Team ChOW - Tinhat Troopers (Sorknes, Matte_Art, realitychek and ~Faust~)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Team ChOW - Tinhat Troopers (Sorknes, Matte_Art, realitychek and ~Faust~)

Name:  TinhatTroopers.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  22.2 KB

Okay, this is the SB thread for the Tinhat Troopers, and we are Sorknes, Matte_Art, reallitychek and ~Faust~

Our theme is cyberpunk, doing the 70's and 80's punk with cybernetics and whatnot.

Moodboard is to come a little later.

For reminders I'm putting the character description here so we don't have to click the main thread in the ChOW forum all the time:

* Can be changed according to genre. ie, mechanical = magical = steampowered, car = boat = horse, etc.
    ** You may do two version of this, if you wish.

Characters:

The Hero
    - Female, between 20 - 30. Has no memory of anything beyond a year before present.
    - Stubborn to a fault, but unswervingly loyal to those she cares about, convinced that she could lose her memory of them at any time she makes the most of every moment.
    - Has a tendency to say things before she thinks about them.
    - Rumoured to have a second personality that can remember everything from before, a 'dark' side, as it were, with totally different personality traits. **
    - A quick learner, but unlikely to pay attention unless something immediately catches her interest.
    - Searching for her past but ultimately easily caught up in the present and the worries of others, tending to think of other people before herself.
    - Found (to her horror) that she is more than capable of handling herself in a fight, and likely capable of killing.

The Shadow
    - Male, between 20 - 30 (should be around Hero's age).
    - The only person that the hero has any memory of, beyond the last year (though she can only remember his face), and the only person who might know who she is. He pretends he doesn't know, or refuses to say.
    - Seemingly self-absorbed but actually self-destructive, has a tendency to take out his insecurities as malicious remarks on other people.
    - Isn't well liked, but doesn't care, or pretends he doesn't.
    - Doesn't seem to have any friends except the hero, who he would do anything for, though of course he would never say that. However, though he seems to actively despise the rest of her friends, he cares for them more than he admits.
    - Whether he is helping the hero find her memory, or actively hindering her, is unclear. She believes he is helping her. He doesn't necessarily believe that it would help her to find it.
    - Often disappears for long periods.

The Protector
    - Male or Female, between 25 - 50, well-built
    - Found the Hero directly after she had lost her memory, and managed to piece her back together.
    - Strong and loyal, but prone to worry. Decided to take hero under wing, and began to notice the very strange energies* and events that surrounded her.
    - Completely distrusts the Shadow and the Sage and believes they are actively working against the Hero's interests, but defer's to the Hero's opinion and trust of them.
    - Strengths lie in activities done with the hands - higher concepts either are not a concern, or are too hard to think about in depth.
    - Honest and blunt, so sometimes seems unkind, but never means it.
    - Sometimes wonders if accidently stepped in way too deep into something never meant to be approached.

The Sage
    - Male or Female, any age
    - Does not come from the same country* as hero. Came from far away to find something, and claims that the hero will lead her to it, though will not say what it is - even whether it is a physical object* or a higher plane*.
    - Often seems to be looking through the person that he/she is speaking to, and just as frequently stares off into space.
    - Seems to disappear whenever trouble starts, but has saved the hero and her companion multiple times to threats that they were completely obvlivious/unaware of.
    - Eats very little and sleeps less, and makes very little noise when he/she walks.

The Technician*
    - Female, 18 - 28
    - Completely in tune with anything mechanical*. Takes things apart / dissects things with disturbing regularity, and while can usually put them back together again sometimes forgets to do so, to the dismay of her friends whose objects* she 'borrows'.
    - Fascinated by all methods of transport*, and has an amazingly large memory for all vehicles* and machines* but not for people or places (they are just not important!)
    - Initially hired for one-off job by the Hero and the Protector, but took an instant liking to them and convinced them of her usefullness.
    - Not very good in rough situations like fights, prefers cold logic of puzzles, as her size tends to work against her. However, pressed into a corner, she can make her technical* knowledge work to her advantage in place of physical prowess.
    - wears her heart on her sleeve and is often very cheerful, but takes some blows very hard (a friend getting hurt, etc). Sometimes flighty.

The Rabble Rouser
    - Male, 20 - 30 (should be around Hero's age)
    - Met Hero + crew rather accidently and they helped out of a bit of trouble (which he had gotten himself into and was almost entirely his fault).
    - Developed instant infatuation with Hero + told her that he would help her find her memory. Infatuation may or may not be sincere. Hero does not return it.
    - Tends to bring trouble with him, or create it when he gets there, as he grates people's nerves.
    - Charming and seemingly hollow, but in select instances with the Shadow has shown that he's invested more in the quest than one would think - though perhaps not for the apparent reasons.
    - Has good luck with gambling to match his bad luck with people, and never is wont for money - it tends to find him as easily as he finds it.
    - Has an excellent memory for faces as well as for numbers.
    - Well groomed, but not as flamboyant as one might expect - unless it is on purpose as part of a bluff.

To kick things off, I've been doing some thumbs today to get into it all and get the right "feel". When the moodboard gets up we can go a little more detailed.

This is cheating thumbs, I found a photo and outlined the body just to play paperdoll and dress them. I better get cranking at some males now, I guess.

These all ended up somewhat as the Technician:

Name:  TTfemalethumbs001_Sorknes.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  89.4 KB

And here I was just randomly doing stuff with high heels to get ideas for the hero and possibly the sage:

Name:  TTfemalethumbs002_Sorknes.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  94.9 KB

Okay, lets get cranking!

Last edited by Sorknes; April 5th, 2009 at 08:46 PM.
    "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, I'll get the moodboard posted shortly so we can start to get the feeling behind this stuff. I've never done a moodboard, but I understand how it works.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mat Kaminski; April 3rd, 2009 at 01:57 PM.
    My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright guys.... my computer just restarted itself so I lost mood board b, and also the long-winded response I had to get everyone's ideas going... but anyway, I just wanted to give some suggested viewing/listening for everyone to get into the mindset of this project.

Movies:

Repo! A genetic opera
    Blade Runner
    Fifth Element
    The Matrix

Music:

Sneaker Pimps
    Portishead
    Massive Attack
    Fear Factory
    IAMX

Reading:

All Shadowrun sourcebooks and novels
    Neuromancer
    Snow Crash

All of these things are great to get your head into the cyberpunk world.
    I would also suggest getting slightly familiar with cybernetics. Cybereyes, cyberlimbs.

Now, I was wondering if you guys had any inkling to want to take this into other races or creatures to get all of our characters going?

Also, for our color palette, it will be mostly mid-low range of colors. Like dark ranges of each. Perferably blues, greys, blacks, sepia tones.

Bright colors are only used as really good accent pieces (green hair, Neon LEDs running on certain parts for accent)

Just a few of the ideas I had ready...

Let me know if this helps at all.

Also, the art above is not meant to be a basis by any means for any of our pieces, just trying to thrust you guys quickly into the cyberpunk mindset

I'll add movies, reading and music as time progresses, this is just a quick toss up at the moment.

Last edited by Mat Kaminski; April 6th, 2009 at 09:56 AM.
    My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a kind of a bleh drawing day, ideas kinda gets lost when you don't have much time and have to walk back and fro all the time

Hopefully some more or better tomorrow

C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Matt, you gotta give us more direction here! Also, you should at least crit the shit out of everything that comes in here... So what you want is basically fantasy caractersr with a bit of tech thrown on them? Whatever, I'll do everything. Your ref-board is still very vague, btw. But I already told you stuff about it on AIM

Sorkness, your characters clothing looks very much like stuff people carry in gyms, espescially the sport-bras! Be more raunchy with that stuff, lingerie everything into the open! Be more brve with your designs, think techno and elctronic, only grittier. That said, I don't know squat about fashion design hehe, might be good for you to make some clothing-variations and we can decide as a group the ones to pick Right now, none of them strikes me in particular, though. Kudos for picking up the torch and beiginning with those great scetches!

That said, I just managed to make some quick brainfarts:
    Name:  ChowCharThumbs.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  66.7 KB

Damn, I bitch too much, lol! It's all in good inention, guys! Brainstorm away!!!

Last edited by ~Faust~; April 4th, 2009 at 08:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You call that bitching? lol! I have no idea where I am going with this stuff.... Ok, I'll put my raunchy gritty techno hat on.... Hehe.

Here's first batch for today. As said I have noooo idea where I am going... rofl. So I made some faces hopefully getting me on the right track...

C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome start already guys....
    Ok, here's my contribution of the day. Ended up kind of copying your style in the thumbs Faust, hope you don't mind. If I tried doing more of a dress-up thing I got pulled into the details and crap, so kept it simple and loose
    Name:  chowthumbs1.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  149.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have ~Faust~ has a good thing going realitychek

I'm all over the place today, I can't seem to concentrate. I did these now though. I've imagined the sage as an androgynous character, possibly from another world or something. So the first one was just a random male that might work as the rabble rouser, but he came out kind of bleh. The second one I tried for a sage and a somewhat outlandish look. I dunno though.

I'm lost, heh.

Edit: Oh yeah, you guys better decide if we're going real 70's and 80's punk with cybernetics, fantasy with cybernetics, or techno and electronica with cybernetics. You're confusing me. O.o

Last edited by Sorknes; April 5th, 2009 at 05:28 PM.

C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, sorry for the radio silence. Things are starting to pick up here it seems. I have some sketches myself thrown up that I will be posting shortly, just some quick ideas that I had.

I would have to say that Sork, you have a great thing going on a few posts back with the whole facial tattoos, piercings things. Even the hairstyles seem pretty spot on.

I think I might consider making a better mood board now that I've been looking around and kind of gotten a feeling for them.
    I'm sorry if the first one seems a little vague, I've just never made one.

I'd suggest we start to label the ones that we are jumping into when we post them as it might help to get a picture with the piece.

Keep in mind that in the cyberpunk universe everything is neon and grimey. Basically lets start to look at lower class.

A big underlying theme to cyberpunk would be basically the style and flair of the '80s with an underlying grittyness and a tinge of asian theme. Like I said, I'll be going back in and remaking our mood board because to understand cyberpunk, you have to really know it from the beginning.

Sorry if I've been vague. Right after this post begins the scanning of the reference book I have for you guys to start pulling things out of

As far as clothing goes above, it seems pretty close to what you have going on there reality-chek.

And ~Faust~ this is just a start understandably, but you have something good going on there with (C) and (F).

Anyway... Mood board B to come very shortly... + sketches and more ref pictures.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright here's just a couple of doodles...

For the hero, I imagine her being pretty self-sufficient, like a real hardcore punk girl. Lots of personal flair, ripped clothing, the works. I'd suggest to go old-school punk with her, leather coat, boots, ripped denim, etc. A pain in the ass at times as well. Very few modifications and even fewer weapons.

(When I say modifications, I mean cybernetic impants, tattoos, piercings, etc.)

For the sage, I imagine it could be either a man or woman, although I went woman here. A purist to the extreme. They have no desire to want to implant any form of cybernetics into themselves at all. I even imagine this being the magic-user of the group if we ultimately decide to go Magic meets Man and Machine approach, a la Shadowrun?

This is something we will have to decide on fast...

Lastly, I imagine the technician girl being really young, but a super genius. The really quick pose study that I did had her hanging upside down trying to work on something from above.
    I'd assume this would be the most cyber-modd'd of the group myself. Possible visible cyberlimbs, jacks in the skull to connect to the robots she makes, etc.
    She would be very free-spirited as well. But less old-school. She would wear clothing that would go with the basic theme of trying to look more badass than she is, mainly because most of it doesn't fit on her malnourished body.

Just some thoughts guys.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let's have a vote right here and now:

Respond with

(A) 70s/80s punk with cybernetcs
    (B) Magic meets Man and Machine
    (C) Techno and Electronica with Cybernetics

That way we can get a general feel for the pieces before things go a bit out of hand lol

Here's my thoughts

70s/80s punk with cybernetcs:

Very retro clothing and hair with cyberimplants and things.

Magic meets Man and Machine:

Elves, dwarves, humans, orks, trolls, etc with an 80's theme with also a bit of cybernetics and industrialism thrown in there. Think: 80s hair and clothes with the ability to put the opposite races in there.

Techno and Electronica with Cybernetics:

I'd assume this would be very much modern or futuristic with a lot of cybernetics. Underlying clothing/hair styles: Think ravers of today.

Also... all of them have modern weaponry thrown in there. This can include, all forms of guns, knives, swords, polearms, etc.

No ray-guns or really uber sci-fi stuff like that.

My vote is on (B) as I'm a huge fan of the Shadowrun type universe. Just overall have to keep in mind that the 80s were a crazy style time for everyone, everywhere lol.
    Lots of big hair, leather, spikes, jewelry like crazy, insane make-up. Just a few examples of '80s themes.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If someone would like to make us a pic/banner for our team that we could put as the thumbnail for our SB, I'd appreciate it.... Else I'm just gonna make a tincan hat on a smileyface!

C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAR HAR!!!

Whatcha think guys?

I hope I got this right

Sork, girl
    Me, boy
    Faust, boy
    realitychek, girl

Let me know if not cuz I'll have to make us a new banner lol

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small note for the day: I'll try to do a write up of what I envision each character... Yoitisi seems to have this great path going that I might try to emulate but of course with our spin on it.

I want to try and get things rolling better. Instead of critting for right now, I think we should all just try and spew out as much ideas as possible.
    I also need those votes so that I can start getting our official board together.
    Even still I'll try to get some general themes going all around.

Anyway... as always, just rambling lol. I think a bit too much methinks.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's what I got. I'm figuring '80s themes all across the board. This can be amended if the theme changes any, but this is what I'd assume to go with. Everything is dark, so lots of dark colors. Threw in some cybertech on this moodboard + clothing reference, hair style, makeup, accessories, etc.

Also, for some good themes, you can look up shanghai cityscapes at night, the sony center, or bladerunner screenshots. Coporatism has taken over, so if we decide to go with illustrations for the finals, think logos everywhere, neon colors.

I hope this newer image helps to get things going better. Let's start throwing some images up here folks :3

You guys are more than welcome to take it and add onto it as need be. Just make sure you post it back here so we can keep the ball rolling.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mat Kaminski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just peeking in...looking good, you guys! I like where this is heading (to awesomeness, right?). I'll be checking by frequently

I so wish I could've participated, but damn finals won't allow me! So you better produce some sweet art to sooth my pain

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Matte_Art, I can't believe you made me watch a movie with bloody Paris Hilton in it. At least Sarah Brightman and Ogre was in it too.....

That said though...

I like Blade Runner and the Fifth Element more as an inspiration than Repo and the Matrix when it comes to the movies.

I have both Neuromancer and Snow Crash, but the problem with books is that one kind of depict what happens inside your own mind and none think of the worlds in books alike. Not read the Shadowrun ones, but let us stay clear from elves and dwarves, please?

The new moodboard is showing a bit more of what we're looking for I think, I get a better feel from that. Good job. Now you've made two in your life, hehe.

That's all I got to say about direction really? What you guys think? Hopefully I'll get back to drawing soon, things've been a bit hectic here....

C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAHAHAHA I didn't think anyone would watch that period... being a rock opera and all...

That movie is awesome...

ANNNYYYWHOO

Alright, so we're sticking with humans than.
    Like I said, I'll try to get us a write-up later today for the characters... So that way we can start getting direction.

Hope to see more of ~Faust~ and realitychek, but understandbly, things can get hectic.

Going to also start sketching around more. And try and get us a deadline thing going so we can start to get things in place and to hit the proper time.
    Do you guys want to split it up? Or just do the chain thing like we were gonna do?

Here's the temporary deadline as I'd see it.

APRIL: 10th, all brainstorming / roughs / concepting done.
    APRIL: 17th, take said concepts and refine to solid concepts.
    APRIL: 20th, final concepts ready for painting.
    APRIL: 24th, concepts painted.
    APRIL: 25th-30th, polish to finalization. Get them looking solid enough and professional enough.

Of course this is just a tenative schedule at the moment, but we need to start making small schedules to get things underway.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just stopping in real quick here. I was holding off on doing more thumbs just to see where we were going theme-wise, and the second mood board is a big help Matte_Art I'll be working on a lot of sketches tomorrow and I'll post them all tomorrow night.
    I like keeping the chain that we have going, instead of splitting things up- keeps us more on the same page I think.
    Also, liked your write-ups on the sage, tech, and the hero- only one thing on the hero, I know you said fewer modifications, but reading through the official briefs I noticed under the protector, it said the hero had been pieced back together- thought we could maybe take it on a more literal twist, but whichever way you guys want to take it is fine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm I didn't even notice that detail... that could be very interesting. If any of you have read/seen battle angel alita, that might be a VERY interesting way to present the character.

Basically a cyborg that doesn't even know it's a robot. That could even be the hidden power that it was talking about in the brief.... hmm thoughts are flowing! hehe

Briefs incoming...

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would suggest not to put too much weight on our own character descriptions other than the main brief for now since we're supposed to go kind of wile to trigger ideas at this stage, brainstorming and maybe get things we didn't even think about.

I think that what's most important is the visuals the charcter have, and we're managing to show what we need through them, not too many words.

You've done a great job though Matte_Art. But I still plan to go a lil wild with my own interpretations when I work more later tonight. Things calmed down again, so I'll get my butt in gear again.

C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahaha... and here I was going crazy last night writing up a whole backstory

It's silly how fast I was writing last night :3

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is still a very rough idea, but here's my thoughts on the protector:

I imagine him as a homeless hippy-type. Very burly and ragged. Lifestyle very rough so he has a tendancy to reflect on it and loves to share stories of the road. Has a backpack that basically carries everything he has ever owned. And is willing to kill for it if need be.
    Also has a dog that he keeps with him at all times for protection.

Just very quick rough idea, I'll wait on actually producing briefs until we start to see what others come up with

I also drew this in 20mins on my lunch break so it's stiill very rough lol, but it's an idea somewhat :3

I understand the anatomy is completely borked, but I didn't have much time at all and wanted to spew out my design more than anything. Regardless, this is just concept stage. We have many more sketches first methinks

Last edited by Mat Kaminski; April 7th, 2009 at 02:32 PM.
    My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, thumbs for tonight:
    Name:  tinhat troopers.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  202.1 KB
    Was thinking Rabble Rouser for the bottom left guy- suave in a way, tries to be sophisticated, but not quite there, and somewhat exaggerated and insincere in his actions. Then the guy in upper right- The Shadow maybe-thinking a little literally on his "name", with a glitchy coat that kind of makes him invisible?
    Just throwing stuff out there though. Nice start on the Protector Matte_Art- not going to crit you on much cause you already know the anatomy's off and stuff and we're just throwing stuff out right now. Only thing really though is I'm not getting much of a cyberpunk feel out of him- you're definitely getting the hippie biker feeling there, but he needs a different spin on him or something (hope that made sense lol)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, now we take a poll, since this is the path we wanted to take:

Who wants to do lineart?
    Who wants to do paints?

I think we'll all be involved in the final stage of organizing everything to a tangible level.

I vote myself on linearts, since I have no paint skeelz ;p

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's more thumbs for us to deal with...

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been kinda quiet around 'ere

Just wanted to toss up these sketches of some refined ideas of the thumbs I posted.

Technician still has a couple of anatomy issues I need to work out, but the idea is that she's young and all cybered-up with bots to do her dirty work lol.

And then the shadow has a rough past from the bit of storyline that I'm going off of. So I figured parts of him were missing and stuff, so why not cyber legs and things.

And then a bit of a refinement start on the the protector. Didn't get much time to start fleshing this guy out, but I wanted to show his arm.

Tiny bit more cyber punk I suppose.

*On a side note: It's very suprising that I haven't seen any samurai stuff regarding the whole competition. Maybe that might be something we can play on? Bushido meets Cyberpunk theme? Just a thought... don't want to derail anyone's train of thought, so I just use that as an afterthought.*

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, sorry for being absent here. Had to shift priorities a bit, got a feverish baby for a few days, heh. All good now though. So here's some lousy thumbs.

Name:  TTthumbs001a_Sorknes.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  312.5 KB

Name:  TTthumbs002a_Sorknes.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  262.2 KB

When it comes to the inking... er... are we gonna ink? I don't usually work that way, but I guess I could learn, heh. But you inking? Do you have a tablet? Or how are you gonna work that out? Mind, we haven't decied on a single character yet! lol!

I'll try to get some more done now that things really have calmed down, heh.

C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the absense, easter-break Will have some stuff up soon.

About the thumbs, Realitycheck, I really like your thumbs and the design you're heading to! I'll cook up some stuff with the same vibe I think. Sorkness, from the last bunch, only the last picture is convincing for me, good style there. The other designs are still infected with sport-bras

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.