TEAM CHOW - Team DarkYellowGhostRobot = darkly,Sung-jae Kim,Ghostbrush,dwinbotp - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    just wanted to say, dwinbotp, your shadow portrait is my favourite so far.

He looks like an actual character! I think people are missing the point when they draw him as an *actual* shadow thing....

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm...same clothes, changed/rendered face a bit.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shadow wip

Looking for work experience - let me show you what I can do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    meh meh meh wip wip wip

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,
    sorry guys for not being around. I've had some crazy stuff come up.

Sung, I like 3, 4 and 6, but definitely leaning towards 4 for my personal favorite. Liking the rabble rouser. Great colour!

Ghostbrush, looking good! A couple crits would be that the gun on the back looks a bit off balance. It looks like its just hanging from its barrel. And although they look pretty good the hands appear odd to me like he's cringing. Maybe he could be holding a knife, or something. I like the face/mask!

So after a few different takes this is the basic, and I stress basic, concept for The protector. I WILL have some garb on him tomorrow night so we can pick from the best concept before fleshing him out.

TEAM CHOW - Team DarkYellowGhostRobot = darkly,Sung-jae Kim,Ghostbrush,dwinbotp

Some see the glass half full. Others see it half empty. I just try to see the glass!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff guys, keep em' coming! Got some time to fiddle with the heroine, one more week left, who knew so much stuff can happen in a month eh?
    BTW, Thanks for the sweet drop by Ciaee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay so here's what I got so far.

Some see the glass half full. Others see it half empty. I just try to see the glass!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey, wow heroine looks great so far Dwinbotp, looking forward to seeing more

Darkly also looking great dude, I prefer 2 and 3 the most, But I think 2 is my favourite, I like the schmag scarf, its seems to be something that all the chracaters seem to have in one form or another, good for the "group" establishment, also handy for sand storms

Sung: hows it going dude? hope all is well, I am liking the colouring so far on the WIP above, wanna see moreeeee!

Guys so far all this stuff is looking really good, and I would say it all looks rather coherent in terms of them being a group, Think they will all look great in a final illustration together!

Ok small update here, just shifted the colors from warm to cool, while i really like the cooler light source, I understand that it is in a desert type scenario so the warmer light source is better and necessary.

Need to work some more on the daggers, they look shite atm.

Left his hands resting in his gun strap and on his ammo pouch, thought it suggested a calm but calculated man, ready to go any second but not really frightened or nervous about it, tell me what you think.

Also, this is bugging the hell out of me, is there a way of me changing the gun perspective without a full re paint?

All the best

Alex

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Ghost! Your character's looking even better, especially those knives (really I mean it) ! Here's what I do when I have to deal with things such as the gun:

1: Use the lasso tool and select the gun. You do this by selecting your lasso tool from your tool menu/bar. Then as if you were painting use it to encompass one part of the gun. There now part of the gun is selected. Then hold down the shift key and encircle the other part of the gun. Now both parts of the gun should be selected without any of the character being selected.

2: Now that the gun is selected copy and paste it to a new layer. This layer should now just be the two parts of the gun.

3: What I would do then is turn off/hide the "gun layer" and go to my main layer/Character layer and erase the gun altogether. (you can also just use the lasso tool again to select the gun then go to the edit menu and select clear). Either way the point is to get rid of the gun on this layer.

4: Now you can show the "gun layer" again and be free to manipulate it how you wish. For example move it erase parts of it add to it etc, all without effecting the main layer.

These are Photoshop techniques so if you're using something else ie Painter I'm not sure how you would go about doing this, but my assumption is that it could be done somewhat similarly.

Hope that helps. Also I think if you were to rotate your character slightly to the right (clockwise) he would look more balanced. Again those knives are looking badass!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to darkly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ghost,
    I did this mostly on a fun impulse, but I played around with your character a bit (although I probably should be doing more to mine) . Check it...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to darkly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Only about an hr til Thursday's over! :|
    I'll post the rabble rouser after I worked it out some more (hopefully before thursdays over), give me some feedbacks about this one before I start to render

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    darkly - Ah, cool revisions on Shadow's gesture
    this isn't really a critique or anything, but just so you know your character is about 7.5 heads tall since heel is where it ends. (I think you might have been going for 8 heads?) If you do decide to go for 8 heads, make the pelvis area taller, since it's a little small right now.

Looking good so far guys, and it seems that my designs feel quite out of place and I'm not sure how to approach it, so any suggestions would be appreciated :|

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sung: Thanks for the advice! Any particular one that you like, cause I'm kind of in the same boat as far as receiving feedback prior to finishing. I think your Sage character fits just fine and I think your chosen one is going to look great. Maybe you'll want to give her a bit more desert, "unkempt" look.? As far as your Rabble Rouser, I think he's to skinny. Not so much in stature, but compositionaly, if that makes any sense.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's this just to get an idea of where we're at so far...

looks like mine's the shittiest. I'd better fix that...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! cheers for the re work darkly, the gun especially looks better in the new position, not sure about the arm movement though, But its cool anyway

As far as crits go for rendering, well I guess keep going and block out all the values, then just go crazy on the texturing to give that weathered look, I used a lot of spatter brushes and photo textures of concrete etc to give that desert/worn/tired/distressed looked to the clothing, I add them using overlay and soft light layer modes in pshop.

I was given this piece of advice not so long ago, but, I have been tryng to work on it and it so far has worked great for me, edge control, i will post the link below, but basically using the techniques and rules outlined, really does give characters and materials a really realistic look and depth, check out the link anyway, I found it more than useful

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51913

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh BTW, these characters are looking sweet! I like the initial line up u did darkly, they look great together, cant wait to see it all done!

What are everyones thoughts, wish to stay together and participate in next months as well?

Personally i would love too, I have learnt a lot this month and wish to continue that, plus its nice to get to know some people on here a little better ya know.

Anyway all the best Team!

Alex

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff guys! a lot of stuff happening for a few of us during the past few weeks left us all groping at finding the right look, the right etc etc. but i must say that this has been a really worthwhile endeavour We still have a few more days till we put them all in a more polished lineup, so let's just make the most out of it and render away, here's a few more comments on the current stuff.

Ghostbrush: add some more color in there man, looking great so far, and yes, if there's a round 2, why not take another stab at this, this is the best piece i've seen from you so far! good job!

darkly: Thanks for lining them up, looks great don't you think? style wise, there will always be something different on each of our take on the brief but this is what we're here for, to better learn each one's work processes and i'm liking the stuff we have so far so go, go go man, can't wait for the final Protector piece

Sung-jae Kim: Love the rendering you have so far man, I would love to see how you take the RR's costume and getup to the next level, also try to incorporate more "mam" into him, right now, he seems very pretty in my eyes I'll post more of the heroine and the techie later.

I actually never thought we'd make it this far since we all have our sudden schedules rearranged somewhat along the way, leaving little room for direct chats and such, but due to a similar direction we had from the start made things cohesive for us to work as a team, whether or not it's perfect or not, I feel good about the team chow, a big thanks to Daestwen and Poshspice for being this creative and generous

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the input guys,
    darkly - can you elaborate on the rr being too skinny? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that.
    Dwin - I'm thinking of incorporating some metal plates on the rr right now, I'll let you know how it works out. What I'm having real troubles w/ is probably trying to get him to look more manly, I think I'm a little stuck on the idea that he's more of a char w/ a hidden agenda or something and not sure if a more manly face would support that. (I'm probably just being stubborn though, so feel free to do a paint over or something)

little update on RR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sung: I'm not sure quite how to explain it. He just seems vertically stretched out at least in the torso/hip area. Idk. The paintings coming along nicely though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well here's pretty much my protector final. thought about adding some background, but wasn't sure if we wanted to do a line up with all the characters and a unified bg.?

Name:  The-Protector.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  124.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...or the black Brotha.

Name:  The-Protector-Brotha.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  120.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a new line up...

and a smaller one to get a better idea of scale...

Mischeviouslittleelf is offline Promoted himself from Auxillery Pencil Infaantrist to Tablet Gunner
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 716 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, those later sketches are looking quite mighty fine to me. Only problem is that some of them are kinda hard to guess, role wise. Like the dude with the white outlines, I would have picked him for the sage, but what is that crazy lady far right, in that case Still, good work here

-E

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Mischeviouslittleelf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just dropping by to let you know my vote was on you guys.
    Seems like the polls are leaning a different way at this second but, I really enjoy what you did with each character. Great great work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.