Thanks

Painter 8 for $79

Visit http://www.pricegrabber.com and do a search under software for Painter 8 and you'll find an Academic version for $79.95

Or go here for direct access:
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...9d70fe74dfbb4d

I recently purchased it and I'm loving every moment of it. Most places with discount prices on Painter asked for verification of student status. While I could have provided it... I was never asked to (and I doubt anyone else would be either). This sped up my order and reduced hassle. I had Painter 8 in less than a week.

I also checked out Pricegrabber.com with the Better Business Bureau and they checked out. Almost all buyer reviews were also positive.

The only difference I'm aware of between the "Academic" version and the regular version is the lack of an instruction booklet with the packaging (which is included anyway as a PDF on the second installation disc).

Hope this helps anyone who has been looking to buy this program but is short on cash. Now I've got to find a good price on a new Wacom Intuos II 6x8.

Happy Holidays!
    I cook like crisco, I pump the ill disco...
    http://www.theafter.net

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    cool!! i really want to get painter 8, but dont have the 300 big ones!

do any of these stores deliver to the uk?

how come its so cheap?
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    From looking at the page I'd say yeah because they've got options to click for intertnational shipping. I'm sure that would increase the cost somewhat - but it's still very much worth it. I spent a long time looking for a good price on Painter and this is the best I found.

Good luck!
    I cook like crisco, I pump the ill disco...
    http://www.theafter.net

Thanks
    i found it for all you uk folk!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...636165-8814048

its £64, which is pretty spiffy!!

it says you need prof of being a student. i'm still in highschool, would that be ok? or do you need to be in college/uni?

i'm so happy!!
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

Thanks
    Hi,

A very important difference with the Academic version of Painter is that you can't use it for professional work.

Otherwise, if you're a student, not making money with your Painter work, it's fine.

I believe you can also buy the Painter 8 User Guide from Corel if you really think you need it. The online Help Topics or PDF should be plenty, though.
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    just bought it. should come on friday.

i'm a student, and i'm sure i wont sell anything for a long long time, so i'm ok!!

what if i apint something, post it on my website, and then someone wants to buy it? would i have to get the professional version and paint it again? just wondering
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

Thanks
    A very important difference with the Academic version of Painter is that you can't use it for professional work.

Yeah. I hear that if you ever sell any of the work you do in this version, the software will hear about it, over the Internet I think, and delete all files.

Sorry, I know what you mean. I am just always a little amused by the hoops companies will jump through to make every customer pay the highest price he is willing to give.
    http://MacCreator.com
    http://domai.com
    http://stobblehouse.com

Thanks
    Can an academic version be upgraded?

Jess

Thanks
    There are generally two different licences available for software. Academic (Student) and Commercial.

Academic can only be purchased if you are a current student enrolled in a course that is related to the software. It generally only costs a fraction of the Commercial price, but you are not allowed to make any money from it. Academic licences only last a year from the date of purchase as well. Although the software just doesn't shut down and stop working, you may get in a bit of trouble if you continue to use it past the date. Academic software is not upgradeable either. Everytime an update is released, you have to buy it again.

Commercial is all yours. You can earn money from it and use it as long as you want, but it costs a lot more. To make matters even more complicated though, some software has two different types of Commercial licences. User based or machine based. Machine based means that it can only be installed on one machine, but many people may use it (Windows), and user based means one user may use the sw on as many comps as they own. Say you have four comps in your house, you can install the sw on all of them, but only you may use it.

Licensing is really tricky.
    .: I am a Middle Class Member :.

Thanks
    Thanks, Aven

I thought I'd read somewhere that the academic version of Painter could be upgraded (in some argument regarding Adobe not allowing that, iirc). Perhaps that was through Metacreations... or perhaps my memory is flawed.

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks

License generalizations are inaccurate!

Originally posted by Aven
    Academic can only be purchased if you are a current student enrolled in a course that is related to the software.
    Close, but wrong. Corel only requires a valid photo ID for Full or Part-time registered students of Post-Secondary schools (High School students are not eligible).
    Academic licences only last a year from the date of purchase as well.
    This is true for multi-user commercial licensing, but totally false for individual licenses. Corel's licensing agreement is "perpetual, non-exclusive, non-transferable." If you qualify to purchase Corel software under the academic licensing, there is no expiration date to the license.
    Academic software is not upgradeable either. Everytime an update is released, you have to buy it again.
    Again, false. I originally purchased Painter 7 as a college student, and then purchased the FULL upgrade to Painter 8, which now grants me full commercial usage.

You are confusing commercial licensing with EULA agreements for individuals. Commercial licensing is for businesses, schools, and large organizations, and is very different from End User License Agreements, which are more flexible.

Don't take other people's word for something this important. Go to the website of ANY software you may want to purchase as a student. You will find Licensing terms and agreements which will spell out the do's and don'ts in very clear terms.
    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks

Re: License generalizations are inaccurate!

Originally posted by madster
    I originally purchased Painter 7 as a college student, and then purchased the FULL upgrade to Painter 8, which now grants me full commercial usage.
    Thank you, madster. Good to know it's possible to upgrade from the academic version!

Thanks
    Thank you Madster. I have never purchased Academic versions for Painter so thank you for clearing that up. It is very unusual that Corel allow you to upgrade an Academic version of it. Then again I though it was unusual that they allow you to use PS 5+ as an upgrade option.

The one year time frame being false for induvidual licenses is not true. The Academic version of Maya is a one year license for both multi user and individual. I guess that it can change from company to company.

You are correct in contacting the Distibutors to find out info. Contacting the shop that you wish to purchase it from is also a good idea.
    .: I am a Middle Class Member :.

Thanks
    You're much safer contacting the software company to find out what their policies are, than taking the word of a retail store or online store that might not be up to date on policies.
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Great! Now if only I could find Painter 6