Thanks

silentbrain vs MrKayne

Okay silentbrain and I have decided, and this shall be improved law:

Topic: A monster or genetically altered animal/creature that is used for warfare.

For this match there will be one final image; the monster can be realistic or completely fantasy. Any medium or programs are allowed. Optionally, a second piece can be created, of a monster or genetically altered animal/creature that is an exotic pet.
    Last edited by MrKayne; January 20th, 2004 at 07:09 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Okay, these are simple sketches, but I think I'm trying to go for a genetically altered animal type of feel. This one is more of the war-type... I'm thinkin' he's got to be vicious enough to not need weapons, but can be able to handle them.

silentbrain vs MrKayne silentbrain vs MrKayne
    Not much yet, but I'm getting a little free time now.

Thanks
    I'm not sure what this one is... war or exotic; it can be exotic and valuable - skin composed of rock/mineral substance. In war, they strap a bomb on it, send it into enemy camp, then boom.
    silentbrain vs MrKayne

okay, silentbrain, how's things on your end? C'mon ya pansy
    silentbrain vs MrKayne

Thanks
    Ah, don't worry about posting it - when I start working digitally, I'll be postin' that too. So, you can just post some WIP then... although I would like to see your sketches, I don't want to make you go through too much trouble, since we have just one month.

Thanks
    Okay, I'm pretty set on one of my creatures... I believe this is the war one (still working on the idea for the other creature, though). I did some more sketches, sorry, I know you can't post, but I'm just letting you see how things are here. Don't worry, should have some digital work next time.

I really like the wings part of him, so I'm trying to work on that.
    silentbrain vs MrKayne

This is the basic composition, just showing the placement.
    silentbrain vs MrKayne

Here's a more detailed sketch of the pose of my creature.
    silentbrain vs MrKayne

Hope your work's going good silentbrain. Been liking your DSG work lately... better be sure to bring that quality to our match!
    :chug:
    Last edited by MrKayne; January 14th, 2004 at 12:55 AM.

Thanks
    *sigh* excuses, excuses...

Anyways, I did a rough color study today... I did it in Open Canvas instead of Painter, 'cause I read about how you can create these mini-movie type things of your process and though it kicked ass, so I gave it a go. The prog's actually pretty decent, so if your workin on a pc, download my process (I'm not a painter, so bear with it)
    [edit - deleted file... been up long enough]

Here's the jpeg of it >
    silentbrain vs MrKayne

(OC website > www.portalgraphics.net)
    Last edited by MrKayne; April 28th, 2004 at 03:59 PM.

Thanks
    Yeah they've got some awesome OC stuff.
    Anywas, I'm liking the color schemes... I kinda like the middle one, the purple/red/grey works well together. As for the design, it's a cool looking start - I like all the bloody teeth and spikes and such.

I'm not sure if my sketches convey what I'm trying to get at, but I'm merging parts of animals into one, somewhat realistic creation. 'course my angle is more of a genetically-tampered-war-animal. I think the flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz were cool, so I knida started with that. It's supposed to have a cat-like torso and legs, with gorilla arms. It's has a little bit of snakeskin or something lining it's back and feet. Oh, and it's head is like a mix of a wild boar/bat/cougar-ish combo. It can even pee standing up if it wants too.

Thanks
    yeah, yeah... I must admit, your excuses are creative.:p I can't lie - I've been procrastinating the shit out of this project too.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you a peek at my creation thus far. I don't want to unveil all of it 'cause I wouldn't want to blow you away... yet (that, and it's not close to done)
    silentbrain vs MrKayne

Thanks
    lol... I posted that pic on the 23rd, but I've only worked on it one day so far. heh, better get on the ball again I guess.

I like that design, it reminds me of this crazy, beefed-up mothra.

Thanks
    Actually, my procrastination caught me too. I was going to work on it last week, but I got sick, so I'm basically hauling ass now. Looks like I'll be working late tonight... heh...

oh, and, I noticed, I was focusing so much on a making a creature, I forgot to make a war-type setting for it, so I gotta try to squeeze that in too. 0_o ...lol, I'm such a dumbass.

Thanks
    Nope, haven't done a thing for the exotic pet. After we *ahem* improved the rules, I just didn't even worry about it. I knew I'd barely make the one drawing... man, we're artists and we're so horribly disciplined, eh?

Yeah, I have absolutly no idea how the deadline works.. they were very vague on that. Either way, I think I finished mine enough... I figure I probably won't discover some amazing artistic vision or talent in the one day anyway. As for posting in the final pics area, if it's no trouble, I don't mind you posting my pic for me. I don't care what the order is, and if you can't decide, just flip a coin.

Well enough yackin'. Good luck on yours... I'm pretty excited to see how and which thumbnail becomes the final piece. Okay, here it is... (I think I had a little too much fun with the blood)
    silentbrain vs MrKayne
    [edit: here the url for this pic so you can post it in the final images > http://www.kaynecomix.com/ca/td_final.jpg]

hi-res version (1500x900ish) > http://www.kaynecomix.com/ca/hi_res.jpg
    Last edited by MrKayne; April 28th, 2004 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks
    holy crap silent... that's awesome!!

Thanks
    man, silentbrain, that is an amazing piece! You know, it almost has a '28 Days Later' feel to it (which is cool). Very nice. I just love your painting style, it' awesome! you've got a great color scheme, too. I especially like the small guy with the sword (backgroud, bottom left). He's just sticking his sword, hoping not to die; little does he know... heheheh.

I don't think there is a thing I could critisize on your piece. Well, it's been fun... a pleasure to battle someone with such talent.

Oh, yeah, and for the OC questions... Painting (physically or digitally) is one of my weaker areas, and I tend to make 'mud' when I try to add various colors. so I guess it was a feeble attempt at keeping the base colors. But, you also have to consider I don't paint, so I also don't know what I'm doing. I have yet to grasp two of the basic painting fundamentals, (1) paint shapes and forms, not lines (2) choosing/using colors.
    Last edited by MrKayne; April 28th, 2004 at 03:57 PM.