Work in progress, crits appreciated

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Work in progress, crits appreciated

Anything, if the folds look realistically possible, whats off about body structure/ anatomy (as I get farther with it) color scheme, etc

I started working on this earlier today; the face is meant to be that of a woman,which is why I've blocked in the hips a little wider, but the face right now looks like a man's, due to the structure I gave it I guess

This is odd to me, because it should be really simple, but I don't really know how to make it look like a woman's face

eh

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everything still is pretty nebulus and blended together, really the only contrast happening is the arms have the most saturated color and the legs the lightest value. Make the face leaner, don't use a square shape, make it more of a lean oval, pentagon, or triangle. Bring her arms further in so her shoulders aren't so wide.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks armando; I tried to do what you suggested, and it at least looks like a woman now, but it looks really cartoonish as well

I think I need to size down the nose for one thing, make it less button-like, and remove some highlights

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy crap I love the colors of her limbs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like a woman to me, but if you want to signal it harder, darken the lashes and maybe bring the nose down a little bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the face looks a lot better now. I would suggest working big to small, it seems there are too many details early. You might end up playing catch up with the rest of the body. Get the mids and values right, then worry about highlights and all that. Quite a good start though, otherwise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Make sure you establish a light source early on and respect it for the rest of the rendering/painting process, as it's the main means of defining the forms.

RE: The folds of the cape/garment -- they're definitely defying gravity by some means, like Marilyn Monroe's blown-up skirt, but even allowing for that the forms that are developing look too repetitively round and somewhat too symmetrical. They also currently seem to be occupying pretty much the same picture plane, think about overlaps and such to better establish the depth of this element as you proceed.

Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Her legs are too short. If you're going for a sexy woman, elongate her legs, it'll look more feminine. They're kind of stubby at the moment, especially compared to her arms. It's not the thighs, even, it's mostly just the calves. They're too short.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    masque: I haven't gotten to work on your suggestions yet, but they sound good; I'm just going to go to each circular fold and try to make it more angular, put some slashy brushstrokes in there, I reckon that'll do the job

as for the lightsource, It should be coming from front/ above, but now that I'm looking at it some of the shadows don't make sense that way, like the big one on the hood, which should be filled with light if that was the case
    I'll keep messing with it, thanks

Ryer: I think the top-half of her legs are okay, but I'll need reference for the bottom half, I'm not great shakes at legs really
    But I'll try to make them a little longer; maybe I should just add location markers for imprtant points like end of foot, ankle, etc, first.
    Thanks.

Collywobbles: Thanks; I tried to do that, and I think it worked.

Opilione: I darkened the lashes a tad but have yet to try bringing her nose down, I'll see what that does. Thanks!

Ashton: lol thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, this is looking great @__@
    I think you should keep the colors from the first draft in her legs, with that little bit of purple too, it looked so cool. Great progress so far

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks amianna; I'm going to try and get that blue and those cool skintones to creep up her legs there, It'll probably be more than this at a later stage I'm guessing

Did some work on the cape, made it more angular in places; still pretty symmetrical, but most of what I did today was the forms of the body, and I think I got a pretty decent leg shape

One of the things I'm not sure about is the angle of her arms; they seem a little awkward. I'm thinking of placing them in a completely different position. Possibly fingertips together over her torso, performing some sort of magic; it would provide a reason for her to have the hood and stuff like that, and it would lok more natural, I think.

Also, I think its just a little too midtonish, but I'm not sure. It looks pretty bad when I do a curves or levels, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want to make her more womanly, just give her plumper lips.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And huge tits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some serious problems with proportions and human form construction that should be corrected before you go farther with the painting:

Name:  FigureFormPO2.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  91.7 KB

Tracing out the unseen parts under the garment, it seems she has only about half her upper torso, the shoulders do not connect properly, and the overall proportions of everything are kind if all over the map using head-height as the gauge. She also has a very narrow face, not unusual but is it what you want?

Everything also looks as if painted face-on with no perspective, kind of rigidly orthographic. Choose an eye level (horizon) and block out a basic perspective system that the figure should follow.

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks masque, I hadn't looked at it that way; I expect I can simply lower her lower body, and paint in the rest of her upper torso in its place.

As for the thin face, I think I made it thin to fit inside the hood, which was a mistake; I should have painted the hood around the face after it had been positioned correctly.

And on the perspective comments, could you elaborate a little more? I'm not really sure how I would go about painting it to look the way you say; for one thing, I wouldn't think, at such a close distance, that such perspectiv would make much of a difference

I dunno

Thanks again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually perspective is quite a bit more important when viewing an object close up. Here's a reconstruction with some formal perspective indicators laid on:

Name:  figureRecon.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  119.8 KB

First I revamped the figure's basic forms to better fit the common 7-1/2 heads standard height

Then I chose an eye line, or horizon, for the perspective, coinciding with the waist of the figure.

Next I drew a box around the figure, starting with the forward surface, running some guidelines to the vanishing point (light green), and then finishing off the back side of the box. At a couple of places in the box I inscribed a cross-section, and into those I drew simple ellipses, assuming the cross-section of the box is close to a square.

Note how the shape (projection) of the ellipses changes depending on where they are within the box, due to the perspective. The human form has cross-sections as well, that can also be simplified to ellipses, and I've drawn them in at the ends of the various forms according to the perspective plan.

You can't look straight on at all parts at once -- the perspective plan determines which parts are looked down on and which parts looked up at. If you were to draw many boxes back into the distance and do the same cross-section trick, you'd see than the ellipses get flatter the farther they get from the view point, and so the perspective effects are less of an issue the farther the subject is from the viewing point. BTW, this is why photos taken with telephoto lenses have flattened perspective -- they're enlarging a portion of the scene that is in the far distance to completely fill the image area.

Note that when you draw the feet with perspective taken into account, in this view you'd be drawing mostly a top view.

This is a very formal and simplified one-point perspective plan, more complicated than need be, but it does show clearly the need to take perspective into account. Learn how to rough in perspective lines so when you go to draw your figure, it follows the plan accordingly. After lots of practice, it becomes second nature to draw with perspective taken into account, but it never hurts to use some brief but accurate guidelines, either.

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to masque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow, thanks so much! I had no idea; truly, I don't know much about perspective. Maybe I'll drop in on yoitsi's mentoring threads sometime...

Thanks again

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.