digital paintings: charcoal still life

View testimonialsView Artwork

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hullo everybody! first post here

okay, so I've been trying to do digital painting recently (starting a few weeks ago), here's what i've done so far

digital paintings: charcoal still life whoops, I made her head way too tiny!!
    digital paintings: charcoal still life just a doodle for fun
    digital paintings: charcoal still life did this one today, first still life i've done with digital painting. it's a pool table ball taped to my desk

so far the most frustrating things is making a smooth transition with the values. I just feel like i'm going back and forth between values endlessly, trying to get the right ones, but my strokes just end up making everything really incoherent and messy, and it reads like crap.

I would love to hear your critiques, suggestions, comments, etc! any advice is really appreciated, thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The stuff looks good. (Hey! I know that statue!—http://www.giacomomarchesi.com/Pages/A03.html)

Most of the issues seem to be about your artistic ability to render form, rather than your handling of the stylus or knowledge of Photoshop. If it were me, I'd next do a single still life from life—of something a bit more complex than a cue ball—and spend several hours (4-8) on it. I suspect you'll learn more by depicting forms from life than you will by trying to copy photos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The man and the woman are very nice ... but the painting done from the sculpture seems incomplete. Your edges are too hard and your shading seems too harsh. You have already shown that you have talent from your paintings of the man and woman so I am confident that those same talents can be applied to the sculpture painting as well.

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it only took me about 3 weeks to reply, go me

banana apple still life

didn't really like how it came out, but it gave me some ideas on how to tackle the next one. I'm used to working with the reductive method when it comes to charcoal, but I decided to try it without it this time

also next one i'll be sure to pick something with a better value range than a banana DX

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.