Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Team Chow: Insomniacs Sketchbook

Thanks

Team Chow: Insomniacs Sketchbook

This is a Sketchbook for the members of the Insomniacs team for the Team Chow to organize and share wips in.

The Team:

Kleewyk: Our evil laugh
    Bone_fish: The one who just joined
    Keng: The one who wrote this.

To summarize our planning so far:

I'll be taking charge of the Sage and the Technician. (WOOT! I get the smart people!), Kleewyk will be taking our Heroin and the Rabble Rouser, and Bone_Fish has the Shadow and the Protector.

I've been looking around and for a short bit I was worried that my idea for the sage would be out of the appropriate era but upon further research (google actually offered me very little info on this) the Victorian era is roughly the time period that the situation of my Sage might occur. (or at least close enough) Woot! So he'll be about 12-14 years old and served in the British Navy as an officer for a while. I might ditch the officer part but he's been to school and that's all that matters.

I've also been looking around at Russian art seeing as how that's where the majority of our characters are from. I think I'm getting too into the research of this XD. It's hard to find what common folk fashion might have looked like. I was hoping to find a few inspirations for the style of art but I may have to look in the school library (HOLY GA-JEEBERS! RESEARCH OFF THE INTERNET!) for some books that might be able to give me more of the type of art I'm looking for and a broader sampling. From my brief search there isn't much online. I'm probably just not using the right keywords.

Also, to build on my reputation of over-thinking things, I have come to the conclusion that anything in Russia that's steam powered will have to be kept hot at all times during the winter because otherwise the water would freeze. On that note it's likely that the steam coming out will crystallize and cause buildups of ice. The technician sure is going to have a lot on her hands. No wonder they decided to bring her along!

Oh, I should probably mention for those of you who might be reading this and getting a little lost that we've chosen Russian Steam Punk in Winter as our theme for the challenge.

Just one more week (and a bit) of school left thank goodness. This thread might be a little slow until it's over. Go go animation students!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    here's some ideas for the hero and rabble rouser. i was thinking that perhaps it would be a good idea to have some kind of unifying element between all the characters.

added some costume designs inspired/referenced from russian clothing...
    Last edited by KleeWyck; April 9th, 2009 at 02:10 AM.

Thanks
    I found a good information source for what woman wore in Russia. It's very informative. Lurkers, you should check this out too!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_did_w...ring_the_1800s

This next one has tons of good links. Kudos to Kleewyck for finding this rescource:

http://www.filmcostume.com/Links%20World.htm

Late 1800's Russian artist group called the Wanderers. Not all of their art is based in the time period but they do have a few good paintings that look like they may be from the time, and have some good clothing depictions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHQUi-VwhhY
    Last edited by Keng; April 9th, 2009 at 03:04 PM.

Thanks
    update on the rabblerouser's design. will put in more steampunk elements... maybe.

Thanks
    here's the lineart of the hero. will be painting this digitally some time next week.
    anyways i was wondering if there are any design issues or whatnot that are problematic.

her weapon is a is a magnetically powered propulsion/projectile blade that functions by using a very strong magnet within the handle. this magnet is a special type of magnet that only affects certain kinds of rare metals hence the blade will not be deflected or attracted by normal metals such as magnetized armor and machinery.

her armor uses vials of chemicals which once they are in contact, they create an exothermic reaction within the armor (boots/gloves) in order to heat these limbs from the cold temperatures/weather patterns of northern russia. these chemicals are kept heated using steam power. it is customary (and rather important if you wish to survive) to carry multiple vials of these liquids as refills.

her clothes are made of heavy materials (ox hide or something) which act as insulation for the body. the fur-lining stops the wind from entering her garments as well as keeping the heat produced by the body inside. the traditional steampunk goggles work to keep the harsh winds and snow out of her eyes.

the character herself (has no name yet, let's just say she has forgotten her name along with her past) but her long red braids are proof of her noble heritage. although her memories are flawed and forgotten, once in a while they will return, driving her insane. In this state, she goes berserk and attacks/kills friends or foes... cliche i know.

Thanks
    And I finally get around to posting what I've done so far. Yay for being forced to take a day off because the school is closed!

A few preliminary sketches for the sage and the tech with many side notes. Still gotta get in there with some more steam punk and review our Russian references now that I have a moment of time to do so.

Thanks
    nice stuff! Keep it up, you guys seem really productive!

KleeWyck: Your character's feet seem to be a bit too small, just a nudge bigger would be nice.

Thanks
    thanks lazarogamio! i knew something was off about the feet but couldn't quite pinpoint it.

here's some colour flats for the character and a very basic sketchy bg so i can start with the shadows/highlights on the hero.

Thanks
    here's progress for the hero... now i need to go study for my exam.

not sure what to do about the corset. it bothers me. maybe taking a day off (studying for my exam) might make the problem more obvious.

Thanks
    Wooo! Go go cultural theory! Time to put our well developed BSing skills to use!

Also... (yes, I'm only seeing this now, don't kill me!) The weight seems kinda off on her. If she's standing on a hill I can see that stance maybe working (kinda snowboarder-ish) but otherwise it looks like she's sitting on an imaginary chair. Maybe her body needs to be moved forward a little, as in, like titled forward. Otherwise it's coming along great.

Thanks
    I should probably post something to prove that I do exist and I am working. Anyways, I have a bit of a mental block right now when it comes to drawing, etc... so I haven't completed as much as I wish I had by this point.

Shadow:
    So for this character I have based him on the Cossack people from Southern Russia. He is an ex-militant, around 29-ish, and may have met the Hero while protecting her family or attacking where she used to live (I can't make my mind up on that detail). He fell for the Hero the moment he saw her, and a relationship between the two did develop, but since her memory loss he is unsure of whether or not to bring it up. And I also think he doesn't want to bring it up because it might remind her of why she lost her memory....obviously it has something to do with the Shadow and it wasn't anything good.

I've basically settled on his design but it needs more steam punk....and it needs to be fixed in several places still. He doesn't have a name.

Protector:

Well I wasn't at all sure what to do with him. I want him to be like a father figure to the Hero.....his design actually reminds me of my dad now that I think about it. He is in late forties, was a farmer and a amateur metalsmith, and he has never been in a fight before but he isn't afraid to get his hands dirty. Found the Hero washed up on the edge of an icey river near his home (hypothermia probably led to her memory loss).

Design is still in progress. His hands will be in these steam powered gloves (just for warmth....might be "handy" weapons too), and his clothing should have a worn/tattered look to them.

How can we be using steam in such cold temperatures? :
    ...And I also found some links that may be relevant to our teams interests: Steam Tracing and some diagrams of steam tracing.

Thanks
    Incase you haven't caught on, I've been having trouble with my boot design. So I found this nifty refrence!

http://www.batashoemuseum.ca/collect...ia/index.shtml

YAY for shoe museums! *goes to look for other clothing museum sites*

edit: interesting video

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1177384//
    Last edited by Keng; April 16th, 2009 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks
    discovered i can't paint bronze among many other things... the more i work on this, the more i feel like its getting worse. need to fix some armor and feet issues.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast