C.O.W. #138 Cannibal Mother and Child -- WIPs posting thread - Page 2

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    potaut2

Michael Jaecks - thanks!

rushwolf - cool beastie! what painter are you using. I picked up 11 a bit ago. it's cool. I still bounce to and fro ps4 to p11. are you using any vector software.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by skullbeast; March 30th, 2009 at 01:15 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

My First CoW

I ran out of time on the EoW, so going to try and give the CoW a try. Let me know what ya think of the concept. I'm new at this so hang in there with me.

Thanks

Here's a little update for the CoW 138

Still peckin away at it but here's a quick peek at the progress.

Thanks
    Oh snap!lol I see we already got some jiggy entrys goin in here...This is a super sick topic and I am hoping I can def get down on this one.

Thanks
    This will be my first C.O.W entry. Ive posted in a couple DSG's, but decided to participate in other activities. I might tweak it some, but am afraid of overworking it so we will see.

Population of this species is low, due to the fact the mother devours its young upon hatching. If days have gone by since last hatching, the mother moves on leaving the unhatched eggs to survive alone. Because of the carnivorous nature of this species, it is known for them to stumble into other nests in search of an easy meal, if nest is unattended, the female will seize nest and wait for unhatched eggs to hatch. However, if a maternal female returns to her nest while a squatter is there, she will fight to the death to protect her offspring, and food.

Last edited by Asettimi; March 30th, 2009 at 02:41 AM.

Thanks
    Two examples I can think of.

Crocodiles (or one of the similar reptiles) will eat their own young if they find them after they hatch, they cant distinguish between their own and other crocs offspring. I think they even sometimes forget which eggs are their own and eat those as well.

In walking with dinosaurs I think there was a mammal ancestor that lived in an underground burrow. If the burrow was discovered by the raptors, the mammals would move on, eating the young rather than letting the dinosaurs have them.

"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

My SB

Thanks

Thanks
    I'm not sure if I'm gonna stick to that but here is my idea on this thumbnail.
    Name:  scan066.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  137.8 KB

My Portfolio : http://pierropod.daportfolio.com/
    My Concept Art Gallery : http://www.conceptart.org/?artist=Pierropod
    My Facebook FanPage : FanPage

Thanks
    Started blocking in some colour and figuring out how I want this thing to look. I realize it has similarities to a previous COW of mine. Guess I like floating creatures.

Thanks
    Here's some wipage from me

a bit rusty from such a long break - crits and comments would be v. helpful

basic idea - a creature that uses the spines on its back to photosynthesize sunlight for the energy it requires to move its sinewy form. Of course the planet it lives on is subject to monthly eclipses lasting several days, in order to substitute the energy it looses from a lack of sunlight it will consume the young that travel with it during infancy.

Thanks
    Sorry,Jacks, if this is too similar an inquiry, but will a Medusa type of creature be considered too humanoid?

"I don't DO drugs, I Am drugs..."
    - Salvador Dali

Thanks
    Hi my first sketch of the mother. It will eat the little Children that come out of her. The mother is too fat and slow to eat other things.

Thanks
    I have changed by idea completely by this point and here is the sketch.

Critiques and criticism and all that would be greatly appreciated.

64% of all percentages are made up on the spot.

My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...06#post1686206

Thanks

potaut2

update!

Last edited by skullbeast; March 31st, 2009 at 03:01 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,858 Times in 415 Posts

Thumbs up

Did somebody say participation is demanded? Okay, you twisted my arm.

Skullbeast: looking good. Very good. Definite improvement showing here. Just alien enough to convince us that they're cannibalistic. Values look great.
    Tyrus: Isn't skewering one of the greatest inventions of the early 14th century? (Don't quote me on that time frame though, no reference used.) Anyway, my crits would include the lack of space in the image, she needs some breathing room especially if she's going to have some young ones around for lunch. Second would be the shape and position of the head. Looks kind of stapled on there right now.
    Ironhead: Cool name by the way, and I'm diggin' the multiple mouths and breasts. Especially the breasts. I'm kidding! Maybe.
    Mohog: Damn that's a lot of mouth! Actually looks pretty good. The legs don't quite make up for that stance. Wouldn't have very good balance. You might need a really long tail to do that.
    Zimfin: Ah, another floater eh? Heh-Heh I love the textures on the balloon sack.
    Pierropod: Feels like it should either go more vertical, or lengthen the body a bit.. I do enjoy the "back-turned-I'm-doing-something-very-wrong-guilty-as-all-hell" body language.
    Asettimi: I think if you turned down the saturation a little and cropped it you'd have a badass entry.
    Tantrom Frenzy: Hanging in there. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
    Rushwolf: Fn' crazy update. How's it going with the Painter? Looks neato.
    ChuckMate: Hmmmm. How do I put this? Sweet Jesus that's great? Yeah that sounds good. She makes that baby look delicious.

Aaaaaaaand here's my crappy cannibalistic mutant kitty cat.

Last edited by scorge; March 31st, 2009 at 05:08 AM.
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Scourge,
    Ill check out the saturation. Doesn't look intense on my screen, I wonder if my display needs a little calibrating. BTW your Titan creature entry is kick ass as well.

Thanks
    scorge: Cheers!

I messed up and somehow saved my previous wip after flattening all my layers. Well, this makes it more challenging to maintain that texture on the balloon whilst achieving the transparent look I want. Damn.
    Anyway, this is what I have so far. Not loving this one though so I could very well change the whole thing.

Thanks
    So, here is a big update!

Thanks
    cheers scourge, definitely need to look at that stance...
    Liking the way yours is going - will some up with an insightful crit later

I'm diggin' the multiple mouths and breasts. Especially the breasts. I'm kidding! Maybe.
    that made my day, lol

Thanks
    First sketch!

Thanks

Wip

here's mine so far.
    it looks a little flat at the moment.
    the back leg was definitely thrown on pretty quickly and is going to undergo a lot of refinement.

Thanks
    Moooother, tell your children not to walk my way.....ahem. Just kidding, couldn't help myself. Cool topic this week. Some potentially neat designs already.

Thanks

This is what I got so far. She's all decked with color because shes the female of her species. They eat one of their young per litter in order to assert dominance over the remainder of their spawn. Some have been known to accidentally ignore this (perhaps genetic) tradition, and have been killed by their own rogue litters.

Thanks
    I sketched this ugly mom last night while thinking on what to do for the IDW, and even though now I have a solid idea, it is hard to put it on paper, because I have to take care of some technical stuff, etc; so I decided to spend some time cleaning up this lady a bit and then keep doing the industrial stuff.
    I'm experimenting a bit this time, with a sort of cartoony approach. I wanted a much longer snout but since there was little space left on the sketchbook I just made it short, with a very similar silhouette to the one of my undead creature, oval shaped, I mean. I think it's kinda cruel to add a tiny one with its guts all over the place, so I might add just a head (with a "oh, no"! expression) or a leg popping out the egg she's eating.
    Anyways, I hope I finish at least one of the entries I want to submit this week, the COW and/or the IDW.

One thing I would like to say about what I've seen so far, to nobody in particular. From a personal point of view, I see that itís very common to rush into the coloring process, leaving little space for roughís improvement. Thatís what I get, not only here but in many sketchbook threads as well. It's a personal choice but I rather have a solid, well done rough (I'm not saying that all my roughs are like that), erasing, gesturing again, checking anatomy (if necessary), and then some clean up; than a colored piece with evident and clear flaws, just for the sake of having a colored piece. I constantly ask myself if there's no more room for improvement. I do take some time when necessary. If itís not ready yet, itís not ready, and I keep working on it. That "speedy" trend makes me sick sometimes, I confess. Speed will come with practice and study, since you solve problems faster, don't rely that much on constant revisions, and so on. Not too long ago, I would spend from two to three days on a sketch. Now it's usually a day, or a few hrs, or even about 45min or so.
    Again, it's a personal point of view, I'm not a pro, a mentor, or anything like that. We are in charge of our own learning process, and we take or leave what we think matters to us and let us grow as artists, and that's great.

Alright, time to sketch, see you guys!

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to luness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I thought of taking a more realistic approach on this, since Cannibalism does really exist in nature. I thought of some egg hatching bird-creature. The mother has to stay near the nest all the time, because there are many predators, that would eat those eggs, if she left. So the male partner has to hunt for food and feed it to her by trophallaxis.
    In some cases, the male partners don't do that (maybe they get killed or they cheat on their wifes with another hot bird) and the females have nothing to eat. So in order to be able to have at least a few offsprings, they crack open some of the eggs.
    I think, that's how it could really be in nature... So I decided to paint something, that really could exist. I hope it doesn't. If anybody has seen a creature like this, please tell me

So now I'm asking if my creature is breaking any COW rules, so that I'm not wasting any more time on it.

Has it a chance on going to poll? If not, what should I do to make it go to poll? I'll definately redo the egg (it's just a placeholder) and add some eggs under her body and if theres more time I'll add a simple background...

Name:  COW.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  181.2 KB

Thanks

C.o.w. #138 Wip

This is my first post ever. Long time lurker, first time I've felt I could post. Just a WIP, won't be Finaling, just looking for technique tips/critiques. I like harsh reviews, as I am very hard on myself. A curt and to-the-point reprimand will send me back to my furious drawing board.

This is essentially a rock monster cutting her child's hair and eating the leftovers.

Thanks
    Once again there're a lot of good WIP. I can't wait to see the final of this COW. Here is my second WIP. I hope I'm going in the right way.
    Name:  mothercanibal.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  190.8 KB

My Portfolio : http://pierropod.daportfolio.com/
    My Concept Art Gallery : http://www.conceptart.org/?artist=Pierropod
    My Facebook FanPage : FanPage

Thanks

Wip #2

did some more work on the front leg, but cant decide how I feel about the desaturated look.
    color scheme suggestions?
    also thinking about what sort of environment this lives in.

Thanks

Potaut2

scorge cool start!
    luness the small arms are very groovy.

Last edited by skullbeast; April 1st, 2009 at 04:02 AM.

Thanks

Cow #138 Wip...

Hey all... here is a very rough WIP of my entry... constructive criticism and feedback are much appreciated...

Concept: A sudden lack of food sources + a drive to survive causes this mother creature to devour the weakest of her "pups" in order to provide sustinence to herself and her favored offspring; they join in by sipping on the blood of their sibling that drips down their mother's body.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.