Art: my demo reel

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: my demo reel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my demo reel

Figured since i just joined i would post a link to my demo reel here so you all can see my work and what I'm about. I've been working in the biz for about 9 years now. Mostly all of this is flash.

http://www.wickedmotion.com/demo.html

-start a revolution.

AnimationSamurai.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a really strong demo, but it showcases your tendency to use snappy motions in a lot of varying situations. Maybe put some more textured actions in there. Not all over the place, but a few shots with more frames and soft accents instead of hard ones would be my suggestion. Also I'm not positive that the fight scene in the beginning is your strongest work, I would keep it in but put it in a little later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    also WELCOME aboard!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Oï… The first sequence doesn’t do you justice compared to the calibre of the work after! *gasp* Harvey birdman (inflash?!)!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the board

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow those are some really interesting responses. I'm really surprised. I wonder if you guys are saying the opening scene isn't as good as whats after is because it's unknown and not on cartoon network. I obviously think it's my strongest work which is why I placed it first and to be honest, it's gotten me every job in the last year. studios love it...guess you digital painters are a different breed! Anyways, thanks for the input. Oh and by the way, just about every birdman episode was done in flash after season 1!

-start a revolution.

AnimationSamurai.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    both of them are prob drunk! =)

the beginning looks good to me (something strange about that hole in the bullet maby?)
    you say "you digital painters..." this is not digital? it has to be digital?

i also find the professor dude and the girl after that interesting, would love to see more of that style.
    i dont look at CN that much so i dont recognize any of this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is no reason to step behind a curtain where we are digital painters and your an animator. I have been animating for awhile, and I don't think your recognizable work should go first. I would have probably just switched the first three shots going 2house-3cowdrivesthroughouse-1hanahabarabanime then harvy. Your work is pretty freaking good man, but this is definitely a place where we post up our work in the hopes of being delicately shattered so that we can cobble ourselves back together (better I hope). So if you weren't expecting crits why post it up? haha, street cred?. Either way youll get both, I think you are one of the first in the industry to crash into our little microchasm and thats nothing short of extremely exciting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no no no its not that i wasn't expecting crits, i just meant that i was surprised by the crits. and its not that im stepping behind a curtain or anything, im just recognizing that this forum is mostly made up of digital painters and illustrators...something i'm trying to get better at, and it really is a different skill, so i figure the illustrator guys have a different way of looking at animation than an animator guy. thanks for the input everybody!

-start a revolution.

AnimationSamurai.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DanielBodinof For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wasn’t drunk (maybe only with work) but perhaps I commented too hastily… It’s probably the style of the animation that influenced me as I wasn’t in “hiring” mode. Very sorry about that DanielBodinof!
    Now it’s your comment that makes me realise I should probably move on and hang out with other animators instead of clinging to previous habits… *slaps forehead*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loved the demo reel. Awesome work. Can't help but feel that flash's atmosphere is limiting you in some ways. The dualism between tweens and frame by frame animation sort of messing with some sequences. Perhaps the best example of what I mean is with that bullet at the beginning. It's tweened forward, but the turning in the air is frame by framed, making it look pretty choppy. It happens less obviously elsewhere. You gotta watch out for that.

Where did you go to school for this stuff? I'm looking into schools right now and am kind of uncertain about where I can get the information I need, because most schools are into 3d right now, not 2d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i went to scad, but back in the day when their 2d dept was crap... i know france has some really amazing 2d schools...like gobelins or whatever its called. really whatever school u go to, in the end its up to you what you get out of it.

as for the choppiness factor, i kinda did that on purpose, im trying to get that japanese animation camera work feel where its all on 3s but still looks cool. anyways, thanks for the input!

-start a revolution.

AnimationSamurai.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.