WIP in early stages, anatomy help?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP in early stages, anatomy help?

Okay, so this is my first post and I'm sort of intimidated by all the amazing artists here. Of course, I'm hoping to improve, which is why I'm here in the first place. :D So hopefully I can get some advice on this piece I just started. Obviously I have yet to add details, but when it's finished he's going to be wearing several layers of clothing which is why there's not much detail in the musculature. I know the hands are just awful, awful, and horrible but I can't figure out how to fix them. They're supposed to be relaxed looking but I can't get it to look that way. Also, I wasn't able to find a reference picture for this pose so I'm sure the anatomy is pretty off in more than a few places.

So if anyone could help me out it would be the absolute bee's knees.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, this is looking good so far!

Since you say you are going to dress this figure in many layers of clothes, adding more accurate anatomy would probably be a waste of time. Proportionally you're looking alright.
    It looks like the distance from the elbow to the wrist on both your arms might be a little short. The left arm has foreshortening as an excuse but the right hand should be almost touching the ground if the figure is kneeling and the arm is straight.

Also, some of the overlaps you have drawn are incorrect for the pose. Particularly at the knees. I did a quick drawing to illustrate what i mean:
    Name:  sentinel.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  110.6 KB

Establishing your ground line might help you place that back leg in perspective better as well.

Hope that helps,Rock on!

Last edited by Mute; April 8th, 2009 at 06:10 PM.
    ...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks much! I took your advice and played around with it a little bit...I made the right arm longer and I think it definitely looks better. I think the left arm crossing over in front of it is what threw me off. I fixed up the overlaps and made the right leg a little smaller as well. Thanks again ^^

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.