Sketchbook: Karein's Sketchbook - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Newman101 is offline The destroyer of assorted cheese wedges Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Karein View Post
    Thanks for stopping by Newman I understand what you mean, I just get such a block sometimes when I try to work from imagination, I always feel it's never going to work out. But, after going through your sketchbook, I was inspired to do a piece a little along the lines of your warhammer one lol. My inner nerd kicked in, and I had a go at drawing my character from Oblivion (Nerd, I know ) and I was a bit more comfortable with it because it was something I am rather familiar with, and I highly enjoyed doing. I suppose It's just a hurdle in my head I need to get over. I was also practicing my line quality a little with that one. Not too sure If I succeeded, but It was fun, none the less.
    You did fine with it Honestly, the point of drawing from the imagination (IMO) is no really to create masterpieces but just to work out drawing from our mind. Because, just like we need practice in drawing from life, we need practice from drawing from our mind. Ive seen plenty of people that did nothing but draw what was in front of them and they could never be creative enough to do things from their head even if they wanted to.

So, keep at it and keep going You'll do great

*edit*

Oh and arent we all nerds? C'mon, were artists The world would be much more boring without nerds!

*New Sketchbook* Come stop by :3

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

I am currently looking for a mentor to help me improve my sketch book. Either that or lots of crits and suggestions to help me improve my skills.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo Hoo. Wasn't expecting to make it to page two, and I wasn't expecting so many responses lol. Anyhow, only have a cheater post today, Attempts at Blind Contours again (Ehh, attempts remember? lol) But I quite enjoyed them. I was sitting at the doctor's waiting to get my hand examined when I drew them. I have also taken to just sticking watercolour anywhere I feel like on the page.

Samuel, Thanks, I am glad you like them I know what you mean with the faces, Those ones grouped together in the finished works are quite old though, but I will do a bunch of skull studies myself, and will watch the proportions a little more closely. Thanks ^^

Thanks Janos, It's great to hear they are paying off Cheers buddy.

Thanks Bharat, It's nice to see you back

Daemien, Thanks for stopping by, Nah, I haven't finished it yet, but I plan on having it done within the next week, I also have another cubist work I have been working on at the same time, And I hope to have them both finished shortly.

Hello again Newman, I guess your right I will have to try to draw from Imagination more often, Though it is a struggle. But I can only get better Thanks for stopping by again ^^

Ok, and here are the new works. Both Moleskine.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love love love this recent post.. little splashes of watercolour are doing tons for you! looks a little like you might be getting comfortable using single lines? i like. keep variety in your subject matter.. and keep experimenting with media

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Amarryth. I'm glad you like it ^^ Single lines are alot easier for me now, but every time i first start drawing them again, they look chicken scratchy. But at least I keep remembering not to do that now. I love using the watercolour. I never thought it would be so much fun. I guess that is what happens when you limit yourself lol. No more of that.

Here's today's post. First up another contour attempt with watercolour of my partner, Second is a page of faces (the smaller two are from the what does everyone look like thread, and the larger one is off the top of my head). Third is a small life drawing sitting at Max Brenner (Chocolate Shop) from an hour ago. Didn't get to stay there too long, my partner was sick And last is the finished version of my two colour screenprint I have to make on Wed (Final design). Not too happy with the composition. Really should have worked on it more.

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now I wanna have a moleskin, too. i just love the feel of yours.
    At the moment I'm reading a book about sketchbooks ("An illustrated Life", excellent book) and your pages just fit in perfectly with the professional ones. Lovely work, keep going!

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good value studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more more! work on placing your facial features in the right places. I like those colors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These moleskine sketches have lots of flavor! Do you have any finished illustrations?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah.. work on those faces.. i'd like to see some studies of light and shadow.. even simple objects.. keep working on variety.. don't let yourself get too stuck on one media or subject

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the lack of posting. Had a rather stressful few days. My car broke down after the accident, had to get it towed and buy a new battery, and then went into work and found out that I have been made redundant. Oh Joy. So i haven't really been drawing too much, but I will do some tonight.

Postage will be done when I get home.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ease da stress with some drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I'm a day late, but at least I am updating lol.

Thank you Janos, It is lovely to hear that. I'm kind of bummed right now, I filled my first moleskine, and now I am waiting for my new one in the mail because you can't buy them in Australia. It bites. Big Time lol. Thanks for dropping by again though ^^

Thank you Mike

Thanks Samuel. I know I have a bit of a problem with faces, so I decided to start working on my Self Portraits again for study purposes, and I will be drawing plenty of faces over the next few weeks.

Hey Factor, Glad you joined the group I'm glad you like the moleskine work, they are just a new experiment, and I am really enjoying the way they are going, so I plan on developing them more. To be honest, I don't really have any finished illustrations, I'm trying to break out of my using reference for every bit of work i do. I always drew portraits and copies. But I will try and get something up soon

I'll keep those tips in mind Amarryth. I will do a few studies in the next few days.

Your right CamSyko, I really should do it more often. I find the best stress buster for me is Charcoal and large paper. Can't use my large paper though, I need it for school, and no job means no wasting. Oh well. I took your advice anyhow, and got a little out

Anyhow, onto the work. Self Portrait (Not particularly happy with), Weird little doodle as my stress relief, A small study I am doing for school of a Rembrandt work, very early stages And some more Hip Studies for my Draw Prac class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey sorry about your car and everything that has been going on. Hey, its life. Things happen you just have to learn and make the best of em. I have had plentyyyy of car problems haha like explosions in my engine. Anywho, I like your new stuff. Try defining some of your edges with a little leather feathers. The outlines of your figures and the features could use less push sometimes. I am not saying this is a bad thing, but have a good understanding of being light with the pencil with the ability to have certain parts strong is key in bringing out the features you want to stand out more and what you want to go back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, I get what you mean now Samuel. I am having a bit of trouble breaking the habit of lines when I have used them so long, but I will get there soon enough. Do you have any ideas for excercises I could do to try and move me away from the habit? At the moment, I'm just trying not to do them, and It's a little hard lol.

Anyhow, I am catching up on my school work which is great, and I am applying for a job at a local art store tomorrow. Fingers crossed I get something Here's tonight's post. It was a two hour sitting, I'm not too happy with it. I see so many wrongs now It's on the computer . A1 Charcoal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This last sketch is looking pretty strong. When you are using lines, try to vary your line weight a bit more to give more. Mix it up with thick and thin lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving that last sketch, looks great, though i agree with the above comments, keep up the good work.

Sketch back if you'd like...

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The lips in the selfportrait are a bit crooked, check them out!
    The mirror image is nice, and the expression is nice. Good luck with the job,
    I hope you get it.
    Don't really like the geisha. I think its the colours. Work on 'em!

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really like how you render the faces. The baby face thing on the easel is definately looking promising. Maybe more quick studies to free you up, getting the foundation in, say a light structure then build into that. Keep it up! =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Factor, I will try to keep that in mind next lesson

Thanks for dropping by Adammelo, I'm glad you like it

Thanks Janos, I definitely will look into all that stuff, Try and fix them up today or tomorrow. I'm not sure on the geisha's colouring either lol. She was just more of a stress wind downer I will try and work on her a little more, develop the character more.

Thanks for stopping by NewDorling. I do agree, I do tend to spend too much time on drawings, and detail. My figure draw teacher keeps telling me that, but I am beginning to become faster and not so nit picky I will have a go at some faster work and a few basics over the next few weeks.

Anyhow, at the moment, I am mainly working on catching up on my school work, with not alot of time in between. The first few are two paintings for class ( I am still really weary of Oils, I've had little practice with them ), the chick with the helmet is a sculpture I am working on, I intend on making her a wing, with a swans neck encircling her. She's made out of MDF and wood stain so far. The other two are from my new molekine, First is a study after Heinrich Kley.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there, really nice work you have here, what materials do you use, mainly for sketching, what grade of pencil and type of paper, one more question, where did you buy your sketch book?

one love

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there, really nice work you have here, what materials do you use, mainly for sketching, what grade of pencil and type of paper, one more question, where did you buy your sketch book?

one love

my skecthbook

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=157290

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More good stuff I really like viewing your sketchbook. I really need to pile on some anatomy work. Kick me, lol. Great stuff. More....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you do a lot of hard work, and i like the freedom in your work, it looks like you having fun, and not afraid to try new stuff! drawing from life will help you improve a lot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there Ghosd Typically for my sketching I use whatever is on hand, but I will never leave the house without a 4B pencil, and 0.1 waterproof artline pen, and my small watercolour kit. Pencil just really is what suits my mood, I use Prismacolours as well. Most of the time the paper I use is just the generic stuff we have to get for school, Unless it is my moleskine. That's the sketchbook I use all the time. I'm pretty sure you wont have a problem getting on because you are in the UK, but I have to get them off Ebay myself, they don't ship to Australia. Anyhow, here's the website http://www.moleskine.com/choose_your...wing&lang_id=4
    I just use the Large sketch myself. It seems to handle watercolour pretty well.

Ha, I won't kick you Daemien, But I'll stop by your sketchbook every now and again to urge you on ^^ I'm glad you enjoy my sketchbook though

Hey Ajvenema, Thanks for stopping by. I do enjoy what I do at the moment, I am loving every bit of my diploma ^^ I try to draw from life as often as possible, but I only have access to Live model classes for 3 hours a week. Oh well, I'll have a new post from it in a few days

Anyhow, I was sitting at my partners bored, so I did two small studies of Bellinin's work. Charcoal pencil in my moleskine. I was trying to watch myself with the outlines in these ones, I'm not too sure how I feel about them though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A work i started this morning, It's a commission for my sister, it's her and her partner. I'm using to completly seperate photo's for this, so I have to try and manipulate the lighting the right way. Any critiques so far?
    I've spent about 80 minutes on it so far, It's a3, so that's why the extremely crappy photo is used. Sorry.

And Linnaine, if your looking at this, Go away! lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a small post today, First is an attempted contour of my bedroom window, second is Mrs. Potts from Disney, referenced from a toy and third is linework practice of my partner, photo referenced.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    look at you go with the new moleskine.. you're totally putting me to shame!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, Thanks Amarryth, I'm really enjoying having around after going two weeks without lol. I never realised how much I would miss it.

I wasn't feeling well at all in figure drawing today, I ended up having to leave early. My partner gave me a cold Both 25 minutes, second cut back with an eraser. Really not happy with either. :/ Oh well, hopefully I will feel better soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a few small posts today, first is my sculpture wall piece I am working on, second and third are my two first screenprints ever, first being a stencil cut, second was imprinted onto the screen and third is a scribble from last night.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey those pieces look fun, you have a knack for exploring different kinds of mediums. I notice the swan along with the early head piece, perhaps a reference to the 'oogly duckling' short story? Keep it up, so easy to get distracted these days. *cough ahem

Sketchbook

Insert very insightful quotes here ...
    - get back to work!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1