Sketchbook: Karein's Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Karein's Sketchbook

Newest work is on the last pages ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I also have a few studies containing nudity. Please note that.

Well here is my attempt at a second sketchbook after my first one died some time ago. I'm planning to keep this one alive by posting my work that I am doing for my Diploma of Fine Arts. I really want to follow my progress with this one.

Just a quick Intro, I'm Karein, 23 and a female artist wannabe in Sydney. Have always drew, Recently become obsessed with refining my drawing skills lol. So, I will probably base most of my work in Trad for the movement, Until I am a little more confident to move into Digital.

Anyhow, here is some art

The first piece is a still life in Prisma. Second is a life drawing and a referenced image from the cover of GUP magazine (Issue 17) and the third is an A1 drapery study that drove me nuts 0_0 Cover the whole page in Vine Charcoal and then used an eraser to cut back the highlights. Lol. I don't think I have ever been so dirty....

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Karein; December 6th, 2012 at 12:57 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff, I love the fabric study! I'm sure it was a huge mess! but the result is far from messy at least ;D
    Since you've been tutoring me with values, I've been practicing a lot with making sure I get good values so thank you! It took me a while to understand what limited values were but I finally figured it out.

I love the eye on that portrait, so pretty

4. The Following User Says Thank You to amianna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry I'm not to great with my teachings though lol. Still learning myself, so I'm kinda just like, 'push them more!' Lol. I'm hopeless. But thanks for dropping By Amianna

I have a bit of a junk/ dump post now, It's all unsorted work, which annoys me, but it is all recent. I will try to be a bit more consistent with my postings, but I would rather get this all done now in one hit

I'm trying to focus a little on Observation at the moment, So all are from Life, Except the last one which was Photo referenced for a Painting I am currently working on, and the Gestures of course

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aah the door is awsome, love the style.
    and hello karein, hang in there.
    see you!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Philipp Scherer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, the drapery's awesome. I like the little booklet pencil sketches too.

More please :-)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexTooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks HerrleerzeichenS, I'm glad you like the door, My teacher really likes that one as well. He thinks it's an artwork on it's own lol. Thanks for stopping by

Thanks for stopping by Alex, I'm glad you enjoyed what I have here so far

A few random things today, not alot though. Been very busy, mainly doing larger works, and been terribly stressed out for personal reasons. The first piece is an A1 Still life I had to do today, In Conte. Second a Life drawing in my Moleskine with a sharpie. The third is a still life I need to pull apart and make a cubist work for my next painting, and the last is the actual painting of the door at the moment. (If it looks like I am doing anything wrong with the painting let me know lol. It's my first time doing something like this and I have had little to no practice with Oils :/)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New stuff for today. The first two were from my class this afternoon. We were supposed to do a quick hand drawing using our whole bodies for the work. We had to use two or more A1 sheets, which was really fun. I've never worked on such a big scale before. These were both around 20 minutes, Charcoal and Conte. I wasn't very focused on the anatomy, I know But this one was more about enjoying myself and the physicality behind it

The second one is a page out of my sketchbook from last night. Doing ccsears Ink tutorials. The last two are just from a 'random' image search on google All using a fine tip pen. I'll scan the image sometime over the weekend, so please excuse the photo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do get the impression you enjoyed the quick hand exercise, and very nice pen hatching you got going. Keep up the good work, oh and the kicking poses from Post #3 are the best.

Sketchbook

Insert very insightful quotes here ...
    - get back to work!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to strings For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by Strings. I did enjoy the hands, doing my diploma is actually making me stop myself from being so critical of my work, and taking everything so seriously and perfectly. The teacher's I have are great, they keep pushing me

Well here we have another longer post, Due to more stupid circumstances stuffing me around. Anyhow, long story short, I had some douche bag run into my car while I was waiting to turn at the lights yesterday, My car needed to be towed and currently at the smash repairers, so no car, and to make matters worse, the only injury I got, was on my goddamn drawing hand! Gah. It's driving me nuts. But hey, Today I found out I am ambidextrous
    The first page of referenced figures are from CharacterDesigns.com, 2nd and 3rd are from Drawing-Tutorials-Online. (The first Which I done this morning, to test out my hand)
    The rest are really just work from school, and a few doodles. Oh, and the crappy cubism work is for my painting class.

Last edited by Karein; April 14th, 2009 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some nice studies. I'd try and get away from putting a solid outline around the life drawings, really limits how far you can take the rendering. The page with all the faces is great tho, more of that.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to wookiedabo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by wookiedabo I get what you mean with the lines, I will try to take a little more care with them, On the last five pictures they were intentional, as I was using my left hand for the first time, and really wanted to try and control the line as best as possible. I had so much trouble trying to control the weight of those lines, So I will have to practice with my left incase another injury happens lol. I'm glad you like the faces though, I'll get that piece finished and do a few more

Not too much today, we had a really weird set up with flowers and skeletons and material yesterday, So the work is a little random. The first two are prelim studies for a triptych we had to do, and I ended up not really caring what I done for the actual piece. It was all letting loose the stress from this week really. Tom Waits is god when It comes to putting me in the right frame of mind for my work lol. I will need to get more of his albums.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good skeching habit.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bharat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Bharat

I spent the whole day last Friday doing life drawing at a gallery, and here are some of the better results - The first two pages were three minute poses, the last three were 25 minutes each.

I really should update a little more often.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep pushing those studies Karein's!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Kidault, I sure will

This one is from this weeks Figure Drawing Class. We started with Gestures, and then the teacher wanted us to do a large (A1) study with Progresso of the models face. Particularly trying to avoid line, and just let loose and focus on tonal ranges. I quite like the end result. Sorry for the extremely crappy photo of the finished work, I will get a new photo next lesson. The first photo is just really for comparisson.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a little update. Drawn in my diary, as it was all I had on hand while I was waiting at the doctor's today, of the other patients around me. Mainly been working on a cubist painting for school. Will post more tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few small studies this time, for school. Mainly Architecture (from the book, Art and History of Florence. ), considering I know nothing about lol. The last two are just doodles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff Karein, hah do more, more! I found the concept of the man and women models together bonding quite great! Must of been one of the more interesting model sessions?

Really push thoughs values! Remember everything is realative to each other, with in the composition. I found once I started adding in toned backgrounds to my drawings then I suddonly was able to go alot darker. I think it has something to do with how we userally work on white but, people useally draw so lightly when there learning hah!

-Dylan

27. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexEh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Karein, glad you messaged me about a sketch group. I noticed that your work is very sketchy and has alot of hard outlines. I would try either some different techniques with crosshatching or even try smudging a little more. I don't think it is a bad thing to have the paper texture show but it does take away from some of your work I think. Reason being is because I get lost between values. Keep drawing from life and continue to do so. I enjoy your stuff I just want to see more!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Samuel Gray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there..

what stands out at me right now is the outlining of everything, especially those people in your day planner that you did from life. try looking at light and shadow and being confident with the first line you draw, and only using line where absolutely necessary instead of using the exact same line for every aspect. pick an area to develop more? maybe use a pencil so you can explore tone a little without the boldness of ink.. and i always suggest doing blind contours.. they do so much for line sensitivity.. and they are so much fun

31. The Following User Says Thank You to amarryth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Dylan thanks for stopping by The modeling session was a lot more interesting than a typical one, by a long shot, a little harder too, because we couldn't really go very far trying to get two people on the paper in 25 minutes lol.
    Thanks for the tip, I will start trying to push them a little more, I really like the idea of darkening around the work itself

Hey Samuel, sorry for the crappy paper quality lol. Nah, it's just the sketchbooks I have to use for school I'll try to find a way around that I have recently tried to tidy my works up, and I'm trying out a few things with crosshatching as well, There are a few bad self taught habits i need to break out of. I tend to be afraid of smudging as well lol. Very bad habit I won't even touch a drawing with my fingers, looks like I will have to start carrying around a set of tissues with me all the time.

I will definitely work on some contours ammaryth, I tend to focus on a little on line, because I'm comfortable with it. I'm going to have to try and push away from that.

Anyhow, I thought I would post a few of my older works tonight, as I haven't finished the studies I wanted to post for today. Tomorrow I will post those and the cubist painting I'm still working on

The first one is a referenced work from '07 (All of these can be found on my deviantart) In Lead, The second is a Charcoal Master Cheif I drew for my partner a while ago. The third is a Study of Michelangelo's Pieta I had done for my portfolio lat year in Conte Crayon, and the last is a Prismacolour work drawn for my partner for his 21st, Referenced from a Photograph by Bill Henson, his Fave Photographer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Karein, youve done alot of really great stuides! Its really good to see you are working hard I think that you should try flexing your creative muscles though. Dont just do studies, draw from your mind, even if you are using reference, make alterations and make it your own.

Keep up the good work and keep on posting!

*New Sketchbook* Come stop by :3

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

I am currently looking for a mentor to help me improve my sketch book. Either that or lots of crits and suggestions to help me improve my skills.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Newman101 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm mostly just going to comment on what you said, as what i said before still applies

stay afraid of smudging.. don't get any tissue or anything to smudge with. get a set of pencils with a variety of soft and hard lead. learn how to use those to get a wide tonal range. one of the best things i learned in high school art was to not allow myself to rely on anything but my pencils to create tone of any kind.. it will keep your work cleaner and your handling of materials gains a wonderful sensitivity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by Newman I understand what you mean, I just get such a block sometimes when I try to work from imagination, I always feel it's never going to work out. But, after going through your sketchbook, I was inspired to do a piece a little along the lines of your warhammer one lol. My inner nerd kicked in, and I had a go at drawing my character from Oblivion (Nerd, I know ) and I was a bit more comfortable with it because it was something I am rather familiar with, and I highly enjoyed doing. I suppose It's just a hurdle in my head I need to get over. I was also practicing my line quality a little with that one. Not too sure If I succeeded, but It was fun, none the less.

Well I'm glad my fear was justified Amarryth. I have always tried to steer clear of it, even when our teachers try to push it a little at school. I guess just the whole wrecking the piece because of oils got to me. I also found when I looked at alot of portraiture on deviantart (this was like a year or so ago now) I found that the extremely photo realistic images looked flat and shiny, which I rather disliked. What is the point of a portrait if it looks exactly like a photo? Hmm... Sorry rambling lol.
    I did a few contours, as a trial but not many to start off with. I am goint to try and get some done daily though.

Crud post really, just moreso an update. Oblivion Char, 1st set of contours, second attempt at contours (looked at it a little much though, was getting flustered by all the movement, done at a cinema) and just a few studies from the cinema as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good contours! try blindly doing something very complex.. and also really think about how hard your pressing into the paper, but alot of effort into varying your line weight in a logical way.. yay!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Ammaryth I know I should stick with pencil, and I will, but for some weird reason I felt like trying watercolour. Never tried it really before, but i thoroughly enjoyed trying this, and I will do more (In self portraits really lol. My little sister asked me to do her one of her though). I will go back to pencil tomorrow, but I tried a Blind contour, Photo Ref in Ink and watercolour.

It's so hard not to look while your doing them. I tried my hardest not too, though I did peek a few times. I will have to try and break that habit over the next few weeks.
    Then there is a study of the pelvis I drew, Photo referenced.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! I like your recent updates. I really like your folds in your clothing and the last bone study. If anything your faces are really weak with proportions. Example would be the pirate girl, her face seems a little squished and elongated. Also, the Mary statue seems like her face if turned toward us would be a little too much of an upside down triangular shape. I hope that makes sense. One thing that I sometimes try when doing faces at an angle is to visualize myself turning the actual face towards me and back the other way and also to use a mirror and look at your piece by having it flipped can really help you notice your mistakes. Keep working hard I enjoy your stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Studies are paying of already. Good job.
    I really like your portrait work!

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good one...!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An essence of good study. Keep up this habit. Have you finished that door painting? I'm eager to see how this turns out.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3