Art: Doctor Who animation (no, it's not CG or 3D) - UPDATE!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Doctor Who animation (no, it's not CG or 3D) - UPDATE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon Doctor Who animation (no, it's not CG or 3D) - UPDATE!

Hand-drawn art is not dead, even if it's done in Photoshop!
    Here's some clips of a Doctor Who I'm working on in 80s anime style.
    Yes, I know most people on Conceptart don't consider anime real art (and modern crap like Naruto and One Piece certainly isn't) but still...

Oh, click the HQ button for High Quality, obviously. Unless you like pixels.

Last edited by Paul "Otaking"; April 24th, 2009 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Updated with new animation
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy crap thats alot of work.
    The drawings really hold thier forms well. I think it would benifit alot from you taking more time aside to get into your charachters heads. They don't seem to be thinking so much as moving around mindlessly settling in dynamic (tasty) poses.

Also The overlapping action on that throw at the end of the begginning fight needs some serious work. That scene is really nice, but the throw at the end doesn't look finished. (I realize you may not be done with that section yet)

Also, um copywrite infringement? Am I wrong here? I most certainly might be, but... Unless you plan on doing absolutely nothing with this once its finished (except for loading it into your demo reel) isn't that like...fineworthy?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Otaking" View Post
    Yes, I know most people on Conceptart don't consider anime real art (and modern crap like Naruto and One Piece certainly isn't) but still...
    So basically tou are as prejudiced as the people you’re writing a disclaimer about? Anyways, on the main topic…

First segment; His back is a bit too stiff. You could have much more dynamic posing during the throw over the shoulder and fun with timing.

Second segment: The jog is from a jogging in place reference?

Purple explosion segment; waaay too much vibration in the color and lines. Check out some references of other FX animators. Need links?

The whole fleet sequence is AWESOME!

By the way, what have you been using to colour this by the way? Everything still in photoshop? I know Painter 6 could help for that, Retas, etc…

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Otaking" View Post
    I know most people on Conceptart don't consider anime real art (and modern crap like Naruto and One Piece certainly isn't) but still...
    If anybody, anywhere tells that you that anime isn't art, then you might do well to disregard anything else they have to say about art.

First of all, holy shit, that is a lot of work. Totally impressed that you were able to go through with it.

Agree with Egerie on the fleet sequence, works very nicely.

I don't want to be negative about anything here because you've done a mountainous amount of work, it's very impressive.

However, improvements can always be made, and I would say to get some good books about drawing, animation and film and do some serious studying. You've already got the determination and work ethic, if you make an effort to study the important technical foundations of drawing, animation and film, you will go a long, long way.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work so far, overall very impressive! I really could not imagine doing all that on my own, nor doing it so well. You've already surpassed quite a few animation studios' major releases at this stage in your studies. I've only hung around a few animators, and I don't do it myself, so there's little advice to pass along.

That said, I see some visible disparity in coloring between frames. The lone 3 frame laughing loop involving, er, evil guy, is very noticeably sporadic in its lighting, and sometimes your shadowing is somewhat of a mystery. I agree about the throw animation, it just looks unfinished.

And I'm out of constructive things to say. Have a pat on the ass about those Daleks and the fleet scene, they're absolute eye candy. Keep on truckin' on this, I'm actually giddy about the final product.

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool man, insanely impressive!

I do have a critic though if you don't mind. I feel the sharpness in the scenes makes it hard find focus.

Good luck on this project, it's very cool. showed a bunch of people at work and they thought it was cool too.

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    also some of the animators at work want to know what version of photoshop are you using?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by batcustard View Post
    Also, um copywrite infringement? Am I wrong here? I most certainly might be, but... Unless you plan on doing absolutely nothing with this once its finished (except for loading it into your demo reel) isn't that like...fineworthy?
    Aha! Well, I'm going to send it to the BBC when I'm done and see if they want to do anything with it. If not, then it's just a fan thing. I never intended to make any cash out of it... my agenda was to show that Doctor Who could be done in (proper, old school) anime style, and, perhaps more importantly to me, to prove to "new anime" fans that one man can draw more detailed and better shaded anime than an entire Japanese studio can today.

Quote Originally Posted by egerie View Post
    So basically tou are as prejudiced as the people you’re writing a disclaimer about?
    Not really. I back my claims up with empirical evidence. If you have a million hours spare, take a look at this: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=83119

But those links you mentioned would be appreciated, explosion-wise!

Quote Originally Posted by HunterKiller_ View Post
    If anybody, anywhere tells that you that anime isn't art, then you might do well to disregard anything else they have to say about art.
    Agreed! Though, as stated, I do hate the modern style with a passion...

Quote Originally Posted by davi View Post
    also some of the animators at work want to know what version of photoshop are you using?
    Thanks for the encouragement! I'm using Photoshop CS2!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is pure awesomeness! I love Doctor Who and this just looks amazing, especially the Daleks, Cybermen and Davros of course! Looking forward to a full 30min episode

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Very interesting.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My feelings about anime aside, I think this is really well done. It's obvious you've put alot of thought and effort into this project. My only critique is purely from a character standpoint. I like your action sequences, but the hand to hand fighting and amount of combat i'm seeing doesn't really seem to fit the Doctor's personality. In other words, he's far too clever to fight.

ps... You're Cybermen are fantastic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    John K get out of this body!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anybody that says anime isnt art is in denial. the poses and animation look good, it all comes together nicely. with the exception of the girl the rest of the characters lean more towards an american style. instead of an anime style as far as character design goes. is that just your take on anime

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey this is awsome, just one thing i wanted to point out. and it has NOTHING to do with the art style. I couldn't do a 2d animation as well as you do so i'm not going to throw anything around there.

But I have to agree with MikeThompson. The Doctor doesn't get into fights, seriously. THe BBC producers and writers for the show make sure he doesn't in fact. I think they ever reference a bit of it in the live action show, he's a general, at the very least he comands and controll the battle, he doesn't participate in it.

He only engages in death and violence when it's the only option left. He might pull the lever that destroys pompie, but ONLY because it's the only way to save the world. Your action scene where he actually invites violence/fighting was quite "blah" for me jsut because it wasn't the doctor's character that we have all come to know and love. Infact it makes him seem alot weaker then he actually is.

Besides as he showed in "the family of blood" when the doctor decides to fight He's just too powerfull. What makes the show so great is that he chooses NOT to fight even when he could easily win if he so choose.

I could Rant forever about Doctor who, i'm alittle obsessive about him XD but as for your art and animation it's awsome. There's some parts where it just doesn't seem natural (like the running segment) for someone who is supposidly sprinting away fromt eh Dahlek they're very upright, at top speed they would be leaning forward quite a bit. OTher than that it's awsome ^^

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fllnfalcon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea i saw this on yout tube great stuff bro really amazing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very, very impressive.
    The animation is very smooth; I can't begin to imagine how much hours of work are in this short movie.

It's just that I was under the impression the good Doctor was against violence in every way so to see him beat up those thugs was rather strange. Apart from that it was awesome. I especially liked the scenes with the Daleks. You just can't beat Daleks. Not to mention how beautiful and shiny you made them.

asks humbly for your opinion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To all those complaining about the Doctor seeming to be out of character, the third Doctor (which Otaking has used in this animation ) in the old series did quite abit of fighting, even if it completely departed from the character of the first and second Doctors. (Since then, the show's stuck to the more pacifist characterisation of the Doctor since, which I personally think makes the show special)

Anyway nice work Otaking, I saw the rough sketches for this on DA a while ago and it's interesting to see how you've developed it.

Last edited by Kagemusha22; April 12th, 2009 at 05:40 PM.
    My sketchbook, if you really want to see it...

"Picasso is a painter, so am I;... Picasso is Spanish, so am I; Picasso is a communist, neither am I." - Salvador Dali

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kagemusha22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome artwork, but I can't help but feel that you're missing some of the underlying principals. The animations don't seem to have weight to them, and even in the roughs it seems a bit disjointed and choppy.

The fight scene at the start isn't fighting so much as a punch here and there interrupted by a giant anime style flash of light.

Sorry for being a bit harsh, but it just doesn't flow as well as it could, seeming rigid as if you were afraid of making a large number of frames or seriously changing the character's pose beyond a slight bend here and there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work! Highly appreciated
    Say, I too am a big fan of 2d hand-drawn animation
    and I'm truly interested in your work process.
    So.. you've painted it all in photoshop, but where did you make
    it a smooth animation?

You are more than welcome to pm me with your msn messanger

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 Times in 3,594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    An excellent beginning. I agree with the comments about the Doctor’s character, but it looks like you’re having fun with it.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a Dalek/Cyberman ship-to-ship battle. Sorry - haven't animated the Cybermen bridge yet, but there are plenty of Daleks to look at (which are a bitch to animate!)
    The attachments feature keeps timing out on me, so here's a direct download link.
    http://www.deviantart.com/download/1...htyOtaking.wmv

evilagram - I'm experimenting a bit with motion capture at the moment, so we should see a marked improvement in terms of smooth movement, hopefully. The trouble is, for one man to animate 100 frames takes me a few weeks and the results is two seconds' worth of animation! -_____-;

liolev - I use Gif Movie Gear - nothing fancy. I draw it in Photoshop, animate in Movie Gear, shade in JASC Animation Shop and compile/greenscreen onto backgrounds in Sony Vegas.
    I'm learning a lot, and learning to really love Vegas, I can tell you.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Paul "Otaking"; April 24th, 2009 at 12:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Impressive love the patience you put in for this project!!
    The trouble is, for one man to animate 100 frames takes me a few weeks and the results is two seconds' worth of animation! -_____-;
    hahaha your a madman, keep it up

Yo Yo YO Panel of the Week POW

Needs Critique CrimsonBows

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...Here's another few seconds of animation.

http://www.deviantart.com/download/1...htyOtaking.avi

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.