Sketchbook: The "Can I have another fiver?" sketchbook

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 395 Posts
    Follows
    Following

The "Can I have another fiver?" sketchbook

Last edited by PxelSlayer; February 20th, 2011 at 02:58 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, according to what you said is your objective, the only thing i can say is "draw", draw everyday , everything you see, train your eyes to see through material things, how things work and make a lot of studies from reference (they will stack up in your knoledge of art), go to museum and do not forget any aspect of what can be called art that way your drawing skill and creativity shall improve.
    (those are not advises from the pretending artist i am but from masters)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wheeee, a first reply!
    Thanks, Feil Magnus! That is an excellent advice, and I am going to shift my whole perspective and follow it. Till now I was convinced that everything I did HAD TO BE pretty and stylish, even my quick sketches and other pieces. What I forgot is that it dosen`t matter if it`s pretty or not - every piece I make is going to teach me something, regardless of how "ugly" it might turn out. Until now I only did things I was somewhat sure of, and kinda knew how to draw, but now it`s time to grow out of the boundaries I set around me. I guess the term "trial and error" really does mean both trial AND error, and I have to stop being afraid of both of them. Right?

So, 3 more days till I get my scanner. Here are some older pictures of mine a friend scanned for me. She did the best she could, but the pictures turned out a bit...streched? Cut off? Oh well...Both of them are about 4 years old, and not so bad, actually...Proportions, you say? Yeah, always was an issue for me...sigh...Still, I could never draw something like that again. Seems my skills went down the hill since then. But I`ll get them back. And upgrade!

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Insomnia........ Caffeine is NOT a good way to treat it, trust me...But, while attempting to make the best out of it, I did a little digital piece that has WIP written all over it..Inspired by an awesome print I saw at dArt, but I only looked at it once for a short moment! I swear! Having problems with the nose and hands again...go figure...I`m planning to make 2 more once this one is done, print them out and hang them on my tall, purple walls, legacy of my sister (the color, not the height of them). Come to think of it, a paint job is due. Anyone wanna give me a hand?

:EDIT:
    Forgot to post my photoshop object study. I noticed people usually do apples and other fruit, but since I`m not much of a living-a-healthy-life kind of person, I sketched the first thing I saw. My coffee mug. Addicted much lately?

Last edited by PxelSlayer; March 28th, 2009 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another day, another nervous breakdown. Especially since I`m running low on smokes...

Comment, people. If I can make the effort of making an absolute idiot of myself posting here, I believe you can make the effort of proofing that. Right?

Last edited by PxelSlayer; March 1st, 2010 at 08:47 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The bitching moment

I just knew this day would suck, from the very moment I woke up. I barely slept, kept dreaming about drawing and making sketches (!), and now I`m drop-dead-tired...I didn`t go to classes (playing hookie again, aren`t we?), didn`t pick up my scanner, TRIED to make some drawings but nothing turned out right...Now I know why they say God created man in his own image - to make it hard to draw! Sigh...

A little photoshop pose this time, w/o references...need to swallow my pride and accept the fact that I can`t do without them ATM...I`m such an idiot...

As mentioned, CC is always welcome. I had no idea you people were that shy! Or just not interested in my work and sad attempts of making an image that actually looks good...

Bitch away, Pxel, bitch away...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The day came...my scanner is here...O_o....and now I feel trigger-happy! Ye-haaaaaw! I scanned some of my sketches I made for my fashion design class, along with a sketch...these are following -

1.) The Black queen - a character from Croatian mythology
    2.) Fashion Fantasia - a dress I designed using black/white/color of choice for my class
    3.) Pagan poetry - a quick doodle I made while waiting for the professor...

Looking at them now, I see they are...well, OK i guess, but they are missing that certain edge, that "oomph"...hard to explain...and so static! My god, as if they have a stick up their ... you know

The scanner is here, I have all the time I need now...Anatomy, Pxel, ANATOMY! What are you waiting for?!

Oh, and a little word of advice - if you ever wish to learn how to draw a normal looking humany body, do not, I repeat, DO NOT study fashion design! They`ll make you draw figures that have legs up to their necks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "There you go again, if they don`t have long legs, they have long tails!" - a comment my friend gave on the recent doodle of mine. Talk about professional deformation!

My Loomis is STILL waiting for me. I can almost hear him in the back of my head saying "Cervical vertibrae, cervical vertibrae, biceps & triceps combined!"...Should I go and see a doctor?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little shading/lightning study I did while getting over the shock that I suck at digital painting...enjoyed this one, actually

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quickie made while driving back home in a train...messy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not a bad start actually. Drawing is like learning any other new skill it takes time and practice. I find that when i need to learn something new i follow a logical approach, first i think you need to clearly define your goals and aims. Secondly, you need to read around the subject and find out what inspires YOU from the existing subject matter. Third, its important to learn the terminology of your chosen subject, it helps with understanding when someone explains an issue your having and you can 'talk the talk'.. Fourth, Learn by example, find examples of good reference materials and try to analyze and recreate those examples. Fifth, You then need to attempt your own examples from the 'tit-bits' of information you have gleamed from those before you...

So, in summary i think you've already made the first few steps by joining a site like this and exposing your current skill level. From here on in, its just a matter of being critical of each new piece and develop it until it meets with what ever goal you had for that example. If your goal is to draw the human figure clothed (the fashion thing) then start by analyzing the underlying structure of both human and fabric. then when you have completed a drawing try and spot what you do and dont like about it, then in your next image address the downfalls and research the areas you think you need to make it better.

Hope it makes a little sense. keep posting dude ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the reply! I really didn`t think anyone would bother with little ol` me

Your advices made me really re-think on what I want to master...Inspired by many things, I roam from one to another, w/o really focusing on basics. I love digital paintings, like those by Linda Bergqvist (sp?), but I`m also fascinated with the work of Marko Djurdjevic, and many other artists who each have their own, individual style. Everything would be much easier if I wasn`t afraid of picking up all these books I got about drawing and anatomy, and start from scratch. Also, lately I`ve been feeling like there is actually MORE than just fashion design, but I could never be a concept or a comic artist. Let`s face it - I live in a small country, I`m already too old, and my skills are...ugh, there`s no way of putting in nicely...you know.

I really need to sort these things out. Man, if I only knew that at the age of 24 everyone expects me to know what to do with my life!

In the mean time, I draw...probably the only thing (besides caffeine/nicotine) that makes me feel good...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Randalathor said it

Make yourself a plan, and some goals. Dont make that plan too strict. And go ahead until you reached your goal, than set new goals .

But most important: Keep drawing... whenever you can, and feel like. Always carry a sketchbook around with you, and draw everything you see, and everything you like . Dont worry about the quality of those quick doodles.

And dont tell me your too old!. I'm 20 and i really do think i'm much too old myself already... But the truth is, you can never be too old to learn something new.

Keep drawing and updating!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pencil1 View Post
    Keep drawing and updating!
    !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And then some more....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *sigh...*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to the CA, it is good to have you here. :]
    I want you to take a good, calm moment to set aside your ideas about limitations and enjoy the fact that not only have you decided what you want to do with your life, {no mean feat} but you have also landed in the right place. We learn from each other and grow toward our artistic goals here. I want you to put the Hogarth book back on the shelf for now please. You will see why later. I promise. I assume you are delving into the Loomis "figure drawing" book? If so you are reading his instruction books way out of order. I think it would be wise to check this book out first, here it is for free-
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/10343/Andr...un-With-Pencil
    Do not let anything keep you from studying and understanding this book. Even yourself. If you keep your hands busy learning and drawing, you will have precious little time to play with percieved "limitations". They only exist if you believe in them.
    To study drawing, does not mean copying the drawings, it means to understand and to practice the procedures and methods described in the book.
    I am only certain of a few things and of those things I am absolutely certain. Here is one of them, no one in modern times has offered art instruction equal to Loomis. I will check back with you.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mebiusu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ ED - Wooot! Man, getting an advice/comment from an artist like you is...well, WOOOT!

Thank you for the link, I already have that book (actually, I have all Loomis books), and it is IMO his best one for starters like me. However, I didn`t study anything from books, including Hogarth, all these drawings were made w/o references. I`m trying the "trial and error" method, where I sit in front of a paper and draw something until it looks right. Takes A LOT of time and nerves, so I definitely think having a better look at this book wouldn`t hurt. Again, thanks ( ), I really do hope you`ll have another look here, and I hope I`ll have something more "representative" to show

2 moaaaaaaarrrr! I really need to stop drawing chicks...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great line work and a good sense of fashion model style feminine beauty. It will be interesting to see if you can do a stouter, less elongated version of the female form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Well, I guess the moment had to come. You know, the breaking point - I`ll start from nothing or I`ll give up once and for all. I chose the first option. Now we`ll see if that was a good idea..." EPIC Statement!!!!

I totally understand the whole taking an about turn to do something new. I have done the same going from music to art. 14 years in music gone. Then I found art. Strange as it is, it must be something to do with the mid 20s.

As you mentioned fashion design I can now see why your female figure is tall, slender and leggy. Not a bad thing necessarily.

Great to see you on CA Keep up the good work. -subscribed-

Last edited by Venial; April 18th, 2009 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PxelSlayer View Post
    However, I didn`t study anything from books, including Hogarth, all these drawings were made w/o references. I`m trying the "trial and error" method, where I sit in front of a paper and draw something until it looks right. Takes A LOT of time and nerves, so I definitely think having a better look at this book wouldn`t hurt.
    Please stop doing it that way. You have a good imagination, but I would like to see some studies. You should start reading the books immediately, you can't learn anatomy, composition, perspective or any other art related concept without the basic rules and information. The fundamentals are missing, and there is no reason not to learn these concepts as soon as possible to avoid bad habits like elongated limbs or wonky proportions. You should use references, you should study as much or more than you doodle, otherwise you will stagnate.

You already know that your drawings aren't precious, so do more. But not just more of the wrong thing, that is pointless. Read and draw every page from Loomis, Bridgeman, Villpu. All the time spent trying to find the right line or stressing over imperfections is time that could be spent studying to avoid those problems in the future. You cannot draw well out of your head if you don't know the fundamentals. "Why do I draw from life? So I won't have to."

Art is science multiplied by creativity. Color theory, anatomy, perspective, these are all just concepts based on how our eyes and brain view the world. Your knowledge plus your skill and dexterity skewed by your creativity are what define you as an artist. That is the difference between a professional and an amateur. The amateur just hasn't learned or accepted the fundamentals yet. It's really just knowledge and experience, the information is readily available and you determine how much time you want to spend. Anybody can do it, there is no such thing as talent. Skill. Creativity. Knowledge. Draw more. It's all up to you. Do it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Dahami - that`s the goal! Despite the fact my professors want me to draw long, leggy figures...And then one wants to learn proper anatomy...sheesh!

@Venial - I heard about the mid-life crisis, but a mid-twenties one?! Man, if that`s true, we`re doomed...I just got out of puberty! LOL
    Sunscribed?!

@Collywobbles - bitch slapped by a pro...I needed that! I really want my skills to grow. I don`t have much going on in my life, in fact I never did, so drawing is something that keeps me preoccupied and somehow gives me a feeling of...meaning, I guess. I thought my life would be about writing (hence the journalism study), but that turned out to be a failure of grand proportions...I hope the same won`t happen again. Fashion design...yea, I guess...Here you have to be filthy rich to start your own business, and I don`t know if I have what it really takes. As for art - means a lot to me, but it will probably stay a hobby, and nothing else. I`ll never earn money with it. Gaming industry - yea, right! Comic artist - no, thanks. What ever one could think of doing for a living (art related) has 50 reasons why it would fail. So I pick up my pencils b/c of me. In this little world of mine everything else dosen`t matter. And I like how that feels.

Focus, Pxel, FOCUS!
    More sketch/draw something... This one SO SHOWS I need to pick up my Loomis!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG, where are the legs???!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PxelSlayer View Post
    @Collywobbles - bitch slapped by a pro...I needed that! I really want my skills to grow. I don`t have much going on in my life, in fact I never did, so drawing is something that keeps me preoccupied and somehow gives me a feeling of...meaning, I guess.
    So I pick up my pencils b/c of me. In this little world of mine everything else dosen`t matter. And I like how that feels.
    Oh man, I don't know anything. In fact that's all I do know. I didn't want to sound so militant, I just developed a lot of bad habits years ago that could have been addressed earlier. You don't have to want a career in art, just incorporate some studies here and there to make drawing from your imagination easier and more readable. Either way, your stuff looks good, do whatever is working for you.
    If it's good to ya, it's good for ya.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Collywobbles View Post
    Oh man, I don't know anything. In fact that's all I do know. I didn't want to sound so militant, I just developed a lot of bad habits years ago that could have been addressed earlier. You don't have to want a career in art, just incorporate some studies here and there to make drawing from your imagination easier and more readable. Either way, your stuff looks good, do whatever is working for you.
    If it's good to ya, it's good for ya.
    Just to set things straight - My dad was in special forces...Nothing that ANYONE says to me sounds militant anymore... LMAO...I understand the importance of studies, I KNOW they are going to help me get better, b/c let`s face it - knowledge of anatomy is NOT something that comes natural. I guess some of the reasons why I constantly post pond this vital part of "skill-enhancement" is b/c I`m lazy, and I`ve had bad experiences with this at my classes (i.e. my professor was/is and a**hole and has killed every urge in me to sit down and get busy).

Failed Photoshop experiments...good thing I`m a mad "artist" and not a mad scientist

Last edited by PxelSlayer; April 19th, 2009 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shading...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first figure studies (yes, you read it right, using a reference) - Proportions by Loomis and some comic...so didn`t enjoy this one
    The first one is shading w/o reference, a couple days old...barf...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another study, using Boticellis Venus as a model for a fashion sketch..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Testing, testing...

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts