Digital Painting in-progress
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Digital Painting in-progress

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Digital Painting in-progress

eek this is my first time posting here. I'm sort of intimidated, but I figure I might as well take the dive.

This is a piece that I intend to stick in my portfolio for colleges, but I'm still not quite happy with it. I like the direction it's heading, but I feel I need a fresh point of view or two.

So... have at it!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by stickywins; April 1st, 2009 at 02:34 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I like:
    - The style
    - the girls face (esp the red parts)
    - the hands
    -the concept

What I do not like as much:
    - The flat colours in the dress and hair. Try adding subtle shades of blue, purple and yellow to add a new layer of interest. It is just a little too bland atm
    - the cut off treebottoms do not work for me, though they seem to be made like that on purpose. I'd just round them out
    -Composition. The bottom needs more attention, though not too much. Maybe some little snow mounts?

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    welcome to conceptart.

no need to feel intimidated you have a nice painting to show us.

the first thing that i noticed when looking at this was the disproportionate balance of the top half to the bottom half of the image area. on the top you have dark vertical trees supplying a lot of visual weight, whereas the bottom feels empty and sterile in comparison. the composition feels rather straightforward and hints at there being a conceptual reasoning behind the choice for the lower half trailing off into bleak whiteness, but i can't be convinced that it is done with purpose. i do like the idea of it being intentional.

the figure is presented very simply. i like the hands a lot, i feel they have the best use of color in the entire peice. i wish they had a more definite and crisp edge quality to them as i get the most emotional response from their position on the lap. the rest of the figure is obscured by clothing which makes it hard to tell what exactly is going on underneath. as a piece in a portfolio this suggests that you tend to cover up and hide your figures as you are not entirely comfortable in drawing them. i do not know if this is true, but it is how it reads to me.

the elongation and stylization of the face is bothersome, as it is the only real aspect which looks like it may have been intentionally stylized, whereas the rest appears to attempt to portray things naturally. again this almost feels like a stylized mask put over an actual figure to spare you the task of drawing realistically. i think some pose reference will help you more accurately establish that the figure is believably in an environment and isn't just a superimposed body onto a background.

keep in mind i'm not at all bashing stylized or 'non-realistic' work, but merely that i do not feel it is being resolved convincingly enough to pursuade me that you are confident in your strokes.

the painting could use a bit of atmospheric perspective. meaning the trees which are closer are more textured, have more contrast, are more saturated, and in general more detailed. the trees as the receed in space will lose detail and become more neutral and less saturated, and gradually lose texture and contrast, etc. (and tha tone tree right next to her is crooked, be sure to take a step back from your images periodically to see the big picture and how it looks from afar)

i like the subject matter, and i feel it can evoke a lot of emotion, but the mor ei look it over questions begin to arise which aren't answered. is she looking at someone/something? how long has she been there? why doesn't she have tracks leading up to where she is? what type of wooded snow area is this dangerous, magical, familiar, etc?

keep postin' don't be afraid to ask questions, someone always answers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with you, Janos- the clothes could use some touches of colors. I was trying so hard to keep within my color-scheme I think I started washing everything out. And I wasn't paying much attention to the trees, so thanks for pointing that out.

Grief- that unbalance was actually on purpose! But it looks too accidental right now, and from what I gather that's what you're getting from it. I'm not quite sure how to fix that, though.

I think the face might be what was really bothering me. I like her features too much, but the shape itself is too unnatural...? As for the figure, I actually do have an okay sense of anatomy most of the time. The sketch underneath the painting is sort of old, so there are some obvious flaws. Do you think if I did a more thorough job with the clothing folds, it would seem less like masking?

Aha and the ambiguity is intentional. Sometimes I like to tell stories with my pieces, but with this one I definitely wanted there to be ample room for interpretation.

thanks for the comments, guys!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 731 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I like it.

I think I'd paint out the lines. I like the way her fingers and nose are defined by their redness, but the outlines are taking away from the effect. If you were to realize her flesh in subtle, painterly shades of red and everything else in subtle, painterly shades of...mostly blue-white...I think it would have a neat, dreamy quality.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.