Sketchbook: UnidColors Environments 5th March - Page 3

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    love ur enviros man, "the secret path of mushrooms" is real good. composition, colour, lighting, and atmospheric perspective is so dam nice! those particle things at the top of the pic are a nice touch as well.

"Fuck me with a spear!..." -- Quote a song of ice and fire

SKETCHBOOK

BlOG
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yeah, these are a huge improvement over your already awesome work. I was considering doing Bobby Chiu's class. I would love to do the full class, but self taught is cheaper. Do you recommend it?

--
    Paper Nautilus
    Sketchblog
    CA Sketchbook
    Twitter
    DeviantArt page

If you want to live an interesting life, you're going to spend half of it being terrified.
    -Mary Hollinshead

Thanks
    Vulgar` Cheers! Tiny steps but its moving forward=9!
    Teundeboer Hehe thanks, im glad u like it, I currently dont have a profession, its because I just feel like learning at the moment, but I hope to work in the industry, maybe freelancing or something
    rasta-art Heh Thanks! sometimes u just get inspired, or a piece just starts out really nice, and I think that was one of those, really enjoyed doing it, im glad you liked it as mutch as I enjoyed painting it=).
    Cacodaemonia Cheers! im glad u like it, as for the self taught lessons, only thing u really miss out is to be able to ask and get video response from Bobby Chiu himself by taking self taught.
    I feel im personal alright without it, because I can watch others video responses if I want to, and im not a totally new to art, so I can sort of see and compare myself to him were I went wrong, which I might not have been able to when I was worse at art.
    But yeh its hard to know really, if u dont have alot of money, I would still recommend self thaught because u learn alot, every lession is like 1 hour 20 min long give or take, thats when u see himself do assignment and explain it, what he is thinking etc, so u can just rewatch and learn that way, but also u can watch other peoples video response from Bobby Chiu's himself, from those who took the full course.

But than again it might be worse if your new to pay the extra and get to ask and hear from Bobby Chiu himself what he think u need to improve.

hard call, but yeh I have learned quite a few stuff or alot, both im photoshop and techically, But i still have to rewatch everything alot more before I remember it all=9.

I hope I never stop liking environments=9 Here is a mix of different environments and approaches

Attached Images Attached Images          

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UnidColor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you so much for the information! I had been wondering if you still felt like you were learning a lot from the course, and you certainly answered my question.

I can't believe you're not working professionally - your stuff is amazing!

This new batch is awesome. I especially love the buildings with clouds, and the desert scene. I just finished reading Dune for the first time, and your two desert scenes seemed to fit the atmosphere of the story.

--
    Paper Nautilus
    Sketchblog
    CA Sketchbook
    Twitter
    DeviantArt page

If you want to live an interesting life, you're going to spend half of it being terrified.
    -Mary Hollinshead

Thanks
    thank you for sharing, man!
    this is just mindblowing stuff! love how you use colors. do you look up at refs for colour chioces or is it just an intuitive process? cos i suffer from lack of colour practice big times.
    anyway, cheers, this is great.

Thanks
    The details, colour, and values.
    Turn ons

Brilliant stuff mate!

Thanks
    stunning work! and yeah thx for the information! i never even knew there was a possibility for anything else then the full course! great to know! keep rockin!

Thanks
    Cacodaemonia Yeh, if I would have done it earlier I would probably learned alot more ofcourse, but yeh for me picking up as mutch stuff as u can is sort of fun and important, and there was definitly both small and big stuff I learned from it, and some I already knew ofcourse.

Cheers for your comment aswell! mutch appreciated.

truenorth Thanks alot!, I didnt use any color reference for them, but yeh I really should use it more often, most of the times I just go with what looks right, but there have been many times I do have to use reference,
    often when I paint water or anything that I can have a hard time understanding, like tropical water, u know, green water which shift into blue and other colors, I definitly get reference for those stuff, anything I dont understand, but yeh I do sometimes look at the colorwheel too, it can help alot with choosing additional colors.

For example the pyramid temple thingy I did on page 2 in my sketchbook (at the bottom), there was alot of blue, so I decided to make the sand abit more orangy, almost opposite of the colorwheel, I did some jungle with alot of green with contrast of red/yellows.
    And the purple sky with orange/golden object reaching up in the sky.
    I guess that comes from color theory, in not super good at it, but its a combination with what looks good and theory.

I started painting with colors right from the beginning when I entered digital paintings, or rather I colored naruto manga pages:7. so I sort of suck at coloring from black and white, or paint in black and white in general.

and many times I have to change the colors and adjust them with whatever trick photoshop has, color balance, curvse, , and sometimes I get it right from the beginning, I guess it all comes down to how clear you vision is before u start to paint. Because when I dont know what I wanna paint I end up chaning colors and everything in the process, so I try to practice imagen what and how it should look before I paint these days, not easy=9 gets better with time I guess.

Anyway starting with the sky is also I think an important step in painting, it sort of set the mod for the rest of the picture, because a large part of colors in nature is that they have a cool and a warm version, shadow vs light.
    so if u have the sky color and u know the color of the lightsource, its mutch easier to know were u want to make a color warmer or cooler.

sometimes I have too little of the warm vs cool concept, so I change it with masks and adjustments layers in photoshop.

But yeh I try to look around me all the time when Im outside and try to understand colors better everyday=).

dwardo Cheers glad u liked them!=)

Josef K Thanks! your welcome. yeh the self thaught is alot cheaper, but also u can start it whenever u have time, u can read more about it on their school page!

Anyway here is some photo studies, the first one is sort of meh, boring picture.

I was focusing on not detailing, I feel like im abit
    too mutch about rendering and I sort of wanna get away from it, or atleast just render the focal points and maybe keep the rest abit loose.

so yeh more stuff will be coming up soon! I hope.

Thanks
    man always a pleasure to drop by your sketchbook. kudos on the fact that you used to color manga pages.

-Frank

Portfolio

SSG:
    -+--+--+--+-

Thanks
    Oooooo, very nice couple of posts. The insights on skies and colour were very interesting and helpful to hear. and Mushrooms!!!!! Why to mushrooms seem to be such popular subject matter do you thing? Most people, when happening upon one in real life, like in their lawns, or eating them, or whatever, think they are a bit gross and kinda ugly, unless you get the pretty speckly types. Hmmmm... anywhoooo.. Those lessons seem to have paid off bit time!

Some things that bothered me: Something just seems off about the first in post 59 though. I just pass by it a couple of times and it keeps catching my eye. I think it's because the things in the building-thing are reflecting very smoothly of of what, by texture, seems to be dried, hard dirt, but by reflection seems to be a glassy, smooth surface. It also seems to be in the middle of a wet, mildly swampy place, so why would there be dried dirt? Actually on second look much closer look, is it cracked ground under a puddle of very clear water? Hmmmm... maybe it's just reading wrong to me.

The and ripples don't follow the shape of the hills of sand in pic 3, of post 64. The ripples don't match from place to place as well, which to me, seems to be quite confusing. Patchy, different shapes of waves etc. I know doing sand is painfully hard though, and it is a good job. Feel free to ignore me if you want, as usual... Amazing work altogether.

Oh, and thanks for stopping by my sb. and sorry for the novel.

Thanks
    Alm0st Cheers Frank! Im glad u think so=), yeh coloring manga pages, was a good way to learn photoshop, got used to work in layers which is a useful habbit, but also practicing colors and stuff, tho the drawbacks are, I couldn't draw anything on my own for shit:9, I still feel that way but yeh, just gotta keep practicing.

Pixie Trick Cheers Pixie =), yeh I belive Whit Brachna mentioned about beginning with sky or the atmosphere, but yeh Bob ross did it too, mainly because thats how hes oil techniques needed to be done, but I think it was some logic behind it:9.

I just like mushrooms, they are crazy looking, but I think mainly because I played world of warcraft, quite alot of mushrooms there.

yeh the jungle environment with the house with some glowing fire or something inside of it, there is not mutch logic behind it, its suppose to be sort of dried surface there, however I just felt like adding a hint of some reflections for no particular reason, It didnt really make sense how mutch of the fire glow were bounced down on the ground in the first place, it was more just to make the feeling over the picture to stand out more, so I just went for something that maybe would look cool instead of realism and made it reflective, maybe it was so hot it started to reflect, not sure if that can happen tho:9.

The sand picture yeh, not mutch to say about that, well I was being abit sloppy with it, its just some textures I patched over to enchant the sand feeling without spending too mutch time drawing it, abit conceptartish, but it could definitly need some work

Thanks.

Anyway its getting late now im gonna wake up early, so I will just post these,

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  476.1 KB
    Started this one today, so I might be able to finish it tomorrow, its alot of work left to go .
    Name:  71.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  343.4 KB

Name:  72.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  274.6 KB

Name:  73.jpg
Views: 1240
Size:  334.1 KB

Thanks
    Astounding. I never get tired of watching your stuff.
    What about making some tutorials?

Thanks
    Really nice lighting situations in the 2nd and 4th images.

--
    Paper Nautilus
    Sketchblog
    CA Sketchbook
    Twitter
    DeviantArt page

-Mary Hollinshead

Thanks
    man, those two posts rock! actually i like this kinda sloppy style, it's somehow easy to look at=) great colors again and yeah, you somehow make it look solid when you have just the focal point rendered. cool stuff!

and thanks a lot for the reply, you made it much clearer. yeah, i think my problem also is often times im not sure what direction to go with my pieces, and its hard to imagine the final result sometimes. great you mentioned that, i somehow couldnt think it affected the result that much o.O

ok, cheers man, keep rocking!

Thanks
    It never ceases to amaze me just how frequently I run across someone I've never seen before, who seemingly effortlessly kicks my ass.

I don't know whether to be inspired or depressed.

I have only one question - are you using brushes of your own creation, or did you download them from somewhere?

Thanks and cheers mate.

Thanks
    Those last ones is so great. When i looked at those, i immediately relaxed. Nice colors and mood. Did you use photo reference for those last ones or you use reference that in your mind? Sorry if that question is repeating.

Thanks
    I'm pretty amazed at your control in your environments. Can you tell us how you got to this point? What you started off doing and what tutorials you looked at. What kind of studies you did? It seems as if you made a lot progress on environments in a short amount of time.

Thanks
    your stuff is awesome keep posting loving it

Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your comments! lovely and appreciated!

unfortune its abit late now 2.15 in the morning so I will just post an update of this and head of to bad so I dont wake up too late tomorrow.

I will make sure to answer on all the comments when I have time, hopefully next update.

Anyway for the picture, well I was saying it was suppose to be done today, but it seems two days of work is not enough:7, there is just so mutch i can add and im gonna do it, so atleast two days more work on this guy.

Plus im gonna do it like super detailed so its gonna be like hopefully something u spend more than 10 seconds to look at when finished, sort of like a "WoW" feeling when u see it, I might fail at it tho, who knows.

And yeh I do have to add a character, it would be ridiculus if he fought a wall of stone:9, alot of stuff is still rather "incomplete".

have a nice day anyway!

Thanks
    im already starting to get that "WOW" factor cant wait to see how it turns out really cool idea

Thanks
    revenebo Thanks alot, well I will probably do one someday :7 I will just need to practice some more hah.
    Cacodaemonia Im superglad u liked them
    truenorth Heh thanks alot! yeh I dig the lose style but at the same time I im so used rendering its hard not too).

Yeh well, im not sure how mutch "thinking of what u wanna paint before u paint it" really helps or how mutch different it does, but its good to have as clear vision of you want to paint before u start it, maybe find some reference for the subject, so less scribbling around, you probably get better at it the more you practice it too.

The reason I try to do it, is because I have seen a few other artist also trying to do that. I think bob ross said he did the same, it was some sort of paintings he did just in his head for himself before he started out with his painting.

I could imagen, trying to feel the mod of the picture, imagen yourself standing there and sort of feel the picture is also good to do, anywayz its alot to art, mutch to speak about.

Two Listen Thanks alot! well I think its fairly common, I feel the same alot, often I get depressed, but It sort of kicks me to work abit harder for a short time:7.

anyway at the same time I try to not care too mutch about them, and instead trying to work as hard as I can for "myself", I try to not compete nor be obsessed about other progress, and as long as I enjoy studying art, painting it and I keep learning, there is nothing esle I wish for, I feel life is
    abit too short to be worry about other peoples art, I could imagen when im close to death, I wouldn't really care if I became better than anyone nor would I care if someone else were better than me, aslong as I enjoyed doing it.

But anyway just keep practicing, I guess it depend on personality, but for me sometimes its good to someone who just owns you, makes me not slack, but too mutch and I get depressed i guess.

As for brushes, most of them I made, but I also use some of Whit Brachna's brushes.

Diverse Thanks!, yeh I used some reference on the last one, but I changed the picture so mutch because It didnt turn out as wanted it, it barly resembles the reference at all, else the other ones was fairly simple so I didnt use any reference. Exept for the big fire monster, alot of reference for that one.

tandy1000 Thanks alot, well hm, thats a hard question, im not sure if I have an exact answer, but I have been watching alot of dvds like Whit Brachna's, dylan cole's from , ryan churchs ones, there are many other ones too, but I think they all are from MB and .

for practice I have been doing these small environments I have been posting on this sketchbook, but I also been doing more rendered ones earlier for EoW's, and alot of it comes downs getting experience just doing it, it makes u mort confortable and dare to experiement more, but I do some enviroments I try to push to my limits, I do that quite often in general, often they take quite a few days of struggle and hard work to do, but I think I learn quite alot from them.

and just general art stuff, color theory, composition, drawing skills, brushes and whatever=7, it all adds up little by little.

Watching other people art too is a good one, to see how they paint enviroments, it can be simple stuff like how some people paint rocks.
    Also I observe light, colors shadows and stuff alot in general when im outside chilling outside in the sun.

darknight Thanks alot im glad u liked them! will do.
    Hayds33 Cheer thanks alot, yeh been working on it alot today too, is not as big changes but alot of just detailing etc. solving issues.

So yeh today progress, tomorrow I will check if there is stuff I dont like and try to fix those.

Last edited by UnidColor; May 9th, 2009 at 09:01 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to UnidColor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    wow your work is so inspiring. i just want to go into PS
    and paint all day now! can;t wait till next batch

Thanks
    juicy Thank you, im glad to have inspired you! and thanks for checking out my stuff.

And yeh here is the final picture, and who knows, I might do some final final tweaks if I find something but yeh its basicly done.. for good.

Last edited by UnidColor; May 10th, 2009 at 09:21 PM.

Thanks
    Final result looks really cool. Damn it is so hot in there

Thanks
    Beautiful. Gorgeous. Nothing more to say.

weeeellllll.... other than: Hee hee... his armpits are fiery ....Random thought. NM

Thanks
    Diverse Thanks alot im glad u liked it!

Pixie Trick Heh yeh=), Thanks alot!

here is some stuff I have been doing, some of it is pretty crap, but they are
    mostly done just for the practice

30. The Following User Says Thank You to UnidColor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great stuff.

"I know the Way, know the Way, know the Way, know the Way" -Achilles' Last Stand

Tutorial: Realistic Perspective Renderings from 2D Line Art
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    The ice in the first one really looks translucent. Love the weird texture and design of the building here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1242810841

--
    Paper Nautilus
    Sketchblog
    CA Sketchbook
    Twitter
    DeviantArt page

-Mary Hollinshead

Thanks
    Thanks alot im glad u like the stuff!

Here is some stuff I have done today in Artrage, first time trying it out, I find it really hard to detail with it, im so used to have opacity on pen pressure and stuff.
    So yeh the two first ones are abit meh, really just lacks focal point and something sharp and intressting to look at, I just sort of gave up.

but I like the program I will keep practicing with it, maybe do life studies with it and keep following it in the newer version 3.0 coming up I guess.

Thanks
    love your scapes! just do everyone a favour and keep em coming!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.