Thread: Giant Robot Bug

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Giant Robot Bug

Name:  ChrisOatley_RobotMantis.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  124.6 KB

I’ve been spending a lot of time working on a series of children’s books for Simon and Schuster. The books are pretty fun and they are an interesting technical challenge.

However, sometimes when I have to produce a lot of cuteness for an extended period of time, the nerd in me starts to get rowdy. ...and there always comes a point where he just has to break free.

And once again he did. Last Thursday morning. I took about three hours at the beginning of the day and just started painting with the intent to soothe the nerd. I did not plan anything. I had nothing in mind when I started. I just opened a blank file and started drawing on my Cintiq.

Then, tonight, I put some finishing touches on it and called it ‘done.’

I did most of the work with my ‘Daisuke_Wild’ brush (which is available as a free download in the RESOURCES section of my site http://chrisoatley.com ).

I moved very quickly and spontaneously because I have been recently inspired by the loose, painterly styles in which the amazing Hethe Srodowa and David Hong work.

Looking at the finished piece, it could be even more spontaneous. This is probably because I am really sleepy this evening and I tend to work more tightly when I need sleep. Its hard to sustain a visceral approach to painting over an extended period of time or throughout multiple sessions with the same piece. That’s something I’m going to be chasing after this year.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this super-fast piece. Thanks in advance. You good people always leave such fantastic feedback!

New blogs or podcasts at ChrisOatley.com EVERY MONDAY!

Chris Oatley
    Visual Development Artist and Content Creator For Films and Television

http://www.chrisoatley.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, this is my first ever official welcome to a new member! So, welcome and thanks for joining, cause your art is great! I just got done surfing your website and found all the goodies you post(ed). I just scratched the surface, but the tutes and the timelapses are awesome.

I'd still be there but my daughter says I have to do the dishes (She's turning 13 next week). In any case I really enjoy this painting and I look forward to seeing more. Also, I plan on tuning into one of your "broadcasts" as soon as I am able.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Doolittle For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.