lizard

crit welcomed

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello and welcome to CA

The things I like best about this painting are your monster design, your use of good anatomy and the pose you have created.

The things that I would recommend working on more:
    1) the skin texture looks like a photoshop filter. it's 1-dimensional and does not wrap around the form of the creature. you would be better off with no texture or with a hand-drawn texture that follows the shape of the creature.
    2) the face is depicted in a very plain side profile which makes it look flattened like an egyptian hieroglyph. any different angle would improve the sense of 3-dimensionality.

On a side note, if you post 7 threads in a row asking for critiques, you may not get many replies. It may be more productive to post on thread with one image or start a sketchbook thread in the sketchbook section to post all of your images together.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some random thoughts and ideas about this piece. You obviously have a good understanding about anatomy to the point where you are trying to get creative and push things into a realm of mythical / fantasy beasts. there are a couple places though which I feel need to tightening, specifically his left fist looks slightly off to me, structurally the placement of the fingers on the main block of the hand is wonky. and the whole pose suggests that we are at a up angle of the beast / monster, at least the upper torso, but the head in perspective is straight on and profile. Reconsider the angle at which we are looking at the monster and the placement of the head. Its not that there is anything specifically wrong with it right now, but its could be pushed to a more exciting more appealing angle I think.

Secondly the texture I don't even mind that much, I think it would be more powerful if it were toned down a bit and made really subtle, where as now its very apparent. Extra attention could be payed to the piece overall, texture is good and can really bring a character alive, but I there are places where no texture is better and or new textures are needed. Such as things like nails / claws / fangs. or in the case of this particular piece which is obviously heavily reptilian influenced consider such things as under bellies, or palms or soles of feet which might not always carry the same texture as things that would always be exposed to the elements.

Lastly, the background really kills this for me. You have a nice character in a interesting pose with a decent texture and then you plop a streaky lime green background to the whole thing. If you are feeling that you don't want to do a background with perspective or a frame of reference which will place the character in a certain type of place or world, then you need to work even harder to consider your palette, and your light source. If you are keeping with a monochromatic theme, search for a green that will let the artwork show itself instead of competing for the eyes attention with this vivid neon green that you have currently chosen. I believe that if you consider the following you will find your art looking better and better all the time.

This response got sorta long, but it is all truthful.

Cheers
    and good luck

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    marty my boy, you have a whopping 9 threads going at once in the critique center, as PsiBug stated you can better organize your images in a sketchbook. keep in mind that the feedback you get should apply to all of your future work, not just the single image on hand. you're just making our fingers tired by typing the same set of responses.

you'll get replies in a sketchbook, and you'll look oh so snazzy with everything cleanly in one thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol ok guys sorry for all the threads, I just joined the forum so wasnt sure what way was best to do things. Also these paintings are all practice as I have only been learning digital painting the past couple of months. thanks for the crit tho very helpful.

Members who have read this thread: 1