Corel Painter Or Adobe Photoshop?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Corel Painter Or Adobe Photoshop?

What do you prefer and why? If you use another program, what is it? And why do you prefer it?

Just confused between Painter and Photoshop, I've come to learn that Painter is actually more about... Well, painting. And photoshop in my mind is more about graphics. I know that PS, can be used for painting. Obviously. So which is it? Why?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I prefer Photoshop because I like the brushes more, I can work on the same painting in 2 windows at the same time, and because it has a navigator window. Painter, on the contrary, feels a bit unhandy to me, has only one window per painting and has no navigator, therefore I haven't used it for years.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    For me, nothing comes remotely close to Painter for digital painting (notwithstanding the flawed offering of Painter 11).

Thanks
    i think this depends more on your technique, ps is more of a transparent "build up" style while painter is a more or less opaque and blending transitions kind of style. i wouldn´t say either is better, but i prefer painter as i come from a traditional background and paint more or less opaquely.

its time to knuckle down and really lick boot!
    LOOK MOMMY! I laid a sketchbook!
    My Blog

Thanks
    I use Photoshop ... because more precisely, friendly UI, high performance, easy brush editor, lots of plug-ins and filters!

- If you want something to simulate traditional medium with natural color blending, or you can't paint without sense of natural oil and wet watercolor .... Corel Painter is for you!

- If you want more digital and precisely workflow beyond traditional tools, like play with "flow" and "opacity" to blending colors ... Photoshop is for you!

- If you have enough money and you are serious about digital art, you most try both, because you need both!!

There is all depend on your choice and your work!
    Download Trial and check both to find your own!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchfreak View Post
    I use Photoshop ... because more precisely, friendly UI, high performance, easy brush editor, lots of plug-ins and filters!

- If you want something to simulate traditional medium with natural color blending, or you can't paint without sense of natural oil and wet watercolor .... Corel Painter is for you!

- If you want more digital and precisely workflow beyond traditional tools, like play with "flow" and "opacity" to blending colors ... Photoshop is for you!

- If you have enough money and you are serious about digital art, you most try both, because you need both!!

There is all depend on your choice and your work!
    Download Trial and check both to find your own!
    Yeah, I have tried both. I prefer Photoshop, it's more precise, Painter is very good if you want your normal traditional feel. (which I dont) I hate painting in real life.

Thanks
    Painter is better for mimicking real-media techniques. I would like to experiment with it more, but only have a copy of Photoshop for now. I had an old version of Painter years back and it seemed cool. I'd like to try it again now I'm a bit more familiar with actual painting, but just don't have the cash.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FlameRaven View Post
    Painter is better for mimicking real-media techniques.
    not necessarily, you could say that painters brushes feel more like traditional media but the same effects can and often are achieved in ps, look at jamie jones, zhu zhu, craig mullins. loads of ppl use ps for painterly work

its time to knuckle down and really lick boot!
    LOOK MOMMY! I laid a sketchbook!
    My Blog

Thanks
    After trying Painter again recently I was a bit disappointed, because it didn't feel as intuitive as I remembered, and doesn't run very well on my current machine. (Not blaming the program for machine performance, it's just practically unusable for me without a hardware overhaul) I really do like the color mixing and blending abilities of Painter, but also like the challenge of working towards a more painterly effect in PS (Rather far away from that goal atm heh).

If I had to go with only one program, it would be PS since it has such a wide range of application. If you can afford both however, Painter does have plenty of it's own strong points.

Thanks
    I think it was Andrew Jones who mentioned that "Photoshop is good at giving you exactly what you want, Painter is good at giving you things you didn't quite know you want", which struck me as a great observation.

I preffer Painter (9) for painting (because it's fun), PS for everything else. They complement each other perfectly, too.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,277 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insect666 View Post
    I think it was Andrew Jones who mentioned that "Photoshop is good at giving you exactly what you want, Painter is good at giving you things you didn't quite know you want", which struck me as a great observation.
    he also said:
    "it should never be about photoshop versus painter, or one or the other. what i've learned is every time i add a new tool to my arsenal the possibilities exponentially increase on top of each other."

i use photoshop, indesign, illustrator, painter, opencanvas, painttool sai, alchemy, and the epic mspaint.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,441 Times in 3,653 Posts
    I use Serif DrawPlus X2. It’s vector based. I love the way it infills incomplete areas, allowing me to scribble away freely. Dogwaffle is a great little programme to paint with as the different textures react fairly realistically – the pastels and watercolours are really nice; should use it a lot more. Just got Serif’s PhotoPlus X2 a while back and it has some interesting possibilities.

Thanks
    I use both, although right now, I am leaning more on Photoshop, since I feel I have a better grasp of it than Painter. I use Painter when I want to experiment on styles.

Members who have read this thread: 3