Splatter brush mod

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Splatter brush mod

I have a question about modifying a splatter brush.
    I'm referring to the airbrush splatter brushes "variable splatter" and "tiny spattery airbrush".
    When I worked in conventional paint and pen & ink, one of my favorite tools was to get an old toothbrush, add pigment and then drag my thumb across it sending a very random splatter onto the work surface.
    The results were wonderful in the variety of large and small splatters. It was perfect for giving texture to rocks, dirt, asphalt etc.
    I have been unable to customize these two brushes to give anything like the randomness of size and pattern of splatters.
    Can anyone help me with some suggestions on how I might create this effect?
    Maybe I should be customizing different brushes, but which?

Thanks for any help,

pg

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I ran into this PDF file about the liquid Inks category: http://www.corel.com/content/pdf/pai...Liquid_Ink.pdf

Liquid inks work in their own layer but can create some rather interesting grunge and random effects.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pgd View Post
    I have a question about modifying a splatter brush.
    I'm referring to the airbrush splatter brushes "variable splatter" and "tiny spattery airbrush".
    When I worked in conventional paint and pen & ink, one of my favorite tools was to get an old toothbrush, add pigment and then drag my thumb across it sending a very random splatter onto the work surface.
    The results were wonderful in the variety of large and small splatters. It was perfect for giving texture to rocks, dirt, asphalt etc.
    I have been unable to customize these two brushes to give anything like the randomness of size and pattern of splatters.
    Can anyone help me with some suggestions on how I might create this effect?
    Maybe I should be customizing different brushes, but which?

Thanks for any help,

pg
    If you purchased the boxed version of Painter IX or Painter X, check the Extras > Brushes folder to find the Splatter Brush library. It contains some neat Liquid Ink brush variants you can play with.

#

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jinny,
    I had no idea those brushes were there! There are some very nice splatter brushes on the disc.
    I would still like to know how to make new brushes entirely from scratch though. Is there a tutorial you can direct me to that will help me learn how?
    So far I've only modified existing brushes. I'd love to make some entirely from scratch.

Thanks again,

pg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, pg,

I can't think of any tutorials to point you to, though I've posted brush control adjustments here and there when someone wants a specific brush variant that I'm able to figure out for them. Usually, they want something pretty simple so those adjustments probably wouldn't be what you're looking for anyway, even if I knew where they were.

Truth is, there is no other way to create a custom brush than to begin with an existing brush variant. The adjustments can be so extreme that no one would ever guess what the source variant was, or they can be so minimal the custom brush variant seems almost the same as the source variant.

I have my best results when playing with no particular goal in mind but to see what will happen if I try this, try that, try something else, 'til it finally looks interesting or I dump it and start over in another direction. It's amazing how much we can learn just playing, experimenting, with settings in the Brush Controls palettes, and testing with various Papers if the brush variant is set to interact with Paper texture.

I don't use the Brush Creator because it's a pain to be separated from my Canvas and the whole array of palettes I may want to use. Instead, I go to Window > Brush Controls > General to open all of the Brush Controls' palettes in a docked group. Now they're available any time I want to change something and so is everything else available unless I close the palettes.

Another thing that can help you learn is to study the Brush Controls settings to see what makes an existing brush variant you like work the way it does. Then some of those settings can be applied to a custom brush variant in combination with some settings from another existing brush variant, and another until you have a custom brush variant worth saving.

If you decide to do this, open a large white Canvas and do plenty of testing. Take notes when you find something you like. When the Canvas is full of test strokes, open another large white Canvas and continue.

Make it fun!

# .

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could splat some real splats onto paper, scan them in, and use them to make a splatty nozzle.

There is a great John Derry tutorial on making nozzles here:

It's a good way to get very random splats so that they don't all look the same. The more layers you make the better.

Last edited by squirrell; March 20th, 2009 at 10:54 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to squirrell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can directly download a PDF of my Drips & Splats Nozzle building Tutorial here.

-john

John Derry
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Pixels—It's all in how you arrange them!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pixlart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jinny, Squirrel and Pixlart,
    I really appreciate your help. The tutorials on nozzles and drips and splats may be the answer. I honestly haven't been able to get close using the brush creator to the wonderful patterns (or lack of patterns) I get when dragging my thumb across a toothbrush with ink or paint on it. It's something that I found almost essential in creating rock, stone and brick textures. I'll try scanning one and see if I can create one that way and definitely check out the tutorials.

Thanks for the advice!

pg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pg,

You might also want to download David Gell's Watercolor Toothbrush library usable in Painter 7 through Painter 11. It's available to download from this page on David's old site:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.g...s_Brushes.html

Here's the link to his newer site on which you'll find a link to his old site (both sites contain loads of custom brushes to download and enjoy) :

Brush Port

#

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jinny,
    Thanks for the link. I'm checking it out now.
    While going through the Painter 9.5 help files I found on "Brush Libraries" the following;

"you’ll want to organize new brushes into secondary libraries. It is also a good idea to limit the number of items in each library.

When you want a different brush set, just switch libraries. This helps Corel Painter be more efficient with memory usage, and makes it is easier to find a particular item."

How do I create a "secondary library?" The help files don't really explain how.

pg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's best to scan your textures then capturing them into brushes, this is what I did and I'm quite happy with the results I get, used two dry splatters and a digital watercolor splatter (the large one):

Splatter brush mod

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jinny,
    Thanks for the link. I'm checking it out now.
    While going through the Painter 9.5 help files I found on "Brush Libraries" the following;

"you’ll want to organize new brushes into secondary libraries. It is also a good idea to limit the number of items in each library.

When you want a different brush set, just switch libraries. This helps Corel Painter be more efficient with memory usage, and makes it is easier to find a particular item."

How do I create a "secondary library?" The help files don't really explain how.

pg

To create a custom brush library in Painter X through Painter 11:

1. Launch Painter X or Painter 11.

2. With the Workspace in which you want to use your custom brush library loaded, create a custom brush category (read the following to learn how):

Help menu > Help Topics > Contents tab > Customizing Brushes.

On the right panel, click the link named "Managing Custom Brushes" where you'll find the information you need.

3. After creating your custom brush category, close Painter.

4. Go to the Painter X or Painter 11 User folder > [Workspace Name] > Brushes folder and create a new folder to use as the custom brush library folder, giving it an appropriately descriptive name not already used by Painter. See the appropriate paths below:

Corel Painter X User Folder

Mac - Users > [User Name] > Library > Application Support > Corel > Painter X > [Workspace Name] > Brushes

Windows - Documents and Settings > [User Name] > Application Data > Corel > Painter X > [Workspace Name] > Brushes

Windows Vista - Users > [User Name] > AppData > Roaming > Corel > Painter X > [Workspace Name] > Brushes
    Corel Painter 11 User Folder

Mac - Users > [User Name] > Library > Application Support > Corel > Painter 11 > [Workspace Name] > Brushes

Windows - Documents and Settings > [User Name] > Application Data > Corel > Painter 11 > [Workspace Name] > Brushes

Windows Vista - Users > [User Name] > AppData > Roaming > Corel > Painter 11 > [Workspace Name] > Brushes

5. Go to the brush library where you created your custom brush catgegory, copy the custom brush category folder and its associated 30 x 30 pixel JPG brush category icon image file (will have the same name as the custom brush category folder).

6. Go back to your custom brush library folder and paste the copied custom brush category folder and its associated JPG brush category image file.

7. Launch Painter X or Painter 11, then go to the Brush Selector menu and choose Load Library. Highlight the name of your new custom brush library and click the Load button. Now your new custom brush library is loaded and ready to use. With that custom brush library loaded, you can create more custom brush categories and they'll be added to that new custom brush library.

8. Click and drag your custom brush category icon onto the Painter screen to create a new Custom Palette. As long as you're working in the same Workspace, when you load other brush libraries, you can drag a brush category icon into that Custom Palette so any time you want to load one of these brush libraries, it can be done with a single click on the appropriate brush category icon.

#

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jinny,
    I'm using Painter 9.5. Is the process for making a secondary library very different for this version than 10 or 11?

PG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jinny,
    I'm using Painter 9.5. Is the process for making a secondary library very different for this version than 10 or 11?

PG
    Hi PG,

It should be the same except that Painter IX through IX.5 don't have Workspaces so you'll need to ignore anything in the instructions above that refers to Workspace or [Workspace Name] folder.

Good luck!

Jinny

#

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi Jinny,

i went over your step couple of times and still cant make the connection and/or understanding it. i had put my custom brush in the painter brush folder as you directed with the 30x30 image. when i go to 'load library'. i can locate my folder but once i go into it, it says that it can only import things that are .BRS. so dont really understand how or where i need to make it as my JPEGs as .BRS or if i missed that information in the Painter Help thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueVon View Post
    hi Jinny,

i went over your step couple of times and still cant make the connection and/or understanding it. i had put my custom brush in the painter brush folder as you directed with the 30x30 image.
    Hi BlueVon,

Do you mean by "my custom brush", your new custom brush category? If so, I did not say to place your new custom brush category folder and its associated 30 x 30 pixel JPG brush category icon image file in the Painter Brushes folder (default Painter Brushes brush library folder).

Since the goal was to create a new custom brush library, what I said was to (see my post above for the detailed steps):

1. Inside Painter, create a new custom brush category.

2. Close Painter and create a new custom brush library folder.

3. Go to the folder for the brush library that contains the new custom brush category and copy the new custom brush category folder and it's associated JPG brush category icon image file.

4. Go to the new custom brush library folder and paste the copied new custom brush category folder and its associated JPG brush category icon image file into that new custom brush library folder.

Take some time to read through the steps in my previous message again and follow them one by one.

when i go to 'load library'. i can locate my folder but once i go into it, it says that it can only import things that are .BRS. so dont really understand how or where i need to make it as my JPEGs as .BRS or if i missed that information in the Painter Help thing.
    It sounds like you're clicking the Import button which should only be used to have Painter 7 through Painter 11 Import and convert Painter 6 and earlier version single file .BRS brush libraries to folders and .XML brush variant files and place them in the correct locations so Painter will be able to find them when you click the Load button.

When you create a new custom brush library folder (using the steps listed in my previous message) and have your custom brush category folders and associated JPG brush category icon image files inside the new custom brush library folder, all you need to do is:

1. Launch Painter.

2. Go to the Brush Selector menu and choose Load Library.

3. In the Brush Libraries dialog box, highlight the name of your new custom brush library.

4. Click the Load button. Now your new custom brush library should be loaded and ready to use.

Jinny

#

Last edited by Jin; March 29th, 2009 at 06:53 AM.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jinny,
    Thanks for all your help on this. I followed your directions and created a custom brush library in my "Documents and Settings > [User Name] > Application Data > Corel > Painter X > Brushes" folder (I'm using 9.5 so there's no workspace folder).

When I start Painter a window pops up saying "The current brush size has not yet been built. Hit the Build button to build it."

When I hit the Build button Painter crashes.

What do you think I've done wrong?

pg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jinny,
    Thanks for all your help on this. I followed your directions and created a custom brush library in my "Documents and Settings > [User Name] > Application Data > Corel > Painter X > Brushes" folder (I'm using 9.5 so there's no workspace folder).

When I start Painter a window pops up saying "The current brush size has not yet been built. Hit the Build button to build it."

When I hit the Build button Painter crashes.

What do you think I've done wrong?

pg
    Hi pg,

Congrats on creating your custom brush library!

You may not have done anything wrong. It could be the Tracker palette is causing this. It does get messed up sometimes in Painter IX through Painter X.1.

1. With Painter IX closed, go to the Painter IX User folder and delete the Tracker Settings.xml file.

2. Launch Painter IX, open the Tracker palette and you'll see Painter IX has generated a new, empty Tracker palette.

Since this problem occurs now and then, and I don't use the Tracker palette anyway (though Painter keeps adding brush variants whether I want it to or not), I avoid the problem by clearing the Tracker palette at the end of each Painter session.

To make that easy, I've created a Custom Palette containing two menu command buttons. With three clicks I can open the Tracker palette, Clear All (clear out all brush variants listed in the Tracker Palette), and close the Tracker Palette:

Splatter brush mod

Since I started doing this, I've not experienced any Tracker palette-related problems.

Hope it works for you as well and what you're experiencing is nothing more complicated.

Jinny

#

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, Jinny

i finally got what i been wanting to do i didnt know i could copy the same brush (lets say acrylic for example) into my custom brushes and then have to resave it variant every other time after that for a new one. i think im pretty much set <D

thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.