Sketchbook: Concepts and sketches

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Concepts and sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Concepts and sketches

Hi,
    having just recently begun practicing drawing on a daily basis this sketchbook (selections from my chaotic one at IFX) will hopefully show some kind of progress as days turn to months turn to years...

All constructive criticism is appreciated.

EDIT: More recent study
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  538.3 KB

Last edited by Mindbendermind; 1 Week Ago at 10:59 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Jester and Orc

Quick sketch of the two characters from my latest work for the April IFX challenge "I, for one, welcome our new overlords".

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Line-contour inking

Added line-contour inking technique (with pen) to one of the 90 sec posemaniacs.com gesture sketches I did today

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cropped tree

First tree-sketch of the month. This is just a part of the sketch, I decided to add pen to it and then changed my mind since I discovered it "bled" through the paper too much. Hence the awkward cropping. (No ref.)

Last edited by Mindbendermind; April 8th, 2009 at 05:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lizard

Sketch of some kind of lizard-like creature (no ref.)

Last edited by Mindbendermind; April 10th, 2009 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This lizard is definitely the strongest piece you've posted so far, although I wanna see more! Let's see your raw, original posemaniacs sketches right after you draw them, try just throwing a bunch of them on a page like this (from Swamp's sketchbook). It won't necessarily be pretty, but it will make you a better artist in the long run.

Also, definitely look up some of the books on this blog. My personal favorites are the Loomis ones, although there's a gold mine of information in all of them.

Good luck and keep it up!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to crashMMVII For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Posemaniacs on-demand

Thanks for your comment, mate - will head over to your sketchbook asap.

Are you really sure you wanna see this? Ok, here you go - some 60sec/pose posemaniacs I did earlier today. First day I change from 90 sec to 60 sec:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Draws tons and tons and tons of those. I spent hours one day just drawing gestures from posemaniacs. Fill your pages up with them and you'll notice improvement.

I know it can be a drag to keep working and you can't notice improvement but trust me, if you go back and look a few months down the road you'll see you actually did improve. I realized, if you want anything worthwhile in life (ex. a career in art), you have to put in the work. Keep drawing and god speed.

The first step - especially for young people with energy and drive and talent, but not money - the first step to controlling your world is to control your culture. To model and demonstrate the kind of world you demand to live in. To write the books. Make the music. Shoot the films. Paint the art.
    -Chuck Palahniuk

Sketchbook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IMBass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Mindbendermind!

Welcome to our little team And thanks for the comment on my sketchbook!

To be really honest you still have to improve on every aspect of drawing I think. Id say especially focus first on anatomy and your linework.

Dont be afraid to use strong lines, they will only show confidence in your drawing and will make the drawing look more solid.

And Id say try to draw realistic stuff from refs and experiment more concept/fantasy art, but dont draw realistic stuff out of your imagination yet, cause this can make you to learn yourself the wrong way of drawing.

My biggest advice is: just DRAW a lot and quality will come.

Ill be back soon,

Cheers + Good luck

Thanks for dropping by!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DeJakhalz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok then, following an advice I'll try changing my pencil for pen for my posemaniacs studies and also turn one of my 60 sec ones into 6 10 sec-ones. (preferably to do this twice a day)

Purpose is of course to gain confidence in my linework, forcing myself to try to get them "right" at first attempt.

First attempt at this ended up in the following hieroglyph's. Good thing is: Things can only get better from here... ;-)

Also post my first real life drawing this month - my hand.

EDIT: Deleted figure drawing due to double posting (sorry!). It can be found in my figure drawing/anatomy thread (see sig)

Last edited by Mindbendermind; April 10th, 2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Added image

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those latest posemaniacs are looking much better, you can tell that you're getting a little bit more confident with the pen, you still have a long ways to go, though. The magazine reference isn't half bad either; it's good that you can work through your mistakes like the one on her arm. One crit on that one though is that she seems fairly flat, and I think that in order to grasp the true nature of the figure when in positions like that, you have to take the 3D form of the body into account. Through in some shadows, etc (although it's tricky when using a Sharpie like that).

And regarding the hand, I think you got your proportions messed up, and that throws the whole work off. For example, your pinky and ring finger are thicker than your middle and index fingers.

And about your question about anatomy, I guess the trick to progressing is being able to be both consistent and fresh in your studies. Never, under any circumstances, neglect to use your imagination. Also, I think that in order to get the most out of these posemaniacs, you should really dig in to the proportions of the human body and how it is put together. That way, you'll have a better idea just what you're replicating from that website.

There's not really a single "magic" exercise that I think can make you better at drawing, but Jakhalz put it quite well: just draw. Keep it fresh so that you get bored (as in, studying only Vilppu for three weeks straight would get boring!). Keep your mind engaged by doing some stuff from imagination, but keep referencing those anatomy books to grasp a better idea of what you're drawing.

Hope that helps, keep it up!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to crashMMVII For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks mate, that's really valuable advice. Actually have decided to focus more on Figure drawing/Anatomy than I've had.

About adding shading I must ask though: Shouldn't I skip that atm considering the level I'm at (focusing on gesture, contour and line work instead)? IF I'm to add it - do you mean like comic-style line-contour inking technique (the only ink technique I've tried so far)?

Looking forward to your next sketch, really happy about our SSG :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly, I think just draw what you see, shading is no exception. Replicate what you SEE (not what you think you know about what you're seeing) to the best of your ability.

Last edited by crashMMVII; April 10th, 2009 at 02:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I guess part of the problem is that I used a "polished" fashion image (probably edited after the picture was taken) that didn't show that many shadows. Will try to use better reference next time. Found some good nude models at fineart.sk. :-)

---

Have decided to change my "posemaniacs procedure" slightly. Since I'm down to drawing 10 sec - poses I might as well do the standard 30 sec ones instead of 60 sec. Also will do one negative drawing. This means the exercise will be done like this (preferably twice a day, one in the morning, one in the evening):
    - 6 x 10 sec poses
    - 6 x 30 sec poses
    - One "negative space" drawing

Last night before going to sleep I decided to do some quick "Vilppu-gestures" without ref. Those evolved into line practice and tree-like structures. I have always found it easy to draw relaxed flowing lines when drawing trees. What I realized yesterday is that I actually hold the pen in a different manner drawing branches compared to my hard, actually rather cramped grip when drawing humans. Replacing the grip and striving to get the same "flowing" feeling as when drawing trees my sketchbook ended up looking in a quite unexpected way.

Here are the two last pages in my RL sketchbook as well as some of my posemaniacs today (trying to keep that "loose" feeling): 10s, 30s and "negative space" poses. I experienced quite a difference drawing them today compared to yesterday. Also think it's easier the bigger I draw. I'd probably get the best result drawing ONE pose on each A4, but I'm too cheap to waste so much paper. ;-) Usually draw four poses on each A4.

Last edited by Mindbendermind; April 10th, 2009 at 05:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, welcome to the SSG. I guess you get to be the senior member of our little SSG, considering you're probably about twice the age of any of us. heh heh.

My advice to you would be to focus your studying. What I mean by this is that right now you need to improve in everything. I'm the same way, just a little bit farther ahead than you. When you realize that everything you do needs practice it can become overwhelming. So when you approach a drawing, think about what you want to accomplish in it (besides an amazing drawing) Decide in one drawing to focus on practicing you're line work, let values go. Or alternately, decide to work on value and let your line work go. It's simply a matter of breaking your practice into manageable parts and setting realistic goals about them. Doing it that way is a great way to handle your studies.

That being said, it's also a great thing to put it all together and do a finished piece of work, trying to draw it all. It's also great to just draw for the fun of it and not worry about making a great drawing or having super defined goals. Like Crash said, mix it up.

Another thing to do in general, is to work from large to small. "Block in" your drawing at the beginning by using straight lines to establish the entire form. Then work into that adding the next biggest things then the next and refining your drawing. Better than me trying to explain it, look at this guys sketchbook. Notice the different steps he did on the bird painting. notice how he starts by blocking in, then slowly refining his drawing.

One more thing to tack onto this lengthy post. Draw from life. All the time. Photos can be good, but life is better. Draw your kids, draw your wife, draw your desk, draw your yard, draw you house, draw everything. And do it a lot. It'll help. Keep it up.

My Sketchbook

Mark 12:28-31

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Swampdigger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for comment, advice and that inspiring link. Had begun writing a thorugh reply, but seem to have hit some key and away it went... (can I blame it on my age? ;-))

This shorty will have to do for now - looking forward to your next sketch. :-)

EDIT: Just checked with my wife, she has no problem with me drawing her anytime (with clothes on). I'll use her as my life drawing model no 1 from now on (my children are to...mobile ;-)) I will start drawing more from life...

---
    Here are todays posemaniacs, drawn with a fine point pen (thanks for recommendation, crash). 10 and 30 sec poses. Don't worry, I won't keep uploading posemaniacs every day - only when some sort of significant change in the way I draw them (like switching from thick to fine pen ;-)) can be seen.

Last edited by Mindbendermind; April 13th, 2009 at 02:11 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last night I drew my wife (though I promise you that she's actually much prettier than what my drawing shows...)

Last edited by Mindbendermind; April 13th, 2009 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice improvement over the magazine ref you posted earlier, fairly good sense of form around her shoulders and arms.

The first thing that stuck out to me, though, was her neck. Either her head is too small, or the neck is too long and thick, but something isn't right. Keep it up though, drawing from life like this is the best way to improve!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your comment. I agree with you, and she became rather "compressed" as well - ended up shorter and thicker than what she is. The result: I'm not allowed to draw her anymore! :-D. Maybe I can catch the kids when they're watching TV or something, otherwise I always have my own hands, legs and a mirror nearby...

Have also been doing some "master studies" from Vilppu's drawings after this one (in the HB thread) and I think I'm really learning about form and shading from these.

Here's a quick sketch of some kind of creature that I did this morning (no ref.):

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanks for the comment in my SB. Its really good that you are doing studies, thats the most important thing one can do to become better at art. I really think you really should try really looking at something before you draw it, draw what you see not what you think you see. Just let your eyes relax on whatever/whom ever you are drawing and really study the subject.

Also it feels like most of your work is rushed and your pencil marks seem stiff and rigid. Again, relax a bit and dont rush everything. I notice that youve done a few gesture drawings which is good, but I would suggest doing some longer poses (30 minutes at least, if not longer).

Keep drawing man! Theres no limit to where you can go. Just remember to keep it fun

*New Sketchbook* Come stop by :3

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

I am currently looking for a mentor to help me improve my sketch book. Either that or lots of crits and suggestions to help me improve my skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not bad on the drawing of your wife, too bad you can't draw her anymore. haha. You can also get some quick practice simply sketching people in public, a lot of people sketch on the bus/train to work if you're in that situation. Remember, even with pens it's not a bad idea to do some really simple blocking in/measuring. Usually, if you keep it light and be smart about it, it won't mess with your finished drawing.

One thing that you could try with your kids is to treat them like the 10 sec posemaniacs. Just really quick sketches to try to capture the movement or pose. Then if they decide to stay in that position you could always carry it further.

Keep it up. It's always nice to see people starting to get serious about art later in life. Most of the time it seems like people think it's something you're born with. And if even if they'd like to draw, decide that they'd never be "good enough".

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some good advice in here. Follow it and you'll be on your way. Loosen up a great bit of advice, thats something I have trouble with sometimes as well.

The first step - especially for young people with energy and drive and talent, but not money - the first step to controlling your world is to control your culture. To model and demonstrate the kind of world you demand to live in. To write the books. Make the music. Shoot the films. Paint the art.
    -Chuck Palahniuk

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by again. Yes, I'm really grateful for all valuabe comments I've received here.

Drew my youngest one watching TV yesterday (probably spent 15 minutes on it, at least no more than 30. Will try to get better at seeing how long time I spend on each of these RL drawing sessions.

Also thought I'd post the most recent WiP-version of the lineart I'm working on for the april challenge at IFX ("I, for one, welcome our new overlords" is the theme). Unfortunately I've drawn this using the touchpad - when I grow up I will get myself a real tablet ;-)

Last edited by Mindbendermind; April 15th, 2009 at 08:29 AM. Reason: added images

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That life drawing is actually really impressive! The features on the face don't look too distorted, and you're getting a nice sense of volume with that blanket.

And you drew the other one with a laptop touchpad? Man, talk about patience lol. Considering that, you've done quite well!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks mate, your positive comment just made my day! :-)

I have reached a roadblock in my "basics" studies though: Perspective. Vilppu underlinesw the importance of mastering this before proceeding - and frankly I don't feel comfortable with it at all atm. Thinking about switching to Loomis "Successful drawing" until I've nailed it. Any other advices on good (preferably free) books on perspective?

If I'll start sounding too philosophical from now on btw, you'll have to blame Speed, his "Practice and science of drawing" arrived with the mailman this morning. Seems to be some really deep - but interesting - stuff in it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good morning.
    Todays still life (20 min) of the wooden mannikin I bought the other day looks like this.

Have been adviced not to use this one as a way to learn how to realistically depict the human body, but I really enjoy drawing it for some reason - guess it's the simplicity that is so appealing. I figure I can always use it for daily still life practice and just to get a sense of the basic structure of the basic shapes (and shading of them) from different angles.

Try to have a really basic approach when it comes to shading atm, using 3 values (black, hatch/crosshatch (depending on texture) and white).

Last edited by Mindbendermind; April 19th, 2009 at 03:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Started on a master study of a painting of Orpheus by Rubens last night. Messed up the nose, but please tell me what you think about it so far anyway :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice works you've been doing here. Your concept for the IFX challenge is pretty comical actually. Using a touchpad though, ouch. That had to take a lot of time.

I like the drawing of your son, improvement is showing. I've got to commend you for using a pen too. I've been sketching with a pen for the last few months, and it's a lot harder then pencil. I think in the long run it'll benefit the most though, so keep at it.

Good idea to keep the values simple, but I might start using five values instead of three. Three strikes me as just a little too simplistic, there's barely anything to decide on. Nonetheless, glad to see the studies.

I like the mastercopy you're doing. It's looking very solid. If you want really particular critiques on angles/proportions/sizes it would be helpful if you posted the original drawing too. Either way, it is looking really nice.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment. Yep - I dream about being able to use a tablet instead of this touchpad :-)

Glad to hear that you see improvement in my drawing. And that you think it's a good idea to practice with pen.

Well, as soon as I get to the part with values (in Speed or any other book) I'll probably switch to pencil for the whole range of value. I believe pen is valuable for inking purposes, practicing line drawing and using limited values. But I think that it's hard to make a pen drawing look "finished" - especially as a beginner. We'll see, for now I stick to pen - even thinking about practicing mass drawing by using just two values when I get to that.

Glad to hear that you like my latest study. Am I allowed to post original artwork here for reference? (wasn't sure, therefore I haven't so far).

Here's the latest IFX-challenge WiP and a little update on the Rubens-study, hope you'll still like it:

Last edited by Mindbendermind; April 21st, 2009 at 05:04 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5