make a group sketchbook for this activity, a link to that will suffice.
3. Also sumbit a list of Team Activity. I want to see how well you worked as a team - who was in charge of what and what each member did.
4. All other ChoW rules apply. If you are not familiar with the usual chow rules, please read the guidlines thread sticked at the top of the subforum. Including, 3/4ths rule, no paint-overs, etc.
5. Please submit files with this naming convention: TeamChow_TeamName_Image001.jpg
Last edited by tron-one; August 11th, 2009 at 11:29 AM.
Hide this ad by registering as a member
April 9th, 2009 #2
April 10th, 2009 #3
Do you have any references you're using? It'd be great so we can see what you have in mind for her. Then I can decide whether to scrap mine or not.
April 11th, 2009 #4
Ok. If I'm not mistaken, Primordial may have started the tech already. I just remembered that after spending a little under 2 hours working on this. I really need to hear from you guys on which characters you're doing. There needs to be a record of it so this kind of thing can be avoided. Prime, do you want to keep working on the tech or can I run with this idea?
April 11th, 2009 #5
April 12th, 2009 #6
April 12th, 2009 #7
Love this stuff, guys. I've actually just been working on the Protector, not the tech. so if you want to go with the tech, tron, go for it. I'd personally like to take the protector and maybe the Rabble Rouser but I'm happy to pick up any of the others instead so if you had your heart sat on RR, let me know.
[Edit: Joy, I guess you're doing the hero but if you could pick another as soon as possible, that'd be great. It's simply due to the fact that you're not able to get on as much as tron and I so this way you can go full steam ahead on your characters and we'll take up the others.]
If you're in need in reference, I've thrown together some of the images I've collected:
Last edited by Primordial Seven; April 12th, 2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Futher information
April 12th, 2009 #8
Here's my ref sheet. Feel free to copy it. I think I'm leaning toward a tech-heavy/accessory abundant design. I like your sketch joy. Is there anything you'll be adding to it?
April 15th, 2009 #9
Finally got some sketches done for the Protector and the Rabble Rouser. First is a ref sheet I put together the other day. The first collection of drawings was done back before we really sorted out what we were doing so they're in the Hewlett style. The second lot is getting more into designing the characters and there are a few notes I should make:
-The one arm design probably won't be the final and I'll be working on different ideas next.
-The chair was an idea I had for the protector as I'd already removed one of her arms, why not remove the legs? ;] However, I can't quite figure out how this contraption would work and therefore look so there's a strong possibility I'll drop it.
-Three ideas I had for the rabble rouser were sun shade-like goggles, a cane which was also a gun (obviously done in a steampunk fashion) and I thought maybe give him some wings which would collapse up for portability.
April 17th, 2009 #10
Bad news guys ;[
I live in florida. We had a bad thunderstorm Mon and Tues that knocked out the power for our neighborhood. The power company has not told us what date the power will be back on, but they are working on it and we have a number to call.
For some reason my wacom and my mac arn't working together, so at the moment I have no way of getting my drawing online. I am going to draw them on paper, in the hopes that I can scan them and work on them in the next few days.
I am SO sorry about this. Thought I should update you guys as soon as possible. I'll post another update when something happens.
April 19th, 2009 #11
Quick update on the Tech before I finish her up:
Let me know what ya think
April 25th, 2009 #12
Finally got some sort of final thing done. This is one of the rabble rouser images I wanted to get done, I want to also have a drawing of him using his special walking cane/steampunk flavoured bolt-action rifle. Looking at it now I might end up swapping out the head if I can draw something better (The haircut was meant to be punky but ended up dangerously emo).
April 26th, 2009 #13
Good job! The only thing I can think of to fix is his collar. Other than that, it's great. Keep it up!