Contest Portfolio-- Character Design Critique Needed please!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Contest Portfolio-- Character Design Critique Needed please!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Contest Portfolio-- Character Design Critique Needed please!

This is a character Design that I have to put in to satisfy the requirements of a scholarship portfolio for college. I'm hoping that it will count as a character design (after all, animals can be character too).

The second face (the front view) was done at a later time than the first one, and I didn't notice that I got the lines too thick to match the other one until I had already finished the entire picture :/

Other than that, is there anything that outright looks bad/needs improvement? All advise is more than welcome and encouraged.

Also, should I put in a side/back view as well (under the front view) or is it fine as it is?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    If what we dream cannot become reality, then let reality become the dream.
    ---------------
    "I won't let my schooling get in the way of my education"
    -Mark Twain
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the first problem that i see with the character design is that the character lacks a body. before submitting this i would serioiusly consider making it more complete with a gesture that would give this character some personality.

the head so far looks good though. the main crit i have (outside of the thicker outline on the right image) is to reduce the additional elements that dont really add to the figure overall. like the gems on one ear and the chain on the other. one or the other maybe but niether seem to add to the composition.

and the black circles around the eyes and snout seem out of place. they are perfect circles which wouldn't be present on fur.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry, i forgot to answer your question. with character design a normal model sheet will have at least a front, side and 3/4 view. to go all out you should add those three plus back and back 3/4 view. plus some expressive gestures and facial expressions(which you have one of already).

the drawing itself look good, but i would like to see more of it. as a portfolio piece this is minimum

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the problem I see is that the base structure of the fox is not defined, almost every facial features is off/floats in space/ has wrong angle. On the left head the eyes are in heavy perspective, the nose is in front view, the fur doesn't follow any rules etc.
    This is because you don't know how this head works in space, a solid construction will help, read up Preston Blair, the books should be freely available on the net, esp. the head construction part.
    Other things that the design looks not good, reading up some basic animation principles couldn't be wrong either.
    John K also has good stuff about cartoony characters: avoiding twins, line of action in head details, a billion examples how hierarchy works

Is this picture everything you will show in your portfolio?
    What makes this character special? it's just a stock fox with thick eyebrows and a medallion.
    Get variety in the design and don't care about the details like markings and earrings.
    I would also suggest to scrap this and to do your research you could study foxes, human/animal expressions, body language of animal and human, variations of the character (a sheet filled with 30 different head shapes) and an expression sheet (filled with a ton of different expressions)

Last edited by Kiera; March 22nd, 2009 at 09:33 AM. Reason: spelling -.-
    I just took a break to post this.
    But sometimes I also draw stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If the name is VIX as a play on Roman numerals, maybe you could find a way to connect it to the figure through attributes in the fox's design. It could serve to integrate the typeface a little more into the composition. If that doesn't sound appealing, then I think just generally experimenting with the text placement might give you some more interesting arrangements.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The portfolio is due on Friday, so I don't have a lot of time to be buying books, and doing in-depth studies :/ (I wish I did, but they notified me about it late).

You say he looks stock, what would it take to make him not look that way?

I'm working on several other views, including expressive ones now, but I can't go and make too too much more to it, it's only one piece in the portfolio, and I'm scrambling to come up with the other requirements as well.

Besides adding some more views and maybe changing some details (such as the perspective on the nose, changing the accesories) what else could be done to strengthen the idea that this is a character, and not a "stock" fox?

If what we dream cannot become reality, then let reality become the dream.
    ---------------
    "I won't let my schooling get in the way of my education"
    -Mark Twain

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.