my take on a phonex nest ...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: my take on a phonex nest ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my take on a phonex nest ...

ok, so i was bored and thinking about fire, this is what i came out with, its a little rough, and so far all i have realy tried to show has been shade and tone. but tell me what you think, thanks
    also if someone could tell me how to put a thumbnail on the post it would be most apreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    one of the six stickied threads above your post describes how to make your thumbnail show up. Here is the linky: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=129385

I'm not sure, but I think you can click the EDIT button in your multiple duplicate posts and delete the extra ones.

I like the trees and the terrain in your painting. If you want to convey the sense that it is a nest, you may want to build up the nest area with twigs or rocks or phoenix feathers or something. I like it, but to me it just looks like a strange little cave with a fire in it.

Last edited by PsiBug; March 30th, 2009 at 12:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, first of all, nice idea.

I think the moon is distracting too much attention from the phoenix nest. It's way too bright. Also there isn't a whole lot going on in the right side of your painting, so why are you giving it so much space? One could argue that this enforces a feeling of solitude, however I think you're better off without it.

Also I think you should add an actual phoenix. If it wasn't in your thread title I'd have guessed it was a really bright camp fire.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry, but thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that one of the big issues that you'll have with this image is conveying a good sense of space via atmospheric perspective at night.

You may be able to create a more symbolic relationship with the phoenix and it's environment by setting this scene at twilight or dusk. This will give you the advantage of allowing more use of repeating color, a nice contrast between oranges and blues, and a greater range of values to create atmospheric perspective.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the idea.

I'm going to give some comments on the light.
    The left 'yellow' tree seems to stand behind the light source but only has a little yellow on it. I would expect it to be at least half 'lit' by the light.
    Furthermore, I'm not sure about part of the trees lit by the yellow light. I would say it should end a bit higher since light is blocked by the nest. This depends a bit on the size and shape of the source though.
    The white light on those trees is at the right place.

The left 'white' tree (not the one on top of the nest) is lit from the right. The one next to it has light mostly on the left side. This assumes the source is between the trees and focussed like a spotlight. As we know the moon is rather large and far away. So both trees should have about the same amount of light on them, on both edges of them.

Also don't make the light too bright, you are looking at the reflection of light on a somewhat dark surface, not on a mirror.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cheers guys verry helpfull, i will see what i can do tomorow.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.