Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Manga Fusion style references?

Thanks

Manga Fusion style references?

First of all: I don't know if this is the right place to post this. If not; pls move it or say me where to put it and I'll post it there.

I've lend the art book:Drawing Cutting Edge Fusion: American Comics with a Manga Influence from Chris Hart from the local library.
    I like some parts of the style and would like some references as well.
    Anyone know any comics/drawings with the Manga Fusion style?

-Tom
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I haven't read that book but the first comic company that I thought of which "fuses" the western way of comic making and manga is Udon Comics.

Thanks
    chris hart?? hahaha dont even bother dude.. and yes udon has the best manga style artist done by the west without being too japanese in the biz...

chris hart is a hack.. he has so many stupid books being bought by ignorant children.. serioulsy he has a dumbass book on how to draw chibis with an ugly ass chibi drawn on the cover..

i hate these god dam trend of american artist.. hashing out crappy ass art books based on manga just to cash in on the trend.. and suck at it.

anime looks easy but hard to get right.. well as good as artist from japan since they are ingulfed in it...

why would u want to learn from a hack anyway, go find some real manga artist and learn from them.. sheesh

Thanks
    While I disagree with the way Riceface said it, he does have a bit of a point in that the best place to learn manga style would be from a manga artist. Also that you must understand elements of the style and what they mean (I would reference the early seasons of Teen Titans and that girl spy show CN had for not doing it well). However, looking up something like Avatar, it is possible with lots of hard work to use those elements well (especially the third season).

I think it would be also helpful to find western, and also the artists working at Udon. The best thing you can do is to understand the elements of all three styles while working them into your own, if that is what you wish to do. As for artists, http://ludolullabi.blogspot.com/ has elements of manga in his work.

Thanks
    I understand what you guys mean, but I still like his book. Might be because I find it hard to find a good reference to study Manga from. Most you tube videos don't really show what I'm looking for and same is for most tutorials you find around the web.

If someone knows a good one, feel free to post. Cause I do like manga but won't copy it, I will only take some nice elements of it and try to create my own style that way.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LosPescados View Post
    Might be because I find it hard to find a good reference to study Manga from.

If someone knows a good one, feel free to post. Cause I do like manga but won't copy it, I will only take some nice elements of it and try to create my own style that way.
    I'm not sure if I understand this. The best reference to study manga from is actual manga as well as excellent manga-inspired work. If you mean good tutorials, then I can agree with you, though I do not believe a style as stylized as manga will ever have one.

Thanks
    My main problem with drawing manga is, that the eyes look to "soft", I want the eyes like you find in rosario+vampaia, at the vampire. The mean look.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 625 Posts

10. The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    sarcasm hurts my head. It would have been more efficient to say "learn the basics, here is a good book". Again, not the best way to say it, but Grief is correct about learning the basics. Any serious artist, manga or western, will learn the basics, then adapt style and anatomy to their own needs.

I feel like a translator today. -.-

Thanks
    Thanked 2,174 Times in 754 Posts
    ...My copy of Bridgman feels so old fashioned now.

God forbid they make Loomis's "Figure Drawing XTREME: Draw Like a Bat Out of Hell"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    +1 to grief thats hilarious

Thanks
    Here's the thing. Actual manga artists (manga-ka) sometimes have artistic training, sometimes not. But the overall trend with them seems to be that they read a lot of manga, imitate their favorite artists' style or styles, and eventually create enough differences that they create a style of their own.

If you want a certain look to your characters, all you need to do then is pick your influences until you reach a combination that is the look you want. If you like eyes from one manga use those, and combine it with a different way of drawing hair or something. It's rough, but it's how a lot of people start out and as long as you do some refining, it won't be too much of a problem. Toss in some life drawing and studies, and you should come up with what you want while still being unique to yourself.

While manga/anime does have certain stylistic trends, these vary very widely. Consider that "manga" includes everything from "Doraemon" to "Death Note." Don't feel like you have to stick to one look to make it "anime." There's plenty to choose from.

In short, what the others have said. Go to your nearest bookstore and start browsing manga, and you'll get plenty of study.

Thanks
    when i started out drawing in manga style...i also tought it looked easy and all but i also spended HOURS day in day out studying every manga image i could get my hands on and noticed that in many cases if you cover the faces with your hand, everything else like the bodies and environments are very realistic and accurate. manga is a hard style to master and even harder to get your own style in it but it is possible if you like it enough

but you have internet...why not look around on something like deviantart? or type in " anime/manga galleries" on google...there should be plenty of examples around.

my own style is a big mix of like number of 8-10 artists that i like and my own feelings so it is a big mix up hahaha but i like it. i am still learning thou

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast