View Poll Results: What size tablet do you use?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4x5

52 28.73%
  • 6x8

72 39.78%
  • 9x12

39 21.55%
  • 12x12

14 7.73%
  • 12x18

4 2.21%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wacom Size Poll

Thanks

Question Wacom Size Poll

I'm either really curious or very nosey, take your pick. I've been searching through posts and reading everyone's thoughts on the subject so I figured this might satisfy the curiosity of others wondering the same thing. I know it's all a matter of what works best for you as an individual with your own style and technique so this info won't affect any of my future tablet purchases, rest assured.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I see too many folks use smaller tablets... 6X8 or smaller. I saw what happened to a friend at ILM one day... all of a sudden it looked as if an egg appeared under his forearm... it was no egg. I won't go into the details; it was nearly a year before he could draw again and to this day there are still some problems. He switched hands for a while, got to be decent with it, and basically did the best he could. But even with a tablet, the small repetetive motions can absolutely screw you. Get one as large as you can... style and technique have nothing to do with your tablet. You'll adjust to what you have.

Thanks
    dah... maybe i won't buy that 6x8 wacom...

Thanks
    Vf: whhhat?? What the heck was on his arm?

EDIT:
    Personally I like the 9X12, its a great sized tablet. really great to work with, and its not huge and cluttering to your table like the bigger ones are.

Thanks
    Not on, in... just hope your muscles and tendons never go through the same. It can end a career.

While we're on the subject... some folks would read a post like this and think it a good idea to exercise the muscle and forearm to strengthen it... well to an extent, but basically NO.

Your arms, just as your eyes, back, neck... need some stretching, but mostly they need rest. Try to be aware, at least once an hour, of taking all tension off of your arms, your shoudlers, etc... you have to relax the areas, or you can pay for it later. Light opposing stretches will help, but relax, melt if you can... you really need it.

Thanks
    I went with the 6x8 mainly because the bigger tablets were out of my price range back then.

Good point, vfx... I like to melt. Here's a tip I learned from a friend with CPS. Sleep with your hands open, fingers stretched out, instead of in fists, as much as you can.

Thanks
    Vf: I'm still relaly confused. Something happened to his arms, but what??

Thanks
    The poor guys tendons got all contorted and twisted up from too many small repetetive movements with his hand.... (because the wacom was small, he had no room to really move his whole arm and shoulder while drawing)

That is a terrible story, of course, but just for a moderate wacom user, are 6x8s too small?

Thanks
    Hi folks,

just for those of you who are interested in learning more about injuries caused by repeated physical
    movements like using computer input devices, playing guitar and so on.

The comprehensive term for these kind of injury is Repetitive strain injury, short RSI.

I just recommend you to search for this on google, you'll find lot"s of pages describing symptoms
    and precautions.

Stay Healthy!

Thanks
    i agree with giotto face about larger tablet being better. don't u guys remember basic life drawing when the instructors would tell you to draw with large movements of your arm? works the same with the large tablet.

Thanks
    Got one Question for the wacom people with a semi large to large pad.

How on earth can you draw with bare arms on it?
    Even with a longsleeve shirt my hand eventually
    gets slightly moist and shows huge friction between the pad making it impossible to make long strokes...

i'm extremely curious how you guys handle this.

Thanks
    I also only work on a 4x5 Intuos - I was the first one around to buy a tablet and so had no idea whether it was worth its price, thus I decided to take an Intuos (instead of a FGraphire or No Name Tablet) and go for a small one becaus of the cost. Also, I have limited space on my desk. And: I only use it occasionally, prefer to use traditional media. So for people like me a small tablet is all you need. Once you start working with it professionally or on a daily basis I guess a larger one would be better. BTW, I have mine since January 2001 and it's still doing fine.

Jester
    Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    I've used a 4x5 since Wacom first released them (like, what eight years or more?) and have never had any physical problems as a result.

Of course, I don't tend to do 12 hour marathons with it every day and when I'm not drawing I use a mouse.

The reason I went with the tiny tablet was that I had tried a 12x12 tablet before that and within an hour my shoulder was aching, my forearm was raw and the bottom half of the tablet was getting grimey. A large tablet was just uncomfortable as hell for me to work with. Plus, even when I'm drawing with traditional tools, I've never been a "move the whole arm guy" I've always been a "controlled wrist movements guy."

I keep my tablet off to the right where your mousepad would go rather than trying to put it straight in front of me or anything. In fact, when I'm not drawing with it, it IS my mousepad (I use a regular mouse, not the Wacom one).

Maybe positioning has something to do with injury risk?

The 4x5 tablet perfectly suits the way I draw and for me at least offers far more control over my lines.

But I don't claim to be representative of anything resembling "normal".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast