Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W. #138 Cannibal Mother and Child -- WIPs posting thread

Thanks
    C.O.W. #138 Cannibal Mother and Child -- WIPs posting thread

This is what I got so far. She's all decked with color because shes the female of her species. They eat one of their young per litter in order to assert dominance over the remainder of their spawn. Some have been known to accidentally ignore this (perhaps genetic) tradition, and have been killed by their own rogue litters.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I sketched this ugly mom last night while thinking on what to do for the IDW, and even though now I have a solid idea, it is hard to put it on paper, because I have to take care of some technical stuff, etc; so I decided to spend some time cleaning up this lady a bit and then keep doing the industrial stuff.
    I'm experimenting a bit this time, with a sort of cartoony approach. I wanted a much longer snout but since there was little space left on the sketchbook I just made it short, with a very similar silhouette to the one of my undead creature, oval shaped, I mean. I think it's kinda cruel to add a tiny one with its guts all over the place, so I might add just a head (with a "oh, no"! expression) or a leg popping out the egg she's eating.
    Anyways, I hope I finish at least one of the entries I want to submit this week, the COW and/or the IDW.

One thing I would like to say about what I've seen so far, to nobody in particular. From a personal point of view, I see that it’s very common to rush into the coloring process, leaving little space for rough’s improvement. That’s what I get, not only here but in many sketchbook threads as well. It's a personal choice but I rather have a solid, well done rough (I'm not saying that all my roughs are like that), erasing, gesturing again, checking anatomy (if necessary), and then some clean up; than a colored piece with evident and clear flaws, just for the sake of having a colored piece. I constantly ask myself if there's no more room for improvement. I do take some time when necessary. If it’s not ready yet, it’s not ready, and I keep working on it. That "speedy" trend makes me sick sometimes, I confess. Speed will come with practice and study, since you solve problems faster, don't rely that much on constant revisions, and so on. Not too long ago, I would spend from two to three days on a sketch. Now it's usually a day, or a few hrs, or even about 45min or so.
    Again, it's a personal point of view, I'm not a pro, a mentor, or anything like that. We are in charge of our own learning process, and we take or leave what we think matters to us and let us grow as artists, and that's great.

Alright, time to sketch, see you guys!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to luness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I thought of taking a more realistic approach on this, since Cannibalism does really exist in nature. I thought of some egg hatching bird-creature. The mother has to stay near the nest all the time, because there are many predators, that would eat those eggs, if she left. So the male partner has to hunt for food and feed it to her by trophallaxis.
    In some cases, the male partners don't do that (maybe they get killed or they cheat on their wifes with another hot bird) and the females have nothing to eat. So in order to be able to have at least a few offsprings, they crack open some of the eggs.
    I think, that's how it could really be in nature... So I decided to paint something, that really could exist. I hope it doesn't. If anybody has seen a creature like this, please tell me

So now I'm asking if my creature is breaking any COW rules, so that I'm not wasting any more time on it.

Has it a chance on going to poll? If not, what should I do to make it go to poll? I'll definately redo the egg (it's just a placeholder) and add some eggs under her body and if theres more time I'll add a simple background...

Attachment 634316

Thanks

C.o.w. #138 Wip

This is my first post ever. Long time lurker, first time I've felt I could post. Just a WIP, won't be Finaling, just looking for technique tips/critiques. I like harsh reviews, as I am very hard on myself. A curt and to-the-point reprimand will send me back to my furious drawing board.

This is essentially a rock monster cutting her child's hair and eating the leftovers.

Thanks
    Once again there're a lot of good WIP. I can't wait to see the final of this COW. Here is my second WIP. I hope I'm going in the right way.
    Attachment 634505
    My Portfolio : http://pierropod.daportfolio.com/
    My Concept Art Gallery : http://www.conceptart.org/?artist=Pierropod
    My Facebook FanPage : FanPage

Thanks

Wip #2

did some more work on the front leg, but cant decide how I feel about the desaturated look.
    color scheme suggestions?
    also thinking about what sort of environment this lives in.

Thanks

Potaut2

scorge cool start!
    luness the small arms are very groovy.
    Last edited by skullbeast; April 1st, 2009 at 04:02 AM.

Thanks

Cow #138 Wip...

Hey all... here is a very rough WIP of my entry... constructive criticism and feedback are much appreciated...

Concept: A sudden lack of food sources + a drive to survive causes this mother creature to devour the weakest of her "pups" in order to provide sustinence to herself and her favored offspring; they join in by sipping on the blood of their sibling that drips down their mother's body.

Thanks

Thanks
    Dear luness, i think your right with that speedy thing. TAKE TIME for the sketches. For me i can get a better feel for the creature. I have tried to
    sketch with colours and then to build up the sketch. But it was the last time i tried that. LONG LIVE THE PENCIL! Next time i try to overpaint the sketch with a black Prisma-Colour pencil (like Carlos Huante). Then i make a scan and colour that. Let´s see how that works for me.

Thanks
    hmm... should be starting with the lower leagues i guess... but this subject made a rather interesting idea for me....

this hopefully will be done by friday... but i really don't know...

...also not to sure if the attachment is gna work :/
    "Can't you hear it? The sound of beating drums, constant, never fading and yet always getting louder... as if getting closer and closer"
    http://kraken-steelklaw.deviantart.com

Thanks
    It's too bad about this one, I may have to wait until the next one to give this a shot. Since all I can think of is babies eating their mothers.

Thanks
    I think it will be the last iteration for this one :

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast