I just need critiquing...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I just need critiquing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy I just need critiquing...

i was rejected last night for my work and wanted to know what i should be doing better and whatnot. I am wanting to do concept art, not like the ridiculously refined and detailed stuff, just to get a "concept," and I just wanted to know what i am doing wrong, what am i doing write. click here to see my work.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unfortunately that's what concept art is, it sounds like what you want to do is just sketches, well thats what you do before refining it into a full conceived concept. You will not get work doing what you are doing now in concept art.

You concept drawing needs to convey everything the modeler/designer whoever takes it on will need to push the character/landscape/creature so it's ready for the game/film etc.

Just keep pushing your drawing/painting and you can make it happen but it takes a lot of work to get into concept art, good luck!

Last edited by danlambert; April 5th, 2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Firearms.. This may sound strange but, in this field of concept art or any other field of business there will alway's be people having critique. For that ridiculous detailt part, that is the way to learn stuff. If you do not have the basis to convey youre concept, then people will never understand what you are trying to say.

This said, you MUST work on a basis to draw. Look how other get to their defined idears. If you look right then you will see that they have the tools to bring the concept to life. The tools are things you have drawn before and practised before. Anatomy for the first part. You can hardly draw a brick and call it a house if you have never drawn a house.

In youre work I have noticed a drive to draw. That is what you need. Drive to draw, drive to get better at what you are doing. It is to easy to say, look I canz color thus I am artist. If you really want to draw, learn how to draw. Concept art is an other stage of drawing, a total other field. A reachable field. It only need a bit of practise and a lot of love

<ote to self.... dont drink and rant >

Know the basics, get to know the tools and don't get cocky about yuore work. You need lots of training. Go for it. I applaud everyone who does.

Now for the advice part; Get a PDF copy of andrew lloomis his work, read it, study it, draw from it. If you do.. you will get better. There are lots of artist here who are glad to help, do not be afraid to ask them. They are here to help in their own cute way. draw from yuore surroundings, learn from them. If you are passionate about drawing, you will do this...

Peace and cookies,

Writero

Almost forgot.. Forget Photoshop for a while... no... don't go; I'll use that medium because" , Go draw on paper, scan yuore progress in and make a sketchbook.... It will help... Take crits like a .. man/women and learn from them...

Now I'm really off...

*hic*

Chow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how to say this nicely.. look.. these pictures are at a beginner level and I think you have a lot of study an drawing in front of you before you are able to do concept art.
    Judging by these you still don't have your basics of anatomy, color and light down, additionally it looks like you haven't put a lot of time into them.
    But if you want to learn to get better, this is the right place, open a sketchbook int he sketchbook subforum, show a single picture where you want to work on in the critique centre, talk to people here and try to improve yourself.

I just took a break to post this.
    But sometimes I also draw stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I looked.

There are a couple of entry level character portraits - perhaps you need to look into what a concept artist does, as well as working on your drawing skills.

It's also about designing full characters, costumes, environments, objects, etc. I see zero design there at all. Even an unpaid job is going to want to see your imagination.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.