Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks

Team Orange soup sketchy adventures

Hello all,

this is the sketchbook thread for team Orange Soup. Here we will put all our ideas and sketches, finished works and whatever we feel is needed for the Team Chow.

Our team excists out of the following members:

Nightblue
    Delmar
    Tommoy
    D.Labruyere

I hope the viewers get as much fun out of this thread as we are going to have

Artwork will come here shortly.

yours,

Daniel

Name:  TeamLogok.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  74.7 KB

Last edited by D.Labruyere; April 7th, 2009 at 06:19 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    First scribbles.

Nightbleu's idea to each pic one or two characters and focus on that seems fine by me, but first let us throw in some rough sketches to set a mood.

T

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Yeah Tommoy, that's the spirit!!! ..motivated me to do a few myself..

Thanks
    *joins the mood setting shizzle*

Name:  character_sketches_1.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  67.0 KB

we really should try and get a certain 'theme' to work on within the next couple off days.

Thanks
    Delmar, nice brushwork man

I'm with Daniel we need a theme, from there we could set up a mood, gather reference and sketch on. So what do you guys think of an African theme, mixed with armor, middle ages to start of with. Its just a thought, let us know if you have suggestions for a theme.

Tom.

Thanks
    I like the idea of an african theme. I'm gonna try out some sketches

just dumping some more quick character ideas

Name:  character_sketches_2.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  65.8 KB

Thanks
    I like the idea too, so I ran with it... in my own version Fantastic sketches. More! moooar!

Here's my take on the characters:

Hero: She is tough, but the brief made it sounds like she has been or still is a civilian - she is surprised and terrified that she can fight at all, meaning she lived the civilian life at least for some period of time. She should also appear emotionally vulnerable because of her past and the conflicts between people around her.

Shadow: He dresses in the same vein as hero. To emphasize his mysteriousness, part of his face could be hidden. I made him medium-built to contrast with the heavy protector and the slim rabble rouser.

Protector: I can't think of a very interesting take on this one :| sounds like a typical gentle giant. Will try to dig more into it if necessary.

Sage: She/he should have a completely different vibe than the rest, and her/his facial expression should be kind of spacey. She/he should be slim. indicating that she is not meant for physical combat.

Technician: I took the magic approach to this. My version carries a number of bottled miniature vehicles/creatures and magically blow them to full size. This character sounds like a wide open one but should reflect the genre/tech level of our general choosing.

Rabble Rouser: The handsome rogue. I think he should be slim to indicate sneakiness and lack of strength. I guess my take on him is... a rogue, hehe.

These are just my thoughts, please do share yours... lets get the ideas flowing

Thanks
    Nice work guys, great start NB. I've set up a small moodboard, I suggest you guys do the same and show us the influences you would like to add. Some keywords for me: African, traditional african outfit combined with armor, post apocalyptic, wasteland.

Thanks
    nice work nightblue and tommoy! Here is my current twist to the whole african theme. Ill also make a mood board

Name:  character_sketches_3.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  260.1 KB

Thanks
    Having a communal style guide board is a great idea. We can use Tommoy's as a starting point and add to it.

I think we can find a middle ground between D.Labruyere and Tommoy's sketches, while adding some Delmar style. African costumes show a lot of skin, and I think skin + armor = win Who else likes to draw muscle/boobs?

Thanks
    I'm all for african + medieval armor. You can have a lot of variety in clothing etc, having the characters just basicaly pick up everything they can find and use it to there good. It gives you the oppertunity of finding the most bizar combinations while mantaining one style.

Right! I've simply added to tom's moodboard because I thought he had a great start with it already.

Name:  MB1.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  500.0 KB

Thanks
    Yeah that's a great idea with the african theme ! ...but i think we need some kind of technological level in this world.....the technician has to fit in this time and world as well as the sage....

Good stuff already!!

some ideas...

Thanks
    Nice style Delmar! That looks like the protector. We definitely need tech level - it would influence the kind of trinkets carried by other characters as well.

It might be a good idea to outline a schedule, so the deadline doesn't sneak up on us We also need to stat thinking about what we want to present. I was talking to Daniel online and he brought up a good point - our characters should go together enough to be presented on one page, standing side by side. Massive Black concept sheets tend to include character (front/back,) action poses, material palette (cloth, metal...), facial expressions (for main characters), and additional drawings for details or structure for complex objects. It would be great to come up with marketing illustrations for each character, but I don't know how much we can do before the deadline.

I'm ok too if you guys don't want to do this like an actual concept art project - I love painting me some pretty pictures too without worrying too much over details. Which direction does everybody prefer to focus on? Concept art that can actually be used in production, or marketing illustrations that sell the characters?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1