1 2.04%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

eow 109 the Emerald city of OZ vote please

eow 109 the Emerald city of OZ  vote please

Eow 109 The Emerald City of OZ

Brief

the Emerald city of OZ as described in L.Frank Baum's Books.
    there are 13 books and the description actually changes a bit from book to book so you have a good deal of freedom
    Please do not just give u sback the movie version
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_City

this is a prime opportunity to study transparency and sunlight through glass.. A real challenge, but a real opportunity as well

DUE March 29th 2009

and we're off again!

NO description required, say what you need to say visually.

FOLLOW THE TOPIC.

POST YOUR FINAL HERE THREAD.

SAVE YOUR FILES IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT.
    EOW##_Nickname
    example: "EOW#100_Chaosrocks.jpg"

PLACE THE IMAGE IN A FRAME WITH YOUR NAME/TOPIC

example from CHOW

(you can add CA logo, etc).

Add an icon to you final post
    150 pixels either direction
    PLEASE OUTSIDE HOST THE ICON
    k thx

Last edited by chaosrocks; March 30th, 2009 at 07:12 PM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    (sorry don't know how to outside host an icon) - hope it's ok.

Last edited by Angel Intheuk; March 30th, 2009 at 06:20 AM. Reason: thumb didn't attach

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FINAL

It's not complete but I have no time to work on it more...

Name:  EoW109_Revenebo.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  128.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  eow#109_relic.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  360.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    closed

Sketch book

14. The Following User Says Thank You to chaosrocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 553 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    now that it's closed, should we leave constructive crit here or back in the other thread?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is fine
    the thread isn't closed
    just the entrys

I want to know why Mishkin didn't post final. his/her thumbnails were awesome.

I voted for Relic , becasue his/her image is just elegant.

ashton -- um its not really very emrald cityish not being green or really reading as a city. you really need to establish an under lieing structure that everything fits into for your environment to read as a cohesive scene

UnidColor this is a beautiful rendition and would have been my second choice. Its a bi tindustrial for OZ though as oz is a utopia without grit

Lege1 this is a lovely image, it is a bit reminescent of the approach in the movie but my main suggestion has to do with value adn contrast its all pretty diffuse . lenzflair??

zimfin-- its a long way to the city in this ... which is the topic, and the textures seem to be taking over.. I would have like to see more focus on the city

csears nicely done-- the art nouveau quality of the ornementation is a nice take on it.

Angel Inthuek-- this is a good effort but looks unfinished
    and a bit like you didn't really think it through before you started. the city structure itself is rather nice but it seem sto be caged in the random sketchy liines that cover it.

Revenebo -- there is a sterile architectural rawing quality that in this instance is really working for you. I can't believe how far you have come since you first started posting to EOW\

lkjhgfdsa- OUCH!!!!! too green
    un relieved, un remitting and then green bordered to boot. hard to actually look at it because the entire color range is so super saturated. you could have used some shadows (maybe even red ones) to help define your shapes. at the very least some less saturated areea and some more value scale.

Relic- as I said this is elegant, there are a coupe things I might suggest to tighten up middle ground BG contrastespecially in the area of th eoverhang.
    but really , its a lovely piece

Artiphats hehe you alwasy show us some un usual directions. Sometimes they work better than others. THis doesnt quite read as a city. I keep seeing it as the roots of a grassy meadow seen in miniature LIke Honey I shrunk tDorothy.

Darknight you need some clarity hard liines details to bring forward your focus. this is all a little muddy
    It would make a lovely under painting to punch on to it some contrast and crisp edges

respectfully submitted
    crx

Sketch book

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chaosrocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    chaos I don't know if "sterile" and "rawing" are good things but thank you!! EoW has been a great motivation for me to draw and to make exercise.
    I'm sorry I wasn't able to complete my entry properly. I'm not satisfied at all and I think I'll repaint it from scratch...

This topic was quite difficult IMO both for the scale (a city) and for the characterizing element (emerald).

I'll split my comments in two, the concept side and the art side (i.e. content and form, and how much the image sitcks to the brief).

Relic Content: it's a fine depiction of a city, with its architectural, "historical" and landscape context (and it also looks like Hogwarts! )
    Form: Some minor issues with depth and colors.

Unidcolor Content: you faced what everyone else shunned: representing the city at street level, with people and many details.
    Form: I have some doubts about the yellow/green haze, I don't know if it's enough to make clear that everything is emerald, at this scale some close-up of the material could help. Anyway... it rocks.

darknight Lege1 Form: a little too blurry maybe but scale and atmospheric perspective are quite clear.

lkjhgfdsa the most intersting abstract approach here. Content: could be hard to interpret it as a city.
    Form: the green is a little too bright 8).

artiphats Content: not so abstract but still difficult to see a city in it. Form: I like the glassy and glossy emerald effect!

zimfin Content: as chaosrocks said, a bit more focus on the city, right now we're in a sub-urban park (a nice one...).
    Form: I like the emerald effect in the foreground and I think it makes clear where the green color is coming from. There's no middleground though and there are some perspective issues.

ashton I suggest to check out Levente Peterffy's technique (SamsonReaper here on CA) for the transition from abstract to... not abstract. The point of view is interesting. The image just needs a little bit of patient work to better define shapes and add details.

Angel Intheuk Form: values and saturation don't help to perceive the depth.

csears Nice and has some retro Disney-esque look (in a good way). I see it as something very graphic, something you could make a poster with, so I can't make comments on colors, composition and similar. Just a small note on content: some architectural detail could help understand if that's a gate or the whole city.

And forgive my mistakes with English.

Last edited by revenebo; March 31st, 2009 at 10:47 AM.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to revenebo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments chaos and revenebo.
    Looks like I messed up on this one. Guess I should have got more into the city.

revenebo got my vote. Nice work. I would like to see how it looks completed.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to zimfin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 553 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    this keyboard is not agreeing with me, so forgive the typos. this is all meant to bean helpful (i kinda feel obliged to leave a disclaimer whenever i crit like this...)

ashton--cool shapes, and a good start. but i think it's heavy on the variety and light on the unity. when you have these kinds of details with a lot of variety it can help to tie them together with color or value just to give the viewer's eye a chance to take it all in. right now all the details jump in value a little too much.

unidcolor--i like yours a lot and my vote was a tossup between you and revenebo. i like the atmospheric perspective and mood you're going for, but there are a few compositional changes that ould make your piece super-strong. the biggest one, in my opinion, is just to vary the angles a little more in your perspective. right now the perspective lines, light direction, and curtains and shadows are all almost exactly parallel. this tends to flatten the image, but your atmospheric perspective really saved it. the other suggestion is just to vary the green skyscrapers--right now none of them overlap and they seem too evenly spaced like fenceposts. ...but, that said, very nice atmospheric perspective on it. good control of values too!

lege1e--less soft more hard!!!! i know what you're aiming for with the soft, receding atmospheric perpspective, but it won't look right unless you have the harder shapes underneath it to begin with. another thing to watch is the brush size and shape size when you do use harder edges--right now the only hard shapes are very, very thin. add some more mass to the city with a bigger harder brush and you'll get what you're after.

zimfin--good stuff. my big worry is the perspective on the gazebo in the distance. the roof should be over our eye level and curved the opposite way.

sears, you suck. i agreee you need to show more of the city. but a THANK YOU to chaosrocks for moeving my/yourjunk over here. i didn't have access to the computer with the files on it while i was working somewhere else so i couldn't move it over correctly. ...and i'm such a noob.

angel in the uk---nice start! i think you need to crop it differently or recompose it a little to get the city out of the exact center. or... if you want to keeep the city centered, find a way to change the foreground and background to make it more interesting.

revenebo--you got my vote even though yours is a bit unfinished. i like the google-sketch-up look of the whole thing. i think that's what chaos meant by dry or sterile. just very architectural. it also reads as a kind of anime background which is a nice change from attempts at photorealism, and videogame style environments. that said, the sky needs something in it. either clouds or a skyline of buildings. or you could crop more of the sky off too...

lkghjj...-- i like the way you handled the road. verry interesting rendering. but 2 things i'd change. the most important one is that the buildings need to be leaning "in" toward an imaginary vanishing point in the sky. not coming "out" of a vanishing point in the ground. i think that would help immensely. the other thing is to adjust the color somewhat. if you have a hyper-intense green light, all things take a green hue and intense yellow becomes impossible. in effect, everything becomes very monochromatic. i guess another way to put it is that you won't notice rosy cheeks on a rock star under intense purple light, right? those saturated lights kind of neutralize any smaller color variations. if you want to keep it this saturated, you have to play with value to get your form to read better. otherwise everything is too close in saturation and value to get it to read properly.

relic--very nice work. it has a very whimsical fantasy feel to it. (i appreciate that because i'm too heavy-hearted to do something this light-hearted.) good atmsospheic perspective too. feels like an overcast irish thing almost...

arrtiphats--i like the interesting camera angle. it's good to break out of the mold and compose in a different way. my big crit is just to adjustthe emerald shapes so they read somehow more architecturally instead of too organically.

darknight--good atmosphere, but it needs some cleaner shapes on the architecture to imply detail. i can see where you're going with it, and it could be cool, but it needs a little harder push to dig into the buildings.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ccsears eheheh... I understood chaosrocks' comment, I was just joking about the fact that the image could be sterile yet good. Sadly my image IS cold and technical because I spent too much time on designing and drafting the buldings and none on rendering mood and atmosphere. Being an architect is not always a plus...

Thanks for the comments everybody (and for the votes, I wasn't expecting any...).

Last edited by revenebo; April 1st, 2009 at 07:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Unidcolour - liked the serene quality but still with an industrial feel. The textures and the rendering are just lovely.

Chaos, revenebo,Darknight,ccsears Cheers for the crits guys. my first try at colour landscape in photoshop and learned alot. Thanks for the good advice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My favourites are Unidcolor's and renevebo's for their concepts, but I voted for Unidcolor in the end becuase it feels very finished and well executed. I like your middle eastern city concept, and the emerald smoke pipe things. Subtle but noticable. Good job on that.

ashton-I'm not sure if you're going for the abstract look on this one, but I can't tell it's Emerald city. It would be good to look for reference and come up with a concept first before diving head on without knowing what you're doing sometimes, just to have an idea in your head.

Lege1- Really nice. Very nice colors but the scale feels a little off, due to the perspective, making dorothy look kinda big. Try also adding more hard edges here and there cuz right now eveyrything feels a little blurry.

zimfin- pretty good concept man. I like your oriental take on it.

csears - really dramatic piece.

Angel Inthuek-- It still feels unifinished but I guess it's a pretty good start. The piece is also a little too centralized for my taste.. Maybe moving it to the side a little. Try thumbnailing to get a rough idea for compositions.

Revenebo -- Really nice piece man. I love the clean linework of this piece. Eventhough the emerald is played down it still reads very well as emerald city. Good job!

lkjhgfdsa- I think you need to desaturate some areas in this piece, or play with the value. Everything is at the same saturation and value that I don't know where to look.

Relic- Well composed and very nice mood in this piece. I really like it but it still feels a little muddy in some areas.

Artiphats -pretty cool funky shapes there. Nice thinking out of the box. But like most comments, it looks more like a part of a forest than an actual city though.

Darknight - It still feels incomplete, and doesn't really read as emerald city. There's too much soft edges so it's really hard to see form or silhouttes. Try using sharper edges and maybe finishing up a certain area so we can get a sort of feel how the city looks like.

Overall, great job everyone!

"Everything you draw has a chance of becoming a masterpiece, so put your all into everything you draw."

SKETCHBOOK
    Blog

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zeo-x For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.