General Guidance

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy General Guidance

Hi everyone-

I like drawing a lot, but for the past couple of years, I've wanted to get better at drawing. Like, way better. Like, much better than I thought I could be. I've never really been satisfied with how I draw, and I don't think I ever will be. But I'd rather try than just settle or only barely get better. So last week, I took a new sketchbook and decided to use it to practice drawing and to keep a record to see how far I can make it in one sketchbook.

My goal for this is to get better at rendering objects, people and landscapes/buildings, basically just getting better in general. but I found out that I don't really know how to start, or where to go. All of my drawing up to this point has been practicing by myself and out of 'how to draw' books, and now that I want to get better, I don't know which direction to go in.

That said, I was hoping this forum might be able to help me out. I've jabbered on too much, so let me show you what I've started with:

I started my sketchbook with Andrew Loomis' book, 'Fun with a Pencil'.

General Guidance

General Guidance

General Guidance

The concept of using basic shapes to construct things is a concept I'm very familiar with, but I seem to lose my grip of understanding it as soon as it moves from 'circles and squares' to a more realistic construction of a head and neck. Am I simply not spending enough time getting familiar with the concept?

General Guidance

General Guidance

General Guidance

Here I started working on basic bodies and poses, but I seem to run into the same problems; when it gets more complicated than just a couple of shapes, everything seems to fall apart. Limbs don't look right, line of action, (which is another concept I've never been able to fully grasp for some reason) is all off, and proportions seems to just stop making sense.

General Guidance

General Guidance

The latest thing I tried doing was visiting the Posemaniacs website and using the 'speed drawing' tool where you have 30 seconds to draw a random pose. I think this one totally fell apart on me, since everything ended up being really sloppy and not looking at all like it was supposed to. I don't know if I'm really doing it right or not though.

That's my sketchbook so far. Any advice anyone can give will be extremely helpful and appreciated. I don't know if I'm having trouble grasping these concepts or if it's just simply trying to run before I learn how to walk.

Thanks for taking a look and for any help or wisdom you're willing to impart!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there!
    I'm glad you're doing all these exercises. You're in the wrong forum however and this should be in the sketchbook thread, I'm sure one of the moderators will help

As for general guidance all I can say right now is keep on practicing, you have a good sense of line and form. Do some anatomy studies as well.

Good luck !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shoot, I was afraid of that. If someone could put it in the proper forum, I'd appreciate it!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.