silentbrain vs MrKayne

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

silentbrain vs MrKayne

Okay silentbrain and I have decided, and this shall be improved law:

Topic: A monster or genetically altered animal/creature that is used for warfare.

For this match there will be one final image; the monster can be realistic or completely fantasy. Any medium or programs are allowed. Optionally, a second piece can be created, of a monster or genetically altered animal/creature that is an exotic pet.

Last edited by MrKayne; January 20th, 2004 at 07:09 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, these are simple sketches, but I think I'm trying to go for a genetically altered animal type of feel. This one is more of the war-type... I'm thinkin' he's got to be vicious enough to not need weapons, but can be able to handle them.

silentbrain vs MrKayne silentbrain vs MrKayne
    Not much yet, but I'm getting a little free time now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure what this one is... war or exotic; it can be exotic and valuable - skin composed of rock/mineral substance. In war, they strap a bomb on it, send it into enemy camp, then boom.
    silentbrain vs MrKayne

okay, silentbrain, how's things on your end? C'mon ya pansy
    silentbrain vs MrKayne

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn dude, you've really got this going already

tis only a flesh wound! I'll bite your kneecaps off!
    so far I've only been able to think about it, still brainstorming a bit. there's a chance I might be able to get my hands on a cheapo scanner so hopefully I will be able to participate more in this thread in maybe a week :chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by MrKayne
    oh, and silentbrain, I've been seeing you around the DSG alot lately - been doing some good work. But, don't think you can use that as your excuse when I kick yer butt in our TD match! [/B]
    Gah, ya found me! Agh! I admit it, I'm actually a terrible procrastinator on these sorts of things.

Thanks for the kick in the butt tho. I will start to get on that...(just gotta find me a cheap scanner or get mum to mail over my old scanner)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, don't worry about posting it - when I start working digitally, I'll be postin' that too. So, you can just post some WIP then... although I would like to see your sketches, I don't want to make you go through too much trouble, since we have just one month.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Naw that's cool. I probably won't be able to get a scanner in time, but if I do any color scheme tests like I'm hoping I will, then I will post those here.

I need to get off my lazy ass and get started though I think this kind of long-term design thing is exactly what I need more of x_x

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I'm pretty set on one of my creatures... I believe this is the war one (still working on the idea for the other creature, though). I did some more sketches, sorry, I know you can't post, but I'm just letting you see how things are here. Don't worry, should have some digital work next time.

I really like the wings part of him, so I'm trying to work on that.
    silentbrain vs MrKayne

This is the basic composition, just showing the placement.
    silentbrain vs MrKayne

Here's a more detailed sketch of the pose of my creature.
    silentbrain vs MrKayne

Hope your work's going good silentbrain. Been liking your DSG work lately... better be sure to bring that quality to our match!
    :chug:

Last edited by MrKayne; January 14th, 2004 at 12:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, looking nice there MrKayne! :chug:

To be truthful, since school started my schedule's been in disarray, hopefully this weekend I can put in solid hours on this though. :bash:

I decided my war creature will be a giant locust (dog sized) that attacks in swarms. Probably medieval fantasy localle, and they may be colored red and green. Been doing a few sketches, hope to have something more tangible to post over the weekend. *sweat*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *sigh* excuses, excuses...

Anyways, I did a rough color study today... I did it in Open Canvas instead of Painter, 'cause I read about how you can create these mini-movie type things of your process and though it kicked ass, so I gave it a go. The prog's actually pretty decent, so if your workin on a pc, download my process (I'm not a painter, so bear with it)
    [edit - deleted file... been up long enough]

Here's the jpeg of it >
    silentbrain vs MrKayne

(OC website > www.portalgraphics.net)

Last edited by MrKayne; April 28th, 2004 at 04:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, I know opencanvas, there's some really amazing stuff I've watched just like "omg wtf aaa " I don't like that they took out networking out of the newer versions though...just like paintchat except you can save the event file.

Anyway, thanks for the event file, was fun to watch. Good to see you're working hard on it, at least somebody is x_x

20 more days, gah!

Anyway, I did finally get something to post, color schemes.
    silentbrain vs MrKayne
    silentbrain vs MrKayne
    silentbrain vs MrKayne

I'm not really satisfied with the design just yet, still feels like I just took a regular locust and enlarged it + tacked some stuff on, I will probably change something drastically before moving on to the final picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah they've got some awesome OC stuff.
    Anywas, I'm liking the color schemes... I kinda like the middle one, the purple/red/grey works well together. As for the design, it's a cool looking start - I like all the bloody teeth and spikes and such.

I'm not sure if my sketches convey what I'm trying to get at, but I'm merging parts of animals into one, somewhat realistic creation. 'course my angle is more of a genetically-tampered-war-animal. I think the flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz were cool, so I knida started with that. It's supposed to have a cat-like torso and legs, with gorilla arms. It's has a little bit of snakeskin or something lining it's back and feet. Oh, and it's head is like a mix of a wild boar/bat/cougar-ish combo. It can even pee standing up if it wants too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wizard of Oz has flying monkies?! Man, now I know my memory's gone to hell o_O

Thanks for c&c, right now I'm just trying to think of what animal would be good to throw into the mix, then hopefully on to the final planning!

Funny, given that we got the lunar new year off, I thought I would get more things done. >_< I will have a new start! ...after dinner...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, yeah... I must admit, your excuses are creative.:p I can't lie - I've been procrastinating the shit out of this project too.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you a peek at my creation thus far. I don't want to unveil all of it 'cause I wouldn't want to blow you away... yet (that, and it's not close to done)
    silentbrain vs MrKayne

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    silentbrain vs MrKayne

Damn, you must be pretty far into the finished piece by now o_O

I've finally settled on a design, I wanted it to be a little more scary. I think I'll just adjust the texture on the back before finally going to the actual picture, lol.
    Too bad I have no composition sense, this is going to be an interesting next 10 days....TEN DAYS?! AUUUUGGGHHH!!!11111

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol... I posted that pic on the 23rd, but I've only worked on it one day so far. heh, better get on the ball again I guess.

I like that design, it reminds me of this crazy, beefed-up mothra.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahaha, at least you're past the thumb stage, although it's good to hear from a fellow procrastinator!
    (actually, hope it is real procrastination, and not that all your time has been sucked up by work x_x)

silentbrain vs MrKayne
    silentbrain vs MrKayne

gonna revisit these thumbs later, get some distance from them. Maybe try a few more before I get on to final. Gotta spend more time here since I tend to rush this part and go straight to the "drawing tiny useless details" stage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final stretch! Working hard on mine (mostly because of procrastination...only just started on friday auugh) hope yours is coming along better x_x

Decided not to go with either of those thumbnails, hopefully that was a good choice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, my procrastination caught me too. I was going to work on it last week, but I got sick, so I'm basically hauling ass now. Looks like I'll be working late tonight... heh...

oh, and, I noticed, I was focusing so much on a making a creature, I forgot to make a war-type setting for it, so I gotta try to squeeze that in too. 0_o ...lol, I'm such a dumbass.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To say nothing of the second drawing, the exotic pet. Have you given any thought to yours? Cause I haven't

Sorry to hear you got sick, hope you're feeling better now. Looking forwards to your final pic, and also somewhat glad to see the end of this thing. (right during midterms! egads!)

War settings are difficult, as I have found out firsthand...but I liked your design, I think it would look good just doing a cool pose. But good luck on it! This is a fight...to the death! (or perhaps just to who goes to sleep first)

Got a question though...any particular time+timezone we are supposed to get these in by? Or is it okay to submit at 11:30pm, hawaii time? Been searching for a definitive answer, but all I hear is "ends on feb 10th" and "judges will look at pics on feb 10th". Hell, it's already 1.5 hours into feb 10th where I'm at...and I don't expect to get back to working on the pic till after classes, some 12 hours later.

If you are already done by then, I will try to finish up my pic quickly and post both in the 'final pics' thread. Any preference who goes first? I'm cool either way.

Okay back to studying...lots of coffee and lots of trips to the bathroom.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nope, haven't done a thing for the exotic pet. After we *ahem* improved the rules, I just didn't even worry about it. I knew I'd barely make the one drawing... man, we're artists and we're so horribly disciplined, eh?

Yeah, I have absolutly no idea how the deadline works.. they were very vague on that. Either way, I think I finished mine enough... I figure I probably won't discover some amazing artistic vision or talent in the one day anyway. As for posting in the final pics area, if it's no trouble, I don't mind you posting my pic for me. I don't care what the order is, and if you can't decide, just flip a coin.

Well enough yackin'. Good luck on yours... I'm pretty excited to see how and which thumbnail becomes the final piece. Okay, here it is... (I think I had a little too much fun with the blood)
    silentbrain vs MrKayne
    [edit: here the url for this pic so you can post it in the final images > http://www.kaynecomix.com/ca/td_final.jpg]

hi-res version (1500x900ish) > http://www.kaynecomix.com/ca/hi_res.jpg

Last edited by MrKayne; April 28th, 2004 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That pic looks awesome man! I love the way it feels like the creature is sneaking across the ground, with the wings it feels like an aircraft flying nap-of-the-earth. Not so sure about all the many specular highlights on the blood, but hell, it still reads as blood and it's a nice, semi-mysterious pic. (ie, those poor bastards, I'm sure glad I didn't have to see them die )

Thanks for providing the event file, was fun to watch and I guess you are digging opencanvas. (It's just too bad the new versions don't have paintchat-style networking... but 1.xx versions do and are floating around the internet, well, so be it) I'm surprised that you laid out your palette on the picture, I haven't really seen it done that way before. Is it for keeping your color scheme in line? Or some other purpose?

Your style is streamlined though, it seems. As opposed to incredibly noodly and precious like mine x_x

Dargh, looks like I'm posting mine about 2.5 hours behind yours...I just could not let my pic go! mY prECiOuSSssSSSss

Yes, the idea to make optional the pet thing turned out to be a good idea after all, bwahaha!!

In any case...it has just become the 10th of february on the west coast of the states so I'm thinking there will still be plenty of entries coming in. Anyway, I will be posting our works and the links to our high rez files (tell me if you want that taken out)

Anyway, my pic...didn't use either of the thumbs I posted, kinda went all crazy on mine sorta. Shouldn't have, I don't know the first thing about balancing a composition, much less one with this much stuff in it. I just hope everything reads all right. If it's not obvious by now, my creature is inspired by the biblical story of moses and the plague of locusts.

silentbrain vs MrKayne

hi res (working size) (1282x1047)
    http://venimarolka.com/dump/tdome/locusts-lg.jpg

It has been splendid working with you, and against you with much glorious bloodshed to be had by all. Although I wish I'd planned out the design and comp of my pic better, I did feel I learned a lot more than most pics I've done before, and that makes up for all the sleep I lost.

As soon as I post in the final images thread, it's off to visit Mr. Sandman for me!

:chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy crap silent... that's awesome!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man, silentbrain, that is an amazing piece! You know, it almost has a '28 Days Later' feel to it (which is cool). Very nice. I just love your painting style, it' awesome! you've got a great color scheme, too. I especially like the small guy with the sword (backgroud, bottom left). He's just sticking his sword, hoping not to die; little does he know... heheheh.

I don't think there is a thing I could critisize on your piece. Well, it's been fun... a pleasure to battle someone with such talent.

Oh, yeah, and for the OC questions... Painting (physically or digitally) is one of my weaker areas, and I tend to make 'mud' when I try to add various colors. so I guess it was a feeble attempt at keeping the base colors. But, you also have to consider I don't paint, so I also don't know what I'm doing. I have yet to grasp two of the basic painting fundamentals, (1) paint shapes and forms, not lines (2) choosing/using colors.

Last edited by MrKayne; April 28th, 2004 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah...I slept like the dead.

cotron- thank you!

mrkayne- You honor me, dude! It was a pleasure to participate with you too, although I am still sore about losing my arms and legs. Watch out, I'll bite your knees off!

I don't really know how to paint either, although I have tried real paints a little and practice painting using shapes (and also because I'm a cheap Craig Mullins fanboy, haha) For complicated pieces like this though, I like to split value and color into two different stages, doing greyscale first and then a layer set to "color" on top of that, kinda like this fellow has done. Neither quick nor intuitive and lacking some of the cooler painterly effects, but it takes the challenge of trying to balance color and value at the same time and splits them into two easier tasks. Works for my slow brain.

Hope you will continue to tackle painting! You have much strength in lineart that I wish I had, it would be interesting to see what happens when you have both painting and drawing under your belt

28 days later...haven't seen it myself but I heard of it. Trailer looks freaky. o_O Ever since The Blair Witch Project, I've kinda been off put from horror movies. (Jason vs Freddy doesn't count. That was laughs all the way through)

And now, for thunderdome 8: silentbrain vs the midterms
    silentbrain: 0
    midterms: 2094389372058

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.