How to draw size variation?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: How to draw size variation?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How to draw size variation?

Hi, I've been looking into the human structure and suchlike (mainly through Loomis' books) and I've been wondering how I'd draw different sized people.

Do I vary the entire scale of the person or just change the number of heads that make up the height? Do I alter a few things (Such as leg length) and leave the rest the same? I'm not sure, please help! ^^;

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

FourTonMantis is offline Without vision we will die Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rather ironic that your sig talks about using reference, because the way to draw different sized people is to...draw different sized people. Find reference of people with all different body types and draw from them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FourTonMantis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahahah, oh crap yeah...^^; I was just looking at anatomy books and they never seem to have that particular section. I looked at myself and found out I was ~8.5 heads high, so I suppose I should compare that to others.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's just what I'm getting to in my next batch of notes. You see, it all depends on the style. For cartoonish looks, they lower or higher the head count to make a person look chubbier or thinner. In reality, the head count probably won't change as much as in the cartoons. The count would still probably stay between 6-8 heads (I think there might even be 9-head-tall people out there. You just never know).

But like FTM said when he spotted your oversight, don't hesitate to use references. Take pictures of people with different structures, or if you don't want to seem so nosy, google pictures of people, or... go to the stock accounts in DA. They might have stock photos of different body types you can use to practice on.

Also, as you practice off of real life, take a look at how other artists do it. Take a look at their many drawings of body types and derive notes off of them. Humans learn from each other, it's a natural process.

You know, I seem to know what to say, yet I never think to do what I suggest until I say it. Weird, huh? I think I'll take that stock advise of mine. There has to be some good photos out there to practice on.

------
    Wait... What were we talking about?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The technical aspects are distracting and clouding the more important drivers that should be rythm and character.

You need both though, Working inside out to develop knowledge and understanding. from the bones, muscle, fat skin proportions etc....

Working outdide in to create and apply your knowledge. Start vague and get the big picture pieces right, composition, character, balance, making sure each step is Ok as you get closer to the specifics, landmarks, muscular details, bones etc..

I don't like to create with the bottom up approach, it's boring, doing it ouside in makes it feel like art again. I will do that but you need to remember it's "analytical": To gain short term understanding of your current work and perhaps learn some long term stuff if those stick in memory. It's not really "constructive" as the word get's applied.

This changed my stratagy of learning, getting the bigger chunks right is more important to me at the moment, getting your mannakin's to look proportionate etc, Need to get it perfect before I delf say in what the bones actually look like and all those nitty gritty muscle detail etc. I just noticed, I absorbed a huge amount of anatomy but my mannakin's would still not look perfect the way it should after good dicipline.

Last edited by George Abraham; April 8th, 2009 at 03:42 AM.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 1