Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Team Chow :: Topics and Main Thread

Team Chow :: Topics and Main Thread

TEAM CHOW SIX CHARACTERS
    DESCRIPTION

For this Team Chow you will be required to design six characters that make up the 'protaganist' side of the game/tv show/ect that we are pretending to create. There will be no villians/antagonists this round.

* Can be changed according to genre. ie, mechanical = magical = steampowered, car = boat = horse, etc.
    ** You may do two version of this, if you wish.

Characters:

The Hero
    - Female, between 20 - 30. Has no memory of anything beyond a year before present.
    - Stubborn to a fault, but unswervingly loyal to those she cares about, convinced that she could lose her memory of them at any time she makes the most of every moment.
    - Has a tendency to say things before she thinks about them.
    - Rumoured to have a second personality that can remember everything from before, a 'dark' side, as it were, with totally different personality traits. **
    - A quick learner, but unlikely to pay attention unless something immediately catches her interest.
    - Searching for her past but ultimately easily caught up in the present and the worries of others, tending to think of other people before herself.
    - Found (to her horror) that she is more than capable of handling herself in a fight, and likely capable of killing.

The Shadow
    - Male, between 20 - 30 (should be around Hero's age).
    - The only person that the hero has any memory of, beyond the last year (though she can only remember his face), and the only person who might know who she is. He pretends he doesn't know, or refuses to say.
    - Seemingly self-absorbed but actually self-destructive, has a tendency to take out his insecurities as malicious remarks on other people.
    - Isn't well liked, but doesn't care, or pretends he doesn't.
    - Doesn't seem to have any friends except the hero, who he would do anything for, though of course he would never say that. However, though he seems to actively despise the rest of her friends, he cares for them more than he admits.
    - Whether he is helping the hero find her memory, or actively hindering her, is unclear. She believes he is helping her. He doesn't necessarily believe that it would help her to find it.
    - Often disappears for long periods.

The Protector
    - Male or Female, between 25 - 50, well-built
    - Found the Hero directly after she had lost her memory, and managed to piece her back together.
    - Strong and loyal, but prone to worry. Decided to take hero under wing, and began to notice the very strange energies* and events that surrounded her.
    - Completely distrusts the Shadow and the Sage and believes they are actively working against the Hero's interests, but defer's to the Hero's opinion and trust of them.
    - Strengths lie in activities done with the hands - higher concepts either are not a concern, or are too hard to think about in depth.
    - Honest and blunt, so sometimes seems unkind, but never means it.
    - Sometimes wonders if accidently stepped in way too deep into something never meant to be approached.

The Sage
    - Male or Female, any age
    - Does not come from the same country* as hero. Came from far away to find something, and claims that the hero will lead her to it, though will not say what it is - even whether it is a physical object* or a higher plane*.
    - Often seems to be looking through the person that he/she is speaking to, and just as frequently stares off into space.
    - Seems to disappear whenever trouble starts, but has saved the hero and her companion multiple times to threats that they were completely obvlivious/unaware of.
    - Eats very little and sleeps less, and makes very little noise when he/she walks.

The Technician*
    - Female, 18 - 28
    - Completely in tune with anything mechanical*. Takes things apart / dissects things with disturbing regularity, and while can usually put them back together again sometimes forgets to do so, to the dismay of her friends whose objects* she 'borrows'.
    - Fascinated by all methods of transport*, and has an amazingly large memory for all vehicles* and machines* but not for people or places (they are just not important!)
    - Initially hired for one-off job by the Hero and the Protector, but took an instant liking to them and convinced them of her usefullness.
    - Not very good in rough situations like fights, prefers cold logic of puzzles, as her size tends to work against her. However, pressed into a corner, she can make her technical* knowledge work to her advantage in place of physical prowess.
    - wears her heart on her sleeve and is often very cheerful, but takes some blows very hard (a friend getting hurt, etc). Sometimes flighty.

The Rabble Rouser
    - Male, 20 - 30 (should be around Hero's age)
    - Met Hero + crew rather accidently and they helped out of a bit of trouble (which he had gotten himself into and was almost entirely his fault).
    - Developed instant infatuation with Hero + told her that he would help her find her memory. Infatuation may or may not be sincere. Hero does not return it.
    - Tends to bring trouble with him, or create it when he gets there, as he grates people's nerves.
    - Charming and seemingly hollow, but in select instances with the Shadow has shown that he's invested more in the quest than one would think - though perhaps not for the apparent reasons.
    - Has good luck with gambling to match his bad luck with people, and never is wont for money - it tends to find him as easily as he finds it.
    - Has an excellent memory for faces as well as for numbers.
    - Well groomed, but not as flamboyant as one might expect - unless it is on purpose as part of a bluff.

--------

SUBMISSION GUIDLINES

The Final Burning Thread will go up ONE WEEK before deadline. The deadline will be April 30th, at 11:59 pm GMT - 5, Eastern Standard Time. I will accept submissions as long as it is April 30th somewhere in the world, but after this I will close the thread. I am going to give myself 1-2 days to then sort out the poll and the voting, so please be patient.

1. One team member will be in charge of submitting the final entry. How the entry is presented will be up to you, but keep it consistent and coherent.
    2. Remember that you will need to submit wips. If you decide to make a group sketchbook for this activity, a link to that will suffice.
    3. Also sumbit a list of Team Activity. I want to see how well you worked as a team - who was in charge of what and what each member did.
    4. All other ChoW rules apply. If you are not familiar with the usual chow rules, please read the guidlines thread sticked at the top of the subforum. Including, 3/4ths rule, no paint-overs, etc.
    5. Please submit files with this naming convention: TeamChow_TeamName_Image001.jpg

This thread is for Wips, General Discussion, Etc.

Last edited by daestwen; April 4th, 2009 at 10:49 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 52 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reminds me of Firefly.

I'm here to admire art and learn how to be a better artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for all the work you've been putting into this Daestwen!
    Fantastic character briefs! Sounds epic

SSG Buddies
    Eerin | Hapun | Eromenos

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Daestwen. You've done an amazing amount of work already.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so I'm going to be the first pain in the ass.... Wooo!

One team member will be in charge of submitting the final entry. How the entry is presented will be up to you, but keep it consistent and coherent.

Does this mean One image with all characters?

What if after we work out the designs as a group each of us takes on a character to draw... the styles will be different. I personally prefer not to do this as an assembly line... so a little clarity on that Consistent expectation would be appreciated. Can it be as simple as a color palette and background? Just want to be sure before we start this puppy...

/ End of annoying questions /

Very excited about this!! As someone who has to artistically compromise with people in the name of teamwork on a daily basis... its nice I'll be doing it for fun for once. LOL!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shannanigan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by shannanigan View Post
    Ok so I'm going to be the first pain in the ass.... Wooo!

One team member will be in charge of submitting the final entry. How the entry is presented will be up to you, but keep it consistent and coherent.

Does this mean One image with all characters?
    No, it means One team member will make one post in the final burning thread with however many images you choose to include.

What if after we work out the designs as a group each of us takes on a character to draw... the styles will be different. I personally prefer not to do this as an assembly line... so a little clarity on that Consistent expectation would be appreciated. Can it be as simple as a color palette and background? Just want to be sure before we start this puppy...
    I just mean presentation. So, like, your border should be the same.

That being said, it will certainly benefit you to keep a similar palette, since even with different styles, you need it to read like it is coming from the same thing.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I kind of thought of it as having each person do a specific job. Like you would if you were creating a graphic novel. At least that would be the easiest way to make everything look consistent.

It's nice to be doing this with other people. You get motivation and help from all sides. I'm wondering how easy it will be for everyone to play well together. I can see the paint flying now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woohoo!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awwwww jeah! It's da break dowwnnnnn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright then woot!

Thanks Dae, we'll get started as soon as possible

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks deastwen. This brief is fucking mouth-watering.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with iambanana, with additional profanity!!! effing cool!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great! The briefs are asking to be framed and put on a wall. They are really good and I can't wait to get started Well done, Daestwen and thanks for all the effort until now, if I could I would send you some flowers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm posting my team's sketchbook now so we can get the ideas rolling!

From talking with my team, I think how we're going to handle it is with every member painting each image together. It could create a situation of too many cooks in one kitchen, but I think it's going to be the truest collaboration. That way all of our strengths are in each image and hopefully all of our weaknesses will be compensated for by the other members of the team. It'll mean emailing a lot of big psd files back and forth though

Great briefs Daestwen, they really can fit with anything but still tell a lot about the characters.

Edit - Here's our sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...19#post2200219

Last edited by Sentinel.; April 3rd, 2009 at 07:42 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oooh, the characters sound interesting! This'll be fun!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yay the descriptions are up Gonna give myself and my team a kick in the butt now to start things up!

Great job on the write-up for this one, Daestwen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm so fired up now! Great job, daestwen!

Just wondering, are we going to do anything about our setting? No description of it at all?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GUH YES this is going to be so obscenely fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think I saw this information anywhere, so: do all/any of the characters have to be human? I know the genre and world is free, but this wasn't covered I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Daestwen! Good luck everyone! Looking forward to this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mulm: Like I said in the original thread, the place/setting/genre/theme/time-period is entirely up to you. These briefs were specifically designed so that they can fit whatever theme you can come up with.

hungryan: no, they do not have to be human.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool. Time to get rolling.

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AlisonRobin View Post
    Reminds me of Firefly.

same here! Thank you Daestwen, I really appreciate all the amazing work!! Bad Ass!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adding one more big THANK YOU to Daestwen! This is a huge amount of work, and I'm guessing a lot more than you bargained for...

Great idea though!

"Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huge thanks from me too! Awsome idea and this is already being fun!

Here's our SB for those who would like to look or give a comment or something: Team ChOW - Tinhat Troopers

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so it begins...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Weird Sisters...or 'Team Weird', as we're wont to call ourselves...can be found hither: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...28#post2200728

Tagline? "Once Upon a High Noon"!

Last edited by quickreaver; April 3rd, 2009 at 05:03 PM.
    “The moment you think you understand a great work of art, it's dead for you.”~Oscar Wilde
    My Inglorious Portfolio!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Could I suggest you create a single thread as well. Having each team editing a single post within. Giving us thumbnail like updates of what they've been up to. It would be Much easier for us as observers. If they're willing of course.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crumpets and PAIN WIP development thread- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...74#post2200574

Featuring CCThrom, blackcherry, and arttorney. Nothing fancy just yet. More thumbnails in a few days probably.

Last edited by arttorney; April 3rd, 2009 at 08:43 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1