Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: The Line Goes Ever On...Confessions of a pencil addict

Thanks

The Line Goes Ever On...Confessions of a pencil addict

Hi,
    having just recently begun practicing drawing on a daily basis this sketchbook (selections from my chaotic one at IFX) will hopefully show some kind of progress as days turn to months turn to years...

All constructive criticism is appreciated.

EDIT (Oct-14):
    Been member here for 5+ years now, and a lot has happened with my art and in my life. This SB shows some of my struggle and improvement (my apologies for the missing images in some of the older posts). Thanks to CA and all amazing artists who have pushed, inspired and helped me along the way. The journey goes ever on, so keep telling me where to go next, where to look in order to take another step, to reach another level. I am currently studying traditional drawing and traditional/digital painting. Wish you guys all the best. Peace and Keep Drawing!

More recent artistic expression of mine:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mindbendermind; March 16th, 2015 at 07:16 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Jester and Orc

Quick sketch of the two characters from my latest work for the April IFX challenge "I, for one, welcome our new overlords".

Thanks

Line-contour inking

Added line-contour inking technique (with pen) to one of the 90 sec posemaniacs.com gesture sketches I did today

Thanks

Cropped tree

First tree-sketch of the month. This is just a part of the sketch, I decided to add pen to it and then changed my mind since I discovered it "bled" through the paper too much. Hence the awkward cropping. (No ref.)
    Last edited by Mindbendermind; April 8th, 2009 at 05:33 AM.

Thanks

Lizard

Sketch of some kind of lizard-like creature (no ref.)
    Last edited by Mindbendermind; April 10th, 2009 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks
    This lizard is definitely the strongest piece you've posted so far, although I wanna see more! Let's see your raw, original posemaniacs sketches right after you draw them, try just throwing a bunch of them on a page like this (from Swamp's sketchbook). It won't necessarily be pretty, but it will make you a better artist in the long run.

Also, definitely look up some of the books on this blog. My personal favorites are the Loomis ones, although there's a gold mine of information in all of them.

Good luck and keep it up!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to crashMMVII For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Posemaniacs on-demand

Thanks for your comment, mate - will head over to your sketchbook asap.

Are you really sure you wanna see this? Ok, here you go - some 60sec/pose posemaniacs I did earlier today. First day I change from 90 sec to 60 sec:

Thanks
    Draws tons and tons and tons of those. I spent hours one day just drawing gestures from posemaniacs. Fill your pages up with them and you'll notice improvement.

I know it can be a drag to keep working and you can't notice improvement but trust me, if you go back and look a few months down the road you'll see you actually did improve. I realized, if you want anything worthwhile in life (ex. a career in art), you have to put in the work. Keep drawing and god speed.
    The first step - especially for young people with energy and drive and talent, but not money - the first step to controlling your world is to control your culture. To model and demonstrate the kind of world you demand to live in. To write the books. Make the music. Shoot the films. Paint the art.
    -Chuck Palahniuk

Sketchbook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IMBass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Mindbendermind!

Welcome to our little team And thanks for the comment on my sketchbook!

To be really honest you still have to improve on every aspect of drawing I think. Id say especially focus first on anatomy and your linework.

Dont be afraid to use strong lines, they will only show confidence in your drawing and will make the drawing look more solid.

And Id say try to draw realistic stuff from refs and experiment more concept/fantasy art, but dont draw realistic stuff out of your imagination yet, cause this can make you to learn yourself the wrong way of drawing.

My biggest advice is: just DRAW a lot and quality will come.

Ill be back soon,

Cheers + Good luck

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DeJakhalz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok then, following an advice I'll try changing my pencil for pen for my posemaniacs studies and also turn one of my 60 sec ones into 6 10 sec-ones. (preferably to do this twice a day)

Purpose is of course to gain confidence in my linework, forcing myself to try to get them "right" at first attempt.

First attempt at this ended up in the following hieroglyph's. Good thing is: Things can only get better from here... ;-)

Also post my first real life drawing this month - my hand.

EDIT: Deleted figure drawing due to double posting (sorry!). It can be found in my figure drawing/anatomy thread (see sig)
    Last edited by Mindbendermind; April 10th, 2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Added image

Thanks
    Those latest posemaniacs are looking much better, you can tell that you're getting a little bit more confident with the pen, you still have a long ways to go, though. The magazine reference isn't half bad either; it's good that you can work through your mistakes like the one on her arm. One crit on that one though is that she seems fairly flat, and I think that in order to grasp the true nature of the figure when in positions like that, you have to take the 3D form of the body into account. Through in some shadows, etc (although it's tricky when using a Sharpie like that).

And regarding the hand, I think you got your proportions messed up, and that throws the whole work off. For example, your pinky and ring finger are thicker than your middle and index fingers.

And about your question about anatomy, I guess the trick to progressing is being able to be both consistent and fresh in your studies. Never, under any circumstances, neglect to use your imagination. Also, I think that in order to get the most out of these posemaniacs, you should really dig in to the proportions of the human body and how it is put together. That way, you'll have a better idea just what you're replicating from that website.

There's not really a single "magic" exercise that I think can make you better at drawing, but Jakhalz put it quite well: just draw. Keep it fresh so that you get bored (as in, studying only Vilppu for three weeks straight would get boring!). Keep your mind engaged by doing some stuff from imagination, but keep referencing those anatomy books to grasp a better idea of what you're drawing.

Hope that helps, keep it up!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to crashMMVII For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks mate, that's really valuable advice. Actually have decided to focus more on Figure drawing/Anatomy than I've had.

About adding shading I must ask though: Shouldn't I skip that atm considering the level I'm at (focusing on gesture, contour and line work instead)? IF I'm to add it - do you mean like comic-style line-contour inking technique (the only ink technique I've tried so far)?

Looking forward to your next sketch, really happy about our SSG :-)

Thanks
    Honestly, I think just draw what you see, shading is no exception. Replicate what you SEE (not what you think you know about what you're seeing) to the best of your ability.
    Last edited by crashMMVII; April 10th, 2009 at 02:13 AM.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast