Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Art of the turtle!

Hi!, I was advised by a great artist that the best way to improve was to post my stuff up, at CA and be advised on how to improve, so here goes..

I really want to get into concept art and environment art, with this first image, which was a really quick sketch to get an idea out, not so much details.

I'm really looking for some tips on how to better define the planes and textures of rocks, mountains and the like..

Forgive me if this isn't updated regularly, I have a lot of difficulties even starting a piece, and rarely finish them.. any tips on the latter would also be great!

Thanks for viewing!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi, this is my latest piece.

Wanted to have a skyscape where I could practise how I formed clouds, I think I did ok in that regard, the mountains are terrible, not sure how to go about sculpting it and describing it's form, however I think the textures are decent.

tips are welcomed and appreciated, thanks for looking

photoshop, 5 hours ( too long ).

have a lot of trouble straying from these 'eye-level' camera pieces because I can't emphasize depth probably, any tips on that would be great!
    Last edited by SHAP00PI; April 4th, 2009 at 03:15 AM.

Thanks
    cool ...strting...!

Thanks
    This is my latest piece, inspired by the 'Digital Painting in Photoshop II' thread, this piece was done without reference, in Painter X (now that I figured out how to customize brush textures) in about 3 hours, maybe less.

I'm really noticing some improvement now, just in the way I approach a piece, and the time I allocate to it and the patience I delogate towards it.

Let me know your thoughts, I think personally I need more highlights in the apple to emphasize it's almost plastic like skin!

Thanks for looking.

Thanks
    Art of the turtle!
    an older image, thought i should upload it here, it didn't get any comments over at the critique forum i posted it at earlier, so hopefully i get some here.

artrage 2.5 and painter, the character is Linkin Park Emcee, Mike Shinoda.

Thanks
    post more!

Thanks
    ^yessir

latest, speed paint, 2 hours no ref, in painter.

I'm happy with it, clouds look cool, mountain is decent, maybe cleaner more refined planes, but i'm happy with the texture, tested out some new custom brushes =D

Thanks
    was going to submit this to eow 110, but got real angry at not being able to paint what i wanted to paint, so this is essentially a wip, trying to make my style more loose, like perhaps mullins, or pao.. i find myself subconsiously needing to render everything, and make everything smooth, and manually inputing detail, when I consiously know it isnt necessary..

Thanks
    latest piece, wanted to step back and stop forcing myself into images i technically cannot create, so i figured, stay true to the mountain and landscapes ive been interested in, but rather approach it from a more simplistic angle, sand dunes. im happy with it, had some troubles showing the slopes in the dunes, so that was a challenge, lack of texture is kinda bugging me though.. and it seems flat.

painter, 1 hour.

scale reference at last minute, because i realise the importance of scale in the image.

kinda discouraging to see there are no comments, but ill keep trying! thanks for viewing.

Thanks
    wanted to do another take on the simplistic scape things i talked about in my last sketchbook addition, figured a colder palette would be a nice change.

not really happy with the image, i think im over doing the angles on the mountains and making them to high, especially with dunes like these..

i was, however, somewhat happy with the texture i got, and being able to fake detail and bumps in the snow, to a certain extent

Thanks
    just a quick sketch of stitch, a cartoon character i adore!!

about 30 minutes, in my new found best friend, sketchbook pro 2009, my 2010 trial version doesn't work, anyone with a solution.. (L)

will colour in painter tomorrow, it's late now, thanks for viewing!

Thanks
    finished off the sketch from my last post in painter x..

not really happy with the outcome, the sketch seems to look so much better, any tips for changing this perception, greatly appreciated!

i'm happy i saw the image out, contrary to my initial instinct to just go 'this sucks, stop now'.. so from that standpoint, im happy..

Thanks
    my teacher at school thinks my personality is kinda like Rhino from bolt, the awesome little hamster thing!

1hr, ref no trace, sbk pro 09.

will colour in painter in the next few hours, enjoy.

i'm happy with how i captured the character, i think it looks like the original, with my style added to it, somewhat.. lets see how colouring pans out!!

Thanks
    I think this has got to be my best painting yet, i'm so happy with it!

worked from a reference i purchased at photocase, and from there just painted what i saw.

painter
    3hour
    w/ref

yay

Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 919 Posts
    SHA SHA SHAP00PIE

i agree with your most recent piece being the best so far.
    keep doing what you're doing and don't forget to study from life!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast