Digital pen? I can't afford a Wacom.

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Digital pen? I can't afford a Wacom.

This is a total newb question. Is there a digital pen that connects to your computer like a mouse that you can use to draw with instead of the mouse?

I can't afford a Wacom tablet and drawing with this mouse is NOT acceptable.

I am downloading Painter 11 now. I haven't ever used that program before. All I got is Paintshop Pro 6. I want to try digital art right now I work with acrylic paint.

:-)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While I've never tried it myself (I've only used Wacom ), I hear Genius isn't a bad alternative to Wacom tablets

http://painting.about.com/od/digital...usMousePen.htm

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by anthro-trees View Post
    I can't afford a Wacom tablet and drawing with this mouse is NOT acceptable.
    Better save up then. To me a tablet is like saying you want a computer without having a monitor, or viewing device. Because if you want to use Painter and be taken seriously, it costs more than a Wacom (unless you're purchasing the Acad edition). So hearing you say you can't afford a Wacom but you want to use Painter? You only have it for 30 days, That is not to say you can't do digital art without a tablet, but in the case of Painter it's pretty much a necessity.

There are other affordable art programs out there by the way and if you're doing this the responsible way, you could try getting something like Open Canvas 1.1 which is abandonware/freeware Easy Paint Tool Sai for 60 bucks or Art Rage for 25.

Put your money down instead of buying video games towards a tablet. Since a lot of games that play on xbox360 ps3 wii...etc average around 50 dollars, not buying 3-4 of those games can either get a a nice starter bamboo tablet from wacom, or a small or older intuos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I doubt anyone knows what every tablet is like to work with. I know I like my Wacom but I really don't know what else you might find.

I can't think of another company with as much experience or single focus on tablets though.

Let us know what you settle on.

Sigurd

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just got Artrage on a DVD from ImagineFX magazine. Damn that is an expensive mag. But freaking awesome. I bought a copy off ebay.

At any rate, I don't play video games, don't know why I had to say that but I did.

I'll think of something.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by anthro-trees View Post
    I just got Artrage on a DVD from ImagineFX magazine. Damn that is an expensive mag. But freaking awesome. I bought a copy off ebay.

At any rate, I don't play video games, don't know why I had to say that but I did.

I'll think of something.

That's fine, these days I have to say it because a lot of young artists (hobbyists) play video games but say a tablet is too expensive. Depends on the tablet, Wacom Graphires may still be out there on ebay at a less expensive cost, or an older intuos. Bamboo and Bamboo fun are hobby tablets you could use until you can save up for an intuos. I consider the tablet a more necessary piece of an equipment like a monitor, or a hard drive if I'm going to do art. I've used a mouse for years before moving to a tablet on Photoshop. Painter, I just couldn't get the effects I wanted without a tablet.

The only thing to beware on ebay for tablets is to make sure it includes the pen. Replacing the pen is not a deal and can be costly. Make sure it doesn't have scratches or a messed up usb cord.

The other thing for deals on ebay in terms of software, don't get the Painter CDs they put on ebay saying it's "cheap" (40 dollars) because it doesn't include a box. Those are just copies/bootlegs. Painter Download versions are only like a 30 dollar difference than the box version, so the "no box" thing on ebay is a scam.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Start saving up, man. Medium sized Bamboo Fun is a good starter. I bought mine a year ago and I haven't regret it. And now you can buy it on Amazon for less than 170 $. Believe me, man, that's a bargain price.

"Try again, fail again,
    fail better!"
    Samuel Beckett
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you can save money for Wacom, there is no better choice...

If you can't....Please, Don't limit yourself because you can't buy the best one!

I use cheap 50$ Genius Mousepen 8x6 with 1024 level pressure, tilt and 200RPS! ... Wacom is nearly double price in my country and there is no tech-support here!

Best cheap Brands = GENIUS, P-ACTIVE and UC-LOGIC
    (All Vista Compatible, All 64-bit support, All Optimized for Corel Painter, Photoshop and OpenCanvas)

Genius and P-Active, Both use UC-Logic Technology, you can use UC-logic Drivers for Genius and P-Active...

They need battery for pen...don't worry...You have to change battery twice per month (2$!), and this battery don't make pen so heavier...(at least not heavier than Mechanical Pencil!)

Genius Pros: You get 1024 level pressure, tilt and 200 RPS very cheap
    Genius Cons: Pen is not precisely as Wacom pen, sometimes lagging, You don't have pressure sensitivity in Windows Vista in Art Rage 2 and Zbrush 3.1...

Believe me or not, They are just tools, nothing more...

...CGS Award-winning...Kerem Beyit Art with Photoshop and UC-logic 8x6...You want more?...come on...
    http://www.theartofkerembeyit.com

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sketchfreak; April 3rd, 2009 at 05:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    start w/ A6 size first... u need to get use to it

im using ituos A4 size n i tell u, i felt like a retard, coz im still not use to it..
    so i set the pressure area smaller.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel you bro.

Blabbing about features and stuff aint going to make it more affordable. It's easy to assume the rest of the world have it the same way you do. Their hurdles might be your crocodile invested rivers.
    Mag's are also expensive here but ImagineFX is just worth while with a touch of insanity once a month. I think subscribing will make it better.

I got a Manhattan and I'm still happy. I took it over the genius because it got somewhat a better rating and feedback abroad and it has a lifetime warrantee. There are a few whiner's comments about the genius about fickle stuff and a few serious stuff. There are fewer comments about manhattan but they are positive and I got the magic word "fun" instead of "frustration" that means it does what it's supposed to do and the brain, she's learning something new. Scan youtube for home reviews.

The Genius looks cool and I get sceptical with cheap products that get flashy and if it breaks you have to buy a new one and they don't seem to sell nibs, replacement pens etc. Maybe they do but I havn't seen it offered.

You can buy replacement parts/consumables for a manhattan. They gave me three extra nibs and I havn't made much of a wear yet on the first one so it's kinda cool.
    Their site also had CS4 bug fix drivers even before CS4 was released so I think they are a bit more "awake" in the world.

By the time you have the money for a wakom or when you really ever feel you need one the original bucks you spent will be long forgotten.

What I am glad about is having gone for the 8x6", A4 would have been to bulky and smaller would have been to crammed. I don't think you need screen to tablet matching that much as you either work zoomed or unzoomed and your stokes rarely go accross everything at once, maybe if you work in fullscreen mode or in artrage or scetchpad and even if you want to stroke across your whole piece it's not an issue. The wide feature seems more like a feature to make people go OOOH, but it's not required and if you work in photoshop your stuff is usually windowed and your canvas might not be screen dimentions either, unless you are doing wallpaper desighn. It was more important that it fits on my desk and I think that was the bottom line I got everywhere. It replaced the mousepad.

What I did miss though is that manhattan does not have tilt, the tilt they refer to is that the pen and pressure functions undisturbed as it should even at 60 degree angles. Neither the bamboo, Genius or the manhattan support digital tilt effects. This only comes in from the Intuos and up. From what you can see it's not a train smash and I don't really see the need for it. It's a bit of a leap spending the extra K's for tilt alone. If you want to go bamboo go for the medium size instead.

I think Wakom need competitors so the underdogs need support as they have that market leader exponential price liberty effect that needs to come down somehow.
    It's like when a new playstation are just released and the price is insane, accept they are stuck there and don't come down after a while.

Last edited by George Abraham; April 6th, 2009 at 11:04 AM.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I went to wakom's site, I dunno if it's just the exchange rate but things calculate to something better. Still not an easy hurdle but a bit better.

And the intuos4 is at a good starting price, I thought they would have pumped that sucker at the onset.

I was thinking. How about someone here sell you thier old intuos3 so they can buy an Intuos4?

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    on ebay i have gotten 3 wacom tablets: a 9X12 that works great on my PC for $20!!! won't work on my iMac though.

the first one: the smallest 4X5 i think, intuos pad, loved it, still works for $50 on ebay in 2000.

the last one was my travel one that i use on my iMac right now until i can afford a bigger one on ebay: 4X5 plug and play graphis pad. works great, not as great as my other two, but VERY good and VERY servicable... $32 on ebay new in box.

Half of the failures in life come from pulling one's horse when he is leaping.
    Thomas Hood

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I strongly suggest you don't get painter without a tablet. If you need something a little cheaper, check out Wacom's bamboo series. It's not an Inuos 4, but they're still pretty good and very affordable.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm playing with a Trust tablet and Gimp. The tablet cost around £40 complete with pen. Gimp is free. Why pay top dollar if you're not sure the medium will suit you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Well I'm also couldn't effort but wacom (and still on my first wish list if someday i can effort to buy it ) also , but any way I use Genius G-pen 450 ( I bough it from someone garage sale though ) and most of my drawing are using Painter soft and do some editing using CS2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty inexpensive little wacom bamboo:
    WACOM MTE450 5.8" x 3.7" Active Area USB Bamboo Pen Tablet currently $69.99 at newegg.com

Definitely keep an eye on ebay for used tablets.
    If you can afford to bid at least about $25-$50 you may get lucky.

I see several wacom tablets (bamboo, graphire, intuos) with bidding starting at under $10 US

don't be afraid to place some low bids!

just be sure to read the product description and be certain you are bidding on a tablet+all accessories. You wouldn't want to accidentally buy just a pen or a carrying case by mistake.

good luck

Last edited by PsiBug; April 15th, 2009 at 01:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YEah, WACOM should have a "Lease to Own" program.

I went with WACOM but not until after I bought an AIPTek tablet which didn't suck, but the WACOM is much better.

You don't have to get a big tablet but the smallest are confining. A 6" x 8" is pretty good. I originally thought for it to be fully intuitive the size had to match the screen but this reallly in not the case.

Do some internet searches for digital tablets.

The very best thing to do is save up for what you want and be preparred to quick-buy it when it goes on sale. I got my WACOM for more than a hundred dollars off because of a price mis-mark and the store honored the advertised price.

Sometimes good deals happen in the way of bundles.

Be patient, keep your eyes open, and prepare yourself to take advantage of a good deal.

Peace, Love and Harmony... I could never get them all into bed at the same time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

try i-pen

hy , i just found a pen without a tablet that is acting like a mouse .Just type i-pen on google and you will find it.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.