Sketchbook: :::pissant's sketchbook: updated Mar 26th:::

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

:::pissant's sketchbook: updated Mar 26th:::

Well, I've finally done it, and you all get another beginner's thread to enjoy. Hopefully this sketchbook will mean that I'm motivated to draw daily, and maybe even improve a little. For the record, I'm 23, and the last time I took drawing classes was when I was 16, so please C&C me senseless.

I'll start with eyes, because they're easier than hands. Half an hour, mechanical HB/2B pencil, and a mirror.

Just trying to get a feel for the structure and proportions of the eye and the expressions it can make. Tomorrow I'll find some female brows to draw and do some ultra close-ups to further explore the eye's anatomy...

Last edited by pissant; February 12th, 2007 at 05:22 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    i've just started a sketchbook to, although i'm only 15! this is good i can see how you're already staring to develop! just keep drawing!

Thanks
    Those eye came out nice. I am a begginer too, and what really helped me was drawing from life, mostly drawing my friends and family, and trying to get proportion. Anyways keep on going...

Thanks
    Do 40 eyes and u'll be much further set. but 6 is cool to start with. keep practicing.. show some devotion and you'll be shown some progression. and attention from some of us. keep going - piece - chudds

Thanks
    Yesterday's sketches. Still need to work on my proportions, which you'd realise if I had the bandwidth to put the references up:

I still feel that I need to be a bit looser with my sketching, but I'll keep at it. As ever, more to follow, hopefully tonight.

Last edited by pissant; February 12th, 2007 at 05:23 PM.

Thanks
    You're definitely getting better pissant. Keep at it. Oh, and try some studies of other parts like noses and ears.

Sincerely,
    Chris

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. Unfortunately the resulting sparks set fire to any nearby artworks."

Thanks
    very cool,
    glad to see another amatuer trying to learn like myself. Hrm, I should try out some eye studies as well.

thx

I my girlfriend & my book of sketches

Thanks
    great job on those eye studies, there's already a lot of progess showing!

Deprogramming the youth, for a better tommorow ... TODAY!

Thanks
    Originally posted by pissant
    I still feel that I need to be a bit looser with my sketching, but I'll keep at it. As ever, more to follow, hopefully tonight.
    I agree; your larger studies are far more lifelike and expressive than you smaller, tighter drawings. Draw larger, that'll help with the tighness. Sometimes I draw in ballpoint pen to help myself loosen up; you just can't be as anal about things when you sketch in pen, because it'll get too dark to work on pretty quick. In that way, pen is also a good trainer for sketching quickly and moving on.

Nice job: keep up the good work!

Thanks
    keep it up, these will come in handy a lot as u progress and delve more into drawing figures/people.

Thanks
    I'm going through the same process you are, and you're kicking ass at it. Definitely improving as far as eyes go.

Good luck to you!

Thanks
    Oops. Been a little too long since I last posted. I'm not going to make any excuses, just try to draw at least an hour a day. Just a couple of little ones from the last week, trying to simplify anatomy down a bit, and do some different head angles.

The next posts will be a better size so you can actually see stuff.

Last edited by pissant; February 12th, 2007 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks
    Decided to just pick up a magazine (Tatler in this instance)and draw, trying to make sure I get into the habit. You can see where I got tired on these ones...

Last edited by pissant; February 12th, 2007 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks
    Last couple of days stuff. Got way too tense on this one, so went for looser stuff:

Tried the old define forms with shadow thing, will probably continue this tonight:

Still need to watch those proportions and the tightness. Ah, well...onwards.

Last edited by pissant; February 12th, 2007 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks
    Social engagement yesterday, but here's Tuesday's:

Horribly bad trying to get it to scan ok, but it'll teach me to stop drawing all wishy-washy. Or buy a better scanner.

And an overly belated thankyou for all the c&c so far.

*edit: fixed scanner problem and reposted*

Last edited by pissant; February 12th, 2007 at 05:26 PM.

Thanks
    Yet more figure studies off into the electronic ether:

Trying to sketch quicker and just get the movement lines and basic shading down. The mid-left one is awful, lost the movement and the proportions. I've just found the life-drawing turorials stuff, so may well try some of that.

It's also struck me that this has all been a bit dry so far, so some conceptual stuff may well be in order soon...

Last edited by pissant; February 12th, 2007 at 05:26 PM.

Thanks
    Oopsie. Slap on the wrist for not making time for drawing in my life. I have been sketching, but not regularly, so here's a collage of random stuff from the last few weeks, including a self-portrait that actually resembles me:

In the last couple of days I've realised that I need to do some hardcore anatomy to really get to know how the body works. So...

And may many more follow. Soon. C&C very welcome, as ever.

Last edited by pissant; February 12th, 2007 at 05:27 PM.

Thanks
    Are you using gray's anatomy? I recognise those sketches! :p

Thanks
    waronmars: yeah, I think some of those were from Gray's, but they'll mostly be from "Anatomy and Physiology" now, as it has some very nice illustrations.

Well, it's been a while. Had a little scribble to loosen up: doing just anatomy studies proved to be a bit too hardcore after a while. So...

The thing at the bottom I may develop further: I was thinking of a kind of living hot air balloon to live in a dense gas atmosphere. The scan's a bit fuzzy (damn cheap pencils), but I think it's just about readable. C&C as ever, s'il vous plait.

Last edited by pissant; February 12th, 2007 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks
    Isn't it amazing what you can find in these old threads? Thought I'd better dig this up, as I'm actually drawing again. Right...one anatomy page and one "from memory" page to try and get some dynamics into it and see how much of the anatomy knowledge I've retained:

Well, that was painless. Some of the proportions are a bit out, need to keep my eye on those. C&C please!

Last edited by pissant; February 12th, 2007 at 05:29 PM.

Thanks
    wow, lots of improvement!
    the anatomy studies are looking really good, I also like the gesture drawings - post more!

"The reason why truth is so much stranger than fiction is that there is no requirement for it to be consistent."-Mark Twain

gone.

Thanks
    Nike: I'll be doing lots more gestures, don't worry! The anatomy's ok, but I'll need to simplify it down a bit: too many muscle group to remember there.

Update time: sketched some skull stuff, then moved on to the upper body muscle groups (ref'd from bodybuilders). I'm still unsure about the latissimus dorsi, so that'll need some work. Looking at Saturday's gestures, the spines all look a bit too straight. Oh well:

C&C welcome (and much needed).

Last edited by pissant; February 12th, 2007 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks
    hey youre going about it the right way. nice studies.

its good to see someone from up north, only other ca members i have seen are from down south

Thanks
    wow ,Great progress, gimme a break.

your face studies were great from the first. Now ur anatomy is EXCELENT, u should have start drawing before, lolz, its not too late, U can become an artist very easily,, well not that easily, but I can see from your drawings thats its easy for u to become one.

i Started drawing recently too, im 17 now. I started from DEC 2004.
    Plz check my sketchbook, man, i've got to start drawing serious . Learning speed is getting higher and higher.

sorry im so lazy, and sick now, i cant read the whole thread, can u tell me what books are u using? I think its really magical, lolz,jks

well what can i say,, Post more great works, Keep it up,

¤Sketch FACTORY¤

THe Cookie Factory StuDio
    Ryn
    --
    Project SOle.ca
    ¤ ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ ¤

Thanks
    oven g love: Cheers, I'm going to stick at it this time too. No more 6 month breaks (although I will confess that not having a girlfriend is making finding time to draw a whole lot easier now. Heh). I'd be tempted to go to those get-togethers, but I really don't like London.

HEROIC: Thanks, man. My anatomy ain't that great though: there are always people like Marko to keep us humble. I'm using "Principles Of Anatomy And Physiology" by Tortora/Grabowski: it's a full-on medical book, and the illustrations are pretty neat, but not good for motion and unusual angles...

Hence I need to do stuff like this. Loosely based on some ballet photos:

C&C me folks. I'm going to go rest my eyes.

Last edited by pissant; February 12th, 2007 at 05:32 PM.

Thanks
    thats passion

c00l things.. nice studies .. keep drawing them .. the help u to understand proportions and body dynamics really good and fast.. i made excelent improvement with these

same for the other parts.. head eyes nose and features.. draw them simple.. and then get them more and more complex until u got realistic stuff also when u rotate ur head or stuff.. u get more shape controle..
    i rotate my shapes like a clock... then i see wheres my idle orientation.... example.. arm is hanging so its like 6o clock.. same when u stand on grond for leg.. 6 oglock pose.. then i draw 3 clock and 9.. and then i go on with 7 8 and 4 5.. when iv done these i draw 6 clock again.... same with heads and features..

iv done a lil crapy tutorial about head drawing

hope this helps

http://www.sketchbooksessions.com/th...ic.php?t=21215

http://www.fragtasia.de/bob/2dstuff/...head_draw_muh/

this shows some of my head studies and how i proceed.. when i draw..
    1 check viewpoint
    2 check perspective *depends on 1*
    3 draw my simple cube or sphere to get the heads orientation and allignement in 3d space*orient simplified
    4 i draw simplified features inside my sphere...simple shapes just to indicate the orientation
    5 when i feel save drawing step 4 i start geting complex and adding some more details

draw draw draw

pm me if u got some more questions about ma tuts

pss : am 23 too... feeling so old

Thanks
    Wicked Studies! Keep it up and you should be great!

My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

Thanks
    -sideshowbob-: Thanks for the advice, man. I'll check out those links properly when I can. Heh...I'm actually 24 now. Older and none the wiser.

Xpose: Thanks for the encouragement, it's most appreciated (and needed whilst doing anatomy studies!).

Well, here's today's, took three hours of my life, but I think it was worth it. Ref'd from Anatomy and Physiology. The proportions are better on these, as I blocked them out first:

Suggestions for future studies and improvements all welcome.

Last edited by pissant; February 12th, 2007 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks
    Well blow me (don't): hands are sodding difficult. I'll be doing a lot more of these at some point, and consulting Loomis's hand drawing techniques, I think. Any other bits of advice also welcome:

Some day I will actually post some concepts...I know it's very dry stuff, but critiques are still most appreciated.

Last edited by pissant; February 12th, 2007 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks
    Well, today's theme was: draw anything, you lazy ****, and post it. So you get this mixed bag of faces. Aren't you lucky? Crits most needed, as the proportions on half of these are just horrible, and I was drawing way too tight.

Right, this is going to be updated at least once every two days. Enough messing around.

Last edited by pissant; February 12th, 2007 at 05:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.