I steal my art supplies
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I steal my art supplies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I steal my art supplies

I feel bad for doing it but damn paper and other material are getting so expensive.
    Maybe a sketchbook here or there. Or like pencils. Not a easel or anything.
    Does anyone think art materials are getting a bit expensive. Are there any quality cheap materials out there.
    especially paper.
    i'm a Kleptomaniac!!

Not Pink is offline I swear I'm not who you think I am Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh, when I was going to art school, our art supply rooms weren't well kept. usually a "can I go get some masking tape?" turned into pocketed india ink, nibs, erasers, acrylics. now, I didn't steal all of that stuff just because I could, I'd only take like one-three things a month and only if I needed it, it's still not right, but I'm not a klepto (just a opportunist).

just start getting the 10 dollar sketchbooks from walmart to cut down on those things. usually price is dependent on quality, but you can find good deals around.

I shop at Jerry's Artarama. it usually is a shit-ton cheaper than anywhere else... *cough*pearl*cough*

SKETCHBOOK COMING SOON!

I CANT USE CUSTOM PICTURES IN A SIG?! PREPOSTEROUS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CatConvention View Post
    i'm a Kleptomaniac!!
    You're a jerk.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Craig D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're so desperate then buy a pack of printer paper. That stuff is cheaper than air.

Last edited by B u r l; March 26th, 2009 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When you say "I steal my art supplies", I thought you steal Cintiq!

When you say "so expensive", I thought you need something like this!?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sketchfreak; March 26th, 2009 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With the exception of cartridges and sketch pads and specific things like charcol and paints, I nick pretty much all of my supplies from the stationary cupboard at work.

It's not stealing if you work for the government.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    o_O

Why the hell would I need to steal art supplies? People give away free ballpoint pens and pencils with logos on them, the backside of most cardboard packaging (i.e. cereal boxes, etc) provide a perfectly good drawing surface, and it's not that damn hard to scrounge up the spare change required for a knead eraser or manual pencil sharpener.

In a few hours of baby sitting, tutoring, drawing somebody's RPG character you could easily earn the money for a new sketchpad. Or, as Burl pointed out, an entire pack of printer paper. You don't NEED "nice" art supplies to create art, you just WANT them.

Artists are supposed to be creative...so start thinking creatively on how to EARN supplies instead of making other people pay for your laziness.

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Aphotic Phoenix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artists are supposed to be creative...So make your own tools!

pencil... burn some wood and make charcoal, you can burn tip of the wood to act like pencil!
    paper... draw on cardboard, wall, cigarette box, anatomy books, bible, calendar or anything you have!
    brush... paint with your fingers, sponge, tissue paper, your hair!!
    color... use natural fruits (like pomegranate, blackberry) and olive-oil to make your own!

You can make your own weed too!

You can make pencil by piece of newspaper ... just roll it like joint and press it so hard, then use cutter to make nib ... or use some charcoal to make nib ... I make this for shading!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sketchfreak; March 26th, 2009 at 05:33 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sketchfreak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought everybody drew on printer paper, hell I even make art for clients on printer paper.

But also, if your gonna steal something, why do it for something cheap? Stealing for something you could afford just to spare yourself the extra buck isn't worth the risk and guilt. Next time do it for something expensive. At least make it worth the steal hehe.

Of course I'm joking, I don't encourage stealing, just in case anyone was getting any ideas...

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I honestly feel we're hitting this territory: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/faq..._new_faq_item3

It may not be sofware, but stealing is stealing :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't really think we are. I'm not telling anyone where to steal or that they should. It's actually the other way. I'm asking for alternatives.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm asking for alternatives.
    A job?

Or ask your parents for it. You seem to have a nice haircut and clothes from your myspace pictures, so you don't strike me as being so poor you can't afford a pack of 12p pencils and printer paper...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B u r l For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't really think we are. I'm not telling anyone where to steal or that they should. It's actually the other way. I'm asking for alternatives.
    Sell your computer, it will have two benefits.
    1) Less pointless attentionwhoring on facespace or mybook.
    2) Money for art supplies.

Everybody wins.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Being "broke" is not an excuse to steal... a few years ago I had to live on a cup of rice a day and eggs for almost a month because I couldn't afford anything else to eat, and even then I didn't steal, and the art I did was limited to drawing with what I had. If your priority is art, then you'll give up some "creature comforts" for it... drink water out of the tap, don't go out to eat, don't buy new clothes, find activities that are practically free, etc

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aphotic Phoenix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    maybe the cost of sketchbooks wouldn't be as high if people would stop stealing them...

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Part of it is just accepting that sacrifice is a part of the game. Artists have to sacrifice leisure time to do studies and work on improving, and in the same sense they often have to cut back on extra expenses like dining out, going to the movies, buying the latest game, in favor of supplies- with the purpose of turning an initial investment of supplies into a larger financial gain by creating compelling work that people want to pay for (hopefully more than the cost of supplies). It's not an arrangement that's going to happen right away, or often. Turning relatively inexpensive supplies into more valuable works of art, selling them or doing commissioned work, then rolling some of that profit back into funds for materials is part of the artist's hustle, and in my opinion is part of the fun.

And yeah, it hurts a bit to lay down the cash for an expensive piece of software or some good quality brushes, but it's something one can work up to over time, and at the end of the day it feels good to do it the legit way and conduct business like a professional. In a way it can be an additional motivating force too, it makes one want to work harder and get those jobs or apply to the next call for work to recoup the initial cost.

To quote a great printmaking teacher I had, "It won't always be fun, but it can always be fulfilling."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Buy two beers less per week
    Go on one less bus / car journey per week and walk instead
    Don't buy that bottle of Coke, drink a glass of tap water instead
    Don't buy fast food
    Don't go to cafes
    Buy clothes that are 5% cheaper
    Don't send pointless texts
    Don't buy a mobile phone that costs 4984 and does everything but wipe your ass
    Turn the heating down and put a jumper on
    Sell stuff on ebay instead of chucking it out
    Don't play the lottery
    ...or any one of a thousand other easy options that will make enough savings to buy you all the paper and pencils you'll ever need

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think I've ever thrown out a usable piece of paper... ever. Crinkled and dirty ones are recycled, but now I have a huge cache of lined, graph and regular white paper left over from school. More than adequate for sketches if money gets tight.

On top of that all the scraps of vellum and construction paper left over from projects in school are also horded in my huge portfolio case, along with paint, nibs, old brushes.... christ I think I still have some india ink from 9th grade.

Save save save.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If I do a painting and it doesn't work out, I prime the back of the board/paper and start again. You don't need the best of equipment when you start out; in fact, once you've wrestled with cheap and nasty paints and produced something passable you've probably learned more than you would have using the best brushes, paints and surface.

Instead of stealing from shops, offer to do odd jobs for suppplies.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, traditional drawing and painting isn't that expensive. A regular pencil, ballpoint pen, and printer paper will do...also sometimes the cheap brands of art supplies can be just as good as the more expensive ones. Like I've found that Prang colored pencils are almost as good as the more expensive Prismacolor ones. You can also make your own desk, lightbox, and other tools of trade. And you can shop around at junk stores for old canvases to paint over.

Digital painting and clay sculpting is another matter...the materials are a lot more expensive. I don't think I could crank out quality sculptures with mud dug up from my backyard....lol.

-Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Galka Scheyer amassed a pretty kickass art collection by trading art supplies to the Blue Four in exchange for some of their artworks. If you find somebody who likes your drawings maybe you can swap one for some supplies bought by them.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, but if someone admitted to pirating software even if they're not advocating it, it's a ban. You forget that there are companies that do come here, and even if it's a sketchbook, you could be stealing their brand of sketchbooks. You set a bad example.

Asking for alternatives is like "what are the alternatives when you're hungry" (eating!) "what is an alternative to sleeping" (staying awake)

Please don't play such a mind game here, it's common sense the alternative to stealing is not stealing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok People, I know stealing is a bad thing. And Obviously the alternative is Getting a job/not stealing..
    I don't steal like crazy, that kleptomaniac comment was a joke.

I do have a job but i'm only 16 i don't make alot of money and the money i do make goes to paying for my car, buying my own food, and saving for college since i will have no help from my parents.

This still is no reason to steal, but i was just stating that i have resorted to stealing because i have no money laying around for art supplies.
    The only decent art supply center here is a blick art store and they are really expensive. Plus the drive all the way over there is already expensive.

I know there are other ways to get these things. But to be honest the borders and walmart across the street won't be missing a sketchbook.

But anyways. I will be looking at those materials that you guys suggested. I don't think i have the connections for art swaps just yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyskoa View Post
    Sell your computer, it will have two benefits.
    1) Less pointless attentionwhoring on facespace or mybook.
    2) Money for art supplies.

Everybody wins.
    ouch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All of my art supplies i purchased in one large bundle when a local art store was going out of business (two art stores went out of business in my area, so both times i stocked up, i'm pretty set for the next 10 years). I have 20 sketchbooks which are sitting on my shelf waiting for me to get to, and 5 boxes of various pencils and so on. Paint seems to be the one thing I couldn't save on since the employees of the store bought them all out 5 mins before the store opened for its "going out of business sale".

You don't need to steal, you need to be a smart shopper. If you buy one thing full price and steal another, wouldn't you be better off waiting for the 50% off sale and buy them both? Same cost, 100% more legal.

My work: [link]

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cat; I got enough paints to keep me going for three or four months for 5. I think that's about $3. Not the best quality, but good enough. You can get offcuts of plywood from your local DIY store for next to nothing and prime them. It'll cost you pennies at most.

Get caught stealing and you'll get a criminal record and a bad reputation that you'll wish you didn't have when you do apply to college or try for a job. Back off now; there are other ways to do this.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok People, I know stealing is a bad thing. And Obviously the alternative is Getting a job/not stealing..
    I don't steal like crazy, that kleptomaniac comment was a joke.

I do have a job but i'm only 16 i don't make alot of money and the money i do make goes to paying for my car, buying my own food, and saving for college since i will have no help from my parents.

This still is no reason to steal, but i was just stating that i have resorted to stealing because i have no money laying around for art supplies.
    The only decent art supply center here is a blick art store and they are really expensive. Plus the drive all the way over there is already expensive.

I know there are other ways to get these things. But to be honest the borders and walmart across the street won't be missing a sketchbook.

But anyways. I will be looking at those materials that you guys suggested. I don't think i have the connections for art swaps just yet.
    Dude, I save pieces of cardboard from mailings that people send. I draw on the back of scrap paper during my lunch break at work when I feel like doing that rather than reading a book. I frigging pull out old receipts and a pen and draw on the back of them while waiting in line. You don't need anything fancy at all to create art. Hell, I'm the kind of person who draws on the tables of Macaroni Grill because they have the paper tabletop covering and crayons. I use a pack of unused printer paper from my college days for my studies.

Most of my money goes towards health insurance, car payments, car insurance, church tithes, and helping out the family. To make that sacrifice in order to purchase my art supplies (sketchbooks mostly - what a surprise), I've stopped mass-ordering CDs and books from Japan. I've cut back on my video games and if I do buy, they're used. I spent my hard-earned dollars on things that will help, like the ImagineFX magazines, graphic novels that pique my interest, and concept art books for video games and movies. I bought the full working copy of Open Canvas, which was a damn good investment.

As for your casual attitude towards Borders and Wal-Mart not missing "a sketchbook", have you heard of inventory? That's several more dollars there that they might have made that would allow them to keep workers paid and their companies running. If everyone thought "it's only a sketchbook - no one's going to miss it", companies everywhere would be losing money because of people unwilling to pay for what they want. You want it - pay for it.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i'm only 16
    Boy are you going to feel stupid in a few years when this thread is still here.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

37. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Constructive comment:

There are plenty of bargains out there, not to mention all of the other helpful suggestions that others have made.

What you really need to hear:

Art suppliers exist to provide artists with the tools they need to work. A lot of them are struggling to make it in this economy and people like you are only adding to the problem. Quit being selfish and immature. Find a way to afford what you want instead of taking it. Don't make up any stupid excuses for your poor behavior. Stealing is stealing, whether you can afford it or not. The company that you are ripping off certainly doesn't make a distinction.

39. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Grendel Grack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Boy are you going to feel stupid in a few years when this thread is still here.
    Ah, the joys of youth!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1