Manga Fusion style references?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Manga Fusion style references?

First of all: I don't know if this is the right place to post this. If not; pls move it or say me where to put it and I'll post it there.

I've lend the art book:Drawing Cutting Edge Fusion: American Comics with a Manga Influence from Chris Hart from the local library.
    I like some parts of the style and would like some references as well.
    Anyone know any comics/drawings with the Manga Fusion style?

-Tom

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't read that book but the first comic company that I thought of which "fuses" the western way of comic making and manga is Udon Comics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    chris hart?? hahaha dont even bother dude.. and yes udon has the best manga style artist done by the west without being too japanese in the biz...

chris hart is a hack.. he has so many stupid books being bought by ignorant children.. serioulsy he has a dumbass book on how to draw chibis with an ugly ass chibi drawn on the cover..

i hate these god dam trend of american artist.. hashing out crappy ass art books based on manga just to cash in on the trend.. and suck at it.

anime looks easy but hard to get right.. well as good as artist from japan since they are ingulfed in it...

why would u want to learn from a hack anyway, go find some real manga artist and learn from them.. sheesh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While I disagree with the way Riceface said it, he does have a bit of a point in that the best place to learn manga style would be from a manga artist. Also that you must understand elements of the style and what they mean (I would reference the early seasons of Teen Titans and that girl spy show CN had for not doing it well). However, looking up something like Avatar, it is possible with lots of hard work to use those elements well (especially the third season).

I think it would be also helpful to find western, and also the artists working at Udon. The best thing you can do is to understand the elements of all three styles while working them into your own, if that is what you wish to do. As for artists, http://ludolullabi.blogspot.com/ has elements of manga in his work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand what you guys mean, but I still like his book. Might be because I find it hard to find a good reference to study Manga from. Most you tube videos don't really show what I'm looking for and same is for most tutorials you find around the web.

If someone knows a good one, feel free to post. Cause I do like manga but won't copy it, I will only take some nice elements of it and try to create my own style that way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LosPescados View Post
    Might be because I find it hard to find a good reference to study Manga from.

If someone knows a good one, feel free to post. Cause I do like manga but won't copy it, I will only take some nice elements of it and try to create my own style that way.
    I'm not sure if I understand this. The best reference to study manga from is actual manga as well as excellent manga-inspired work. If you mean good tutorials, then I can agree with you, though I do not believe a style as stylized as manga will ever have one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My main problem with drawing manga is, that the eyes look to "soft", I want the eyes like you find in rosario+vampaia, at the vampire. The mean look.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following

10. The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sarcasm hurts my head. It would have been more efficient to say "learn the basics, here is a good book". Again, not the best way to say it, but Grief is correct about learning the basics. Any serious artist, manga or western, will learn the basics, then adapt style and anatomy to their own needs.

I feel like a translator today. -.-

Thanks
    Thanked 2,165 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ...My copy of Bridgman feels so old fashioned now.

God forbid they make Loomis's "Figure Drawing XTREME: Draw Like a Bat Out of Hell"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    +1 to grief thats hilarious

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the thing. Actual manga artists (manga-ka) sometimes have artistic training, sometimes not. But the overall trend with them seems to be that they read a lot of manga, imitate their favorite artists' style or styles, and eventually create enough differences that they create a style of their own.

If you want a certain look to your characters, all you need to do then is pick your influences until you reach a combination that is the look you want. If you like eyes from one manga use those, and combine it with a different way of drawing hair or something. It's rough, but it's how a lot of people start out and as long as you do some refining, it won't be too much of a problem. Toss in some life drawing and studies, and you should come up with what you want while still being unique to yourself.

While manga/anime does have certain stylistic trends, these vary very widely. Consider that "manga" includes everything from "Doraemon" to "Death Note." Don't feel like you have to stick to one look to make it "anime." There's plenty to choose from.

In short, what the others have said. Go to your nearest bookstore and start browsing manga, and you'll get plenty of study.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    when i started out drawing in manga style...i also tought it looked easy and all but i also spended HOURS day in day out studying every manga image i could get my hands on and noticed that in many cases if you cover the faces with your hand, everything else like the bodies and environments are very realistic and accurate. manga is a hard style to master and even harder to get your own style in it but it is possible if you like it enough

but you have internet...why not look around on something like deviantart? or type in " anime/manga galleries" on google...there should be plenty of examples around.

my own style is a big mix of like number of 8-10 artists that i like and my own feelings so it is a big mix up hahaha but i like it. i am still learning thou

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonika View Post
    i also thought it looked easy\
    Doesn't everything in life look easy until you try it or develop it. Especially when your older!

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and some things that look hard turn out to be easier than you tought

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want to understand manga, read it and analyze it. Buying that book is going to be as much help as listening to Mark Crilley's expert tutorials.

www.onemanga.com

Read stuff like Hello Baby, Vagabond, Tegami Bachi, Real and the likes. You'll learn a lot more than reading Naruto/Bleach. But, if you have to, read the earlier chapters (of Naruto, specifically).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man i saw some more how to anime books by more sorry ass american "mangaka" its like these publishers are just getting people straight off deviant....

and that benn dunn dude who did the ninja highschool.... how frakin ugly is that? it would be laughed at and banned in japan...

im tired of these people, it makes me think if i submit something i would actually get in

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well the influences of Manga run far deeper than just slapping some big ass eyes and whirling eyelashes on a face. You have to take into account the main art genre of Japan over the last few centuries, that being Ukiyo-e that's set the template for many succeeding art movements like Impressionism (If you go to the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam you'll see various studies by Van Gogh of the woodcuts he'd bought), not to mention Manga itself.

The one person who actually started Manga and gave it it's name was the famous Ukiyo-e artist Hokusai, whose book 'Manga' (which translates to 'Funny Random Pictures') which was an anatomy book for aspiring artists, and to show how an experienced artist drew humans in certain poses.

The 'style' that became Manga as we know it, started with Osamu Tezuka who drew influence from Disney's visual flair, along with American superhero comics (i.e. there's alot of Western influence in Manga) and decided to attempt making his comics like films. (That being that the visual element took priority over the dialogue in relation to telling a narrative) And as Manga grew, it splintered and evolved to cater for all forms of audiences.

If you want to find the most prominent western artists who're influenced by Manga today you only have to look at work by Frank Miller (who takes influence from 'Lone Wolf and Cub') or Jamie Hewlett.

My sketchbook, if you really want to see it...

"Picasso is a painter, so am I;... Picasso is Spanish, so am I; Picasso is a communist, neither am I." - Salvador Dali

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kagemusha22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by riceface View Post
    man i saw some more how to anime books by more sorry ass american "mangaka" its like these publishers are just getting people straight off deviant....

THOSE DAMN YANQUI DEVILS!

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I personally think the koreans have really high quality anime art.. its realistic and much more detailed. I think those have influenced me more then the japanese. Heres a drawing I did today.. Its manga inspired but I try to make it my own style..

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Korean comics are called Manwha, and Chinese comics are called Manhua.

My sketchbook, if you really want to see it...

"Picasso is a painter, so am I;... Picasso is Spanish, so am I; Picasso is a communist, neither am I." - Salvador Dali

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wouldn't someone like Joe Madureira be a fusion style artist? maybe even J. Scott Campbell. Shrug, I don't really know how specific the term is...good luck tho

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thnx for the replies, I'm currently drawing a lot from every manga I can get my hands on. Also I watch some and when I see a nice frame I draw it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.seangordonmurphy.com/

^Some good stuff there!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.