Sketchbook: UnidColors Environments 5th March
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: UnidColors Environments 5th March

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

UnidColors Environments 5th March

Hello since I sort of have decided what I wanna paint, which is environments!.
    So I sort of need a place to post the work I do, maybe the practice stuff or less finished ones, finished ones too!.
    It might happen I post other stuff than environment's!

(edited) I moved the first images that used to be here, down a few posts.

anyway I hope you enjoy.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by UnidColor; March 4th, 2010 at 07:51 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UnidColor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess I'll be the first one to reply. I really like these. I like the ideas behind them, especially the last one and the fourth from the bottom (the snowy one). I don't really have any critiques or anything for you, just encouragement, so keep it up. I dig it.

revenebo is offline orchitect and designerd
    Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your environments kick ass (I already knew it from your EoW entries...).

How much does it take you to make one of those more or less?? Do you have some work in progress pictures to post?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice!
    I like most of them.

Keep posting dude

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow... these are great! o____o the colours are amaring!

“Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy”

My Sketchbook DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Osau View Post
    I guess I'll be the first one to reply. I really like these. I like the ideas behind them, especially the last one and the fourth from the bottom (the snowy one). I don't really have any critiques or anything for you, just encouragement, so keep it up. I dig it.
    Thanks alot, im glad u liked them=) and thanks for the encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by revenebo View Post
    Your environments kick ass (I already knew it from your EoW entries...).

How much does it take you to make one of those more or less?? Do you have some work in progress pictures to post?
    I do have a few work in progress picture, two to be exact. planning to do more, or some recording, once I get better ofcourse!.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/435/progress1s.jpg
    http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2114/progress2g.jpg

It really depends on the subject, some goes faster maybe an hour? and some of them Im not happy with or im just not getting it to work it can drag on for another hour or so.

Mainly because I need more practice with enviroments and with perspectives and stuff.

Also when I dont have anything in my mind, I just start with something and see what comes out with it, it can take abit longer time, figuring out what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by mariusz View Post
    Nice!
    I like most of them.

Keep posting dude
    Thanks alot, will do!

Quote Originally Posted by AvisNocturna View Post
    Wow... these are great! o____o the colours are amaring!
    Thanks alot, colors are what I enjoy!=)

Uhm this is something I did today, I sort of hated it, struggled with it, I for once tried to paint buildings in my picture without some 3d model with some perspective brush for grid, but I sort of did 2 point perspective with 1 point grid; fail, so yeh its rather off.

Will try to improve on that cuz I enjoy painting those buildings.

Last edited by UnidColor; January 9th, 2010 at 12:22 PM.

Pixie Trick is online now Industrial Design of the Week Leader
    Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe. I said I'd show up! Perspective is really valuable to learn, and personally it's quite easy. (I can't figure out how even sketch-up works, for goodness sake ) Some good places are Loomis' 'Sucessful Drawing' (you can download this) and 'Perspective for Artists' by Rex Vicat Cole. Cole is bit complex vocabulary wise, but is very in depth and goes over everything up to how to taking account how the earth is round (not particularly useful but interesting) to perspective when looking down hills and such forth. Loomis is a bit clearer, and covers a lot, and more in relation to humans than theoretical and architectural. Yoitisi has a section in the IDW thread for some perspective related exercises and lessons as well. I believe he's starting up a new mentoring group in the near future as well. He goes over drawing straight lines by hand, and cubes by eye, ellipses, shadows, transferring orthos into 3D etc. Also, seedling at some point in her concept art 101 goes over shadows and more basic perspective (Yoitisi might as well but I'm not sure).

Beautiful enviros. I try to do any form of foliage or rock and it turns into a blob. I love enviros but struggle with them. My favourites from the first post I think are the snow one, and the one right above it. Your cloud are wonderful as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Trick View Post
    Hehe. I said I'd show up! Perspective is really valuable to learn, and personally it's quite easy. (I can't figure out how even sketch-up works, for goodness sake ) Some good places are Loomis' 'Sucessful Drawing' (you can download this) and 'Perspective for Artists' by Rex Vicat Cole. Cole is bit complex vocabulary wise, but is very in depth and goes over everything up to how to taking account how the earth is round (not particularly useful but interesting) to perspective when looking down hills and such forth. Loomis is a bit clearer, and covers a lot, and more in relation to humans than theoretical and architectural. Yoitisi has a section in the IDW thread for some perspective related exercises and lessons as well. I believe he's starting up a new mentoring group in the near future as well. He goes over drawing straight lines by hand, and cubes by eye, ellipses, shadows, transferring orthos into 3D etc. Also, seedling at some point in her concept art 101 goes over shadows and more basic perspective (Yoitisi might as well but I'm not sure).

Beautiful enviros. I try to do any form of foliage or rock and it turns into a blob. I love enviros but struggle with them. My favourites from the first post I think are the snow one, and the one right above it. Your cloud are wonderful as well.
    Thanks alot! yeh I will make sure to check those stuff and read, I also got a quite good dvd named perspective the science of art from draw123.com, I think its really good, but I need to watch it more=9.

And yeh mainly just setting up grids and get used to work with them is what I need to do too.

Anyway here is a few more enviroments, im not in love with them all but meh:8

Some of these I practiced starting in greyscale and color it and than finished with some painting on top

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow looking nice dude! Some of these enviros are really kicking ass! I like. Keep em coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I love the way you use colour in your paintings. These are awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really cool artwork, love your brushstrokes!
    Post more!

Cheers,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm... Have you noticed that in each of those enviros, the composition is very similar? The focal point is (if using the rule of thirds) at around the top right corner point? Just watch were you put cliff like objects that curve down to this point from the left, and a shorter corresponding segment on the right. Actually, the bridge one has the focal point closest to an 'ideal' point (rule of thirds once again), and I think is the strongest compositionally. Maybe some playing around with canvas ratios would help mix things up a bit.

Did you paint everything in greyscale first and then add a multiply layer on top, then straight painting? Interesting. They look a bit different than the others above. Still, quite nice and bit looser.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1238616215

I like the 3rd one from the top (the canyon thingy) the strokes are great and theres a intresting warm cool balance goin on in there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HARMONY+ View Post
    Wow looking nice dude! Some of these enviros are really kicking ass! I like. Keep em coming.
    Thanks alot, will do!

Quote Originally Posted by azekariel View Post
    Wow, I love the way you use colour in your paintings. These are awesome!
    Heh thanks, yeh It tend to get abit saturated and colorfull=)

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Gecov View Post
    Really cool artwork, love your brushstrokes!
    Post more!

Cheers,
    Thanks alot! yeh im trying to get away from rendering, super detailing and stuff, im trying to get more into brushstrokes, edges and stuff like that, just indicate stuff=9.

Hmmm... Have you noticed that in each of those enviros, the composition is very similar? The focal point is (if using the rule of thirds) at around the top right corner point? Just watch were you put cliff like objects that curve down to this point from the left, and a shorter corresponding segment on the right. Actually, the bridge one has the focal point closest to an 'ideal' point (rule of thirds once again), and I think is the strongest compositionally. Maybe some playing around with canvas ratios would help mix things up a bit.

Did you paint everything in greyscale first and then add a multiply layer on top, then straight painting? Interesting. They look a bit different than the others above. Still, quite nice and bit looser.
    Yeh, not sure if I noticed before, but now when u say it, I agree they all look the same!, im gonna try work on that=).
    Yeh gonna try change on the canvas abit, and maybe think abit more.

yep I never really got the paint-in-greyscale than color it to work, so I go halfway than I finish it just like a normal painting, but yeh, I dont normally do that, but I think it good practice, one of my goals is to try starting pictures in alot of ways, and find the ways I enjoy working with.

Thanks for your comment, very usefull!=D

Quote Originally Posted by Wasker View Post
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1238616215

I like the 3rd one from the top (the canyon thingy) the strokes are great and theres a intresting warm cool balance goin on in there.
    Thanks alot, im glad u liked it=)

Quote Originally Posted by darknight View Post
    glad I asked you to start this sketchbook
    I really like the progress wips for the planet of the vixens and atlantis,
    keep up the great envirements!
    Heh yeh im glad too! thankyou=)

Uhm yeh this is something I did today, took abit over an hour I think, im just doing some perspective practice behind some artwork im working on, once im done with that I can go back and do more of these.

The goal with this one was practicing drawing buildings in perspective, but I think I screw it up when I was setting up the grid=9, But yeh 2 point perspective, 2 set of lines converging to 2 different points on the horizontal, I tried to avoid putting them too close to each other to avoid distortion.

What I missed was, I think the lines are not on the same horizontal because I moved it abit when I did the grid, but meh, I dont notice it atleast hah, anyway if u see anything wrong with it, just tell me, other than that, I think the upper window is abit wrong, but it was mainly because I dont have any more time to paint tonight =9.

Progress of jungle
    Progress of the sand

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope you don't mind me posting this here (just say and I'll get rid of it), but I did a bit of a paintover/explanation and an example of what I thought you might have wanted to do. It looks weird because of the close points, but the idea's there. You keep mentioning grids, which makes me curious as to whether you're making this a bit more complicated than it needs to be. I hope this is clear enough to understand.

Name:  unid paintover 1.jpg
Views: 6601
Size:  125.9 KB

Name:  perspective example.jpg
Views: 6567
Size:  82.4 KB

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixie Trick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope you don't mind me posting this here (just say and I'll get rid of it), but I did a bit of a paintover/explanation and an example of what I thought you might have wanted to do. It looks weird because of the close points, but the idea's there. You keep mentioning grids, which makes me curious as to whether you're making this a bit more complicated than it needs to be. I hope this is clear enough to understand.

Name:  unid paintover 1.jpg
Views: 6601
Size:  125.9 KB

Name:  perspective example.jpg
Views: 6567
Size:  82.4 KB
    Heh thanks for taking your time drawing and explaining it!, ofcourse I dont mind!, infact I found it very intressting. it might help other people too.

Anyway to see if I understood the issue I did some explanations here, I made a sketchup model to study from sort of.

I know the grid is abit complicated=9 for what I was gonna paint. but it was simple to make, the issue was I think I moved one of them abit down, making the horizontal tilt, and since I didnt drew the horizontal, I couldn't see some of lines was missing the horizontal line.

And yeh some speedy speed paintings to finish it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great environments man. I like your color contrast and variation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice stuff mate,

May sound a little odd, but I love the way you paint rocks, cheers for sharing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DannySketch View Post
    Really nice stuff mate,

May sound a little odd, but I love the way you paint rocks, cheers for sharing.
    I have to agree. It's something about the brushwork, I especially like the second image you posted at the top of the page with the cliffs. It has a nice feel and style to it. What kind of brushes are you using?

"No matter how many times my artistic ability fails, I always want to try again." - Anonymous

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To star off, I love the speedies. Both are gorgeous. I love the colours and brushwork.

Here's a followup on the perspective. I suggest you read up on this whole mess. MB also has a download on this too. I could go on for a looong time on this, but I don't want to hijack your sb into a lesson.

Name:  unid paintover 2.jpg
Views: 6419
Size:  144.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your comments everyone!

Zakarra, I use alot of brushes, im not sure which ones who is who, but I probably got 9 different brush packets all from different peoples, I made a tool preset with about 30 brushes I use alot.
    Anyway pretty mutch all those brushes are in the brush sharing thread here on CA to name a few I use brushes from, Daarken, goros and outside those I use a few of Whit Brachna brushes, just love them because of the textures, and some brushes named "Blur's good brush-4.0 pro En" which has alot of my favorite brushes in it, sadly I just found out you are not allowed to use the for business without permission (blur's ones), but I cant see why if u use very abstract brushes, I mean its not mutch different than a normal brush in real life, and I mean its abit silly, but yeh I dont know, he got so many brushes maybe some brushes are more "less abstract" so u really can see the shapes he made. but still makes me sad.

But im in progress making my own brushes, it goes quite fast and yeh its fun, so some sort of "unidcolor brushset" is gonna come up soon I hope, once I feel happy with it.

thank you again Pixie Trick for taking your time as always=).

Maybe I was abit unclear earlier ,the perspective lines earlier up are the incorrect ones, what I ment earlier with "moving the grid down by misstake", was that I moved ether the red or the yellow lines of the grid down abit, doesnt really mather which, because if u do they wont match the horizontal line.

And if I would have wanted the horizontal line to tild, I would need to tilt the vertical lines too.

But yeh i think I understand it alright now but next time I will make sure to draw the horizontal line, to make sure we dont create a mess like this again =X sorry!

But yeh im sure it will end up good=) I sure have learnt something and I will keep studying perspective and hopefully have it under my controll soon enough!

Last edited by UnidColor; April 10th, 2009 at 06:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just playing around with my new brushes, spent quite a few ours on the top one, but I dont like how it came out, its like meh:/
    The two bottom ones are just scribbles that came out when I was making the brushes

Last edited by UnidColor; April 13th, 2009 at 08:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey those look great. I'm going to have to check those brushes out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is there any other way to upload pictures here?, like so I can write stuff about them, because now its an attachement box around them all.

Anyway the lifedrawing of the USB memory was done with 100% opacity brush, so looks odd, saw it from Algenpfleger sketchbook=9.

And yeh this is some stuff I did today, I have some pencil drawings too, but I leave them until I got post image properly=)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good. The brushes are very nice form what I'm seeing. The top one looks beautiful but the right and left halves don't look quite as though they are part of the same pic. I actually thing it might look better if you just cropped the left part off and made a herdsman with his flock scene. I love your rocks btw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks yeh I think that was missing with that picture, It didnt feel like it was in one piece, I think it could do with some extending on the right side now to get away with the squarish canvas, but I will leave it like that.

Lucky the picture was fairly detailed=9 could probably do a picture of the other side too hah.

Yeh the brushes seems to work good, some of them is abit meh, but I will keep improving them and removing and adding more=9, I got them for download on my Deviant

I do enjoy painting stones, they are tricky to do, but I think they are so interessting.

Thanks for your comment!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello been doing some sketches practicing lines and stuff, they are not like very good but I post them anyway, I also did some characters, practicing anatomy, and drawing characters in general, I think it will be a good and valuable exercise.

This is something I did as a warmup, I didnt feel like painting today so I had to start somewhere, turned out I painted pretty mutch all day.
    Name:  Gasland.jpg
Views: 6154
Size:  111.8 KB
    This is some character thumbnail and a character more refinded, however this is from imagination and my anatomy is pretty poor, but I think I learn better this way than just drawing from pictures, next step will be redrawing it again with reference and see.. after that I can look forward to practice lightning, rendering, shadows.
    Name:  CharacterThumbnail.jpg
Views: 6077
Size:  76.3 KB
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 6054
Size:  181.9 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 5861
Size:  121.7 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 5735
Size:  108.4 KB
    This one is the only one really old from 08, it was just around to be scanned.
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 5687
Size:  148.9 KB
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 5571
Size:  71.2 KB
    Name:  6.jpg
Views: 5516
Size:  72.6 KB
    Name:  7.jpg
Views: 5416
Size:  79.8 KB
    Name:  8.jpg
Views: 5320
Size:  87.0 KB
    Name:  9.jpg
Views: 5276
Size:  66.3 KB

anyway phew I knew this would be a pain to upload, but im sure it could be cool to see later in a year or so.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your environments are beautiful. i'm guessing you are more of an industrial individual?

Last edited by tandy1000; May 8th, 2009 at 02:29 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work, your brush detail is amazing keep up the great work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow!!!

Stars and a subscription for you.

Updates for us! Please continue to share!!

Beautiful work so far. I'm truly excited to see what happens when this sketchbook gets full.

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2