Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The Bakery (CCThrom, Blackcherry, Arttorney)

Thanks

The Bakery (CCThrom, Blackcherry, Arttorney)

This is the WIP and development thread for the CHOW joint project of CCThrom, Blackcherry, and Arttorney which we like to call "Crumpets and PAIN."

We just started but some thumbnails should show up in here within a few days at the most. Thanks for checking in.

Here's a gratuitous image that I happened to have handy:
    Attachment 636790
    Last edited by arttorney; April 3rd, 2009 at 03:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    "Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Inspiration- a little something old school out of 20,000 Leagues under the Sea
    Attachment 636960
    References of steampunkish daily implements and gadgets: http://www.lehmans.com/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hansom_cab
    http://www.steamlocomotive.info/ http://www.eraoftheclipperships.com/ http://www.costumes.org/history/100pages/victlinks.htm
    Wikipedia steampunk entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk
    The Sage:
    Attachment 637024
    The Protector
    Attachment 637083
    Last edited by arttorney; April 4th, 2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: I've added thumbnails & references

Thanks
    Ok guys I've been doing some brainstorming on the characters and I made a start on some designs for 'The Sage'.

The idea I had from the description given was of a very old (wise) man, who due to his age is now confined to a chair due to the fact he can no longer walk. Therefore he now travels round in a mechanical chair which does his walking for him. I thought seen as we were going for a 'Steampunk' theme it could be quite cool. The chair can also fly and the legs fold up when this happens. It's controlled by two levers on his arm-rests and also has a protective cover to shield him when needed.

As for the guy himself, I'm thinking old and somewhat eccentric looking; long beard, wispy hair, likely white with his age. He has a frail bony frame as he barely eats. I've got him with goggles on, and one of the eyes is like enhanced, it can zoom in and out and always moves around scanning stuff so doesn't focus on anything for long. The other eye is covered by a dark lens so no one ever knows where he's looking yet he seems to see everything.

Not quite sure how to work in the non-sleeping thing... maybe it's something to do with his eyes or maybe he's part machine? or what he's searching for, maybe some kind of artifact?

Let me know what you think; Good, bad? Criticisms? Improvements?

Oh I found some good links for steampunk things too:

http://www.steampunk.republika.pl/arch/opedia.html
    http://www.steampunklab.com/
    http://mydisguises.com/2008/05/19/de...r-own-costume/

Also any ideas on what sort of style we're going for in the artwork?

Think I'm going to have a go at the technician next.
    Last edited by blackcherry; April 6th, 2009 at 11:36 AM.

Thanks
    Hey Blackcherry, I can't see the images you post, so I'm guessing that you're not using the attachment manager? If not, can you please do so?

A couple more odd links...
    http://www.scifimoviepage.com/art_steamboy.html
    http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEU.../motorwhl5.htm

A terrific source of recent historical reference... Check out the reprints of "Manufacturer and Builder" starting about halfway through the results pages.
    US Library of Congress online... search "steam"

I'm starting with the Hero... since everything else relates back to her. Naturally still just trying out a bunch of looks.

Attachment 639165
    Attachment 639166
    "Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    I changed my last post and attached the image so you should be able to see my design idea now.

I like your starting sketches for the hero. Looking good! I really like the top right head sketch and I also like her hair in the profile head sketch. The full bodies clothing sketch is nice too, though I imagine her more in a skirt.

I was thinking due to her having another 'dark side/alter ego' are we going to do two versions of her or? Have you ever seen Heroes the TV show? because her condition sort of reminds me of Nikki. If you haven't seen the show then don't worry.

Also any thoughts on how we're going to tackle this overall?

Thanks
    Thanks!

I'm not sure how we're going to divide up the tasks... I think for now let's get some more ideas on the table before we get to the nuts and bolts of "how".

I'm looking through some of the other sketchbooks, and of course there are a lot of different approaches. One thing they all seem to be doing is setting up a "mood board". So I'm taking a stab at that... as a place to start. Steampunkwise I prefer a less over-the-top approach... something similar-ish to the world as we know it. And I don't think we need to tighten up the whole idea first... I think the concept and backstory can grow out of these initial messing around sketches.

Blackcherry, I like how you've been doing a lot of thinking about the words of the brief... for this week, I'd say keep with more of the same.

Give me some feedback on the mood board... and feel free to make additions or disagree with the direction completely... it's just a starting point.
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Wow! You two have been busy. I'm back to California now and have another 4 drawings I did in pencil yesterday. I'll present them later this evening after I get them scanned, etc. I didn't have time to go photograph some of the Victorian houses in Prescott while I was there so I'm glad CC has tossed one of those into his mood board.

I'm still not sure whether I am favoring the western flavor of steampunk or the foggy London town version. That current little thumb of the Protector lugging around a couple of guns certainly wouldn't do in a Victorian drawing room mystery.

More mood setting:
    Attachment 639712
    Last edited by arttorney; April 6th, 2009 at 08:38 PM.

Thanks
    I tend to agree that we can spend a week or so throwing out our ideas. It's very easy to blow it by getting locked into specific ideas too soon. Let's see where our mind takes us. I think the area where we can get the most wacky or over the top is the Sage character, because the brief specifically calls for the sage to be an outsider. This one I thumbnailed was supposed to be a bit of a Native American influence since I kind of gave her a Navajo looking dress but left off the squash blossom necklace and topped her off with a kind of Mexican or Guatemalan looking hat. I suppose somebody could get a lot more "outsider" than that. The Technician has some potential to be carrying some unusual gadgets but is otherwise probably kind of normal (or she wouldn't have gotten hired in the first place).

I went for a circa 1850s U.S. look on these below thumbs. The Rabble Rouser is dressed in a manner I saw on a portrait of Cornelius Vanderbilt. The Technician is dressed in a costume modeled after an outfit for a female tween out of 1840s France (on the theory that holding on to youthful patterns of dress might be one way a tom boy of that time might have defied dress conventions). The Shadow is dressed after the manner of Stephen Douglas in a portrait I found of him and the Hero is dressed in a dress an adult female might have worn in 1840s France.

I am not against putting the Hero in a less girly outfit. Laura Bullion, then girlfriend of Ben Kilpatrick (The Tall Texan), probably participated in the Great Northern Train Robbery dressed as a man. Not everybody back then dressed or lived in a sterotypical goody two shoes manner.
    Attachment 639727Attachment 639728
    Attachment 639730Attachment 639734
    I'll probably try another round of the six in a more Spanish American War/Edwardian vein this week.
    Last edited by arttorney; April 6th, 2009 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Arttorney, yeah right now I've got at least 3 directions going here... as you said there's the foggy London-town, the American old west, and a less well defined military/industrial Steamboy/Castle in the Air thing.

But for now, I'm all for just throwing everything against the wall...
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    The Industrial/air/steamboy/military form is something I was thinking about exploring in my Edwardian round of characters. I had already thought about putting the Shadow in a confederate uniform but I went another way.

Blackcherry's sage is totally in that neighborhood, though I agree that the chair flying by steam powered helicopter blade is quite a stretch. I think it is totally plausible that he has a balloon thing that he can deploy with a button and then an air screw propels him around in different directions. Their understanding of balloons was pretty advanced by that period. The same furnace that makes the steam could make the hot air for the balloon.

Airships are pretty cool, and would give us a chance to bust out some goggles, chronometers, and compasses.

Thanks
    Thanks for the mood board CC that was useful. I love Howl's Moving Castle and I favour the more crazy gadgets in the images. I'm personally leaning towards the more Industrial/air/steamboyfor the designs, I think that might be an interesting way to go with it and should allow us to be a bit more original and eccentric.

Arttourney, I think you're right about the Sage and Technician being the ones with the most wacky designs, maybe that's why I've gone for them first, lol. Though my Sage idea probably does need toning down a bit. I like the idea of the maybe him being able to launch his chair with some form of balloon. I think the chair itself could do with some refining too but its just an initial design.

I like your costume designs so far. I've been looking at some 'steampunk' style costumes that people have made and theres some really interesting ones, so I think we should use reference but maybe develop them too for some originality. Also if we do go the whole industrial/steamboy direction then being able to add some gadgets would be cool.

Anyways, here's some sketches I've done for the technician. Not as crazy as my sage. I've got her at around 19, tom boyish, very intelligent, maybe a bit geeky, boyish figure. I've styled her clothing to be more boyish, and i've gone easy on the gadgets, though I have added a magnifying lens eye piece for when she works

I was thinking though, due to her love for methods of transport and machinery that maybe she would have developed some make shift wings? If we do go down the whole industrial avenue, i think that might work well.

Thanks
    Cool. Just to mix things up a bit, I've decided to crank out a series of rough thumbs of Boxer Rebellion types. Here is The Protector as a practitioner of Thirteen Tai Chi Sword and an attempt at the hero.
    Attachment 640317Attachment 640488
    Technician with a wagon wheel and a sage chopping
    Attachment 640334Attachment 640541
    Shadow, in a semi official looking costume and a rabble rouser playing a bit of dominos
    Attachment 640403Attachment 640554
    Last edited by arttorney; April 7th, 2009 at 08:57 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast