Sketch-Final work crossing (Warning: Large image)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketch-Final work crossing (Warning: Large image)

I do apologize for the largeness, but it is to see some of the details of the lines.

I had a friend of mine suggest to me, after she saw one of my wacom sketches, that I should try incorporating the sketchy look in my final works, to make them look more natural.
    Being the big sucker I am, I thought I'd give it a try when I got the chance.
    Sometime later, after trying and failing on drawing some fan art, I remembered the suggestion and decided to use the rejected piece as practice.

I'd like some critique on the sketching, how it looks as lineart for a final piece, and if there are some things that I need to fix (or if you just simply want to give me wacom sketching tips).

Oh, and if you can guess who this is then either I didn't mess up so badly after all, or you're just good at spotting things. Character belongs to whoever makes his games now (I still remember it as NaughtyDog, but I dunno if they own him anymore).

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Surzsha; March 19th, 2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Making the typing less apologetic.
    ------
    Wait... What were we talking about?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, im guessing you are young. try not to think about style. you need to work from the bottom up, learn the basics, although any practice is good practice you could be spending your time doing gesture drawings or some anatomy. this would aid your development much better than trying to make a foxified dude look like it was drawn in a style which is just a bit rough really. also, if the image needs to be that size to see the detail in the line is there any point in having that detail in the line? i can see its scratchyness in the foot enlargement but not on the actual sized image so it seems pointless.

the tone of your writing is a bit like "please tell me what you think??? but i dont give a shit and wont act on it" so i dont think people will be that eager to respond. You also apologies and try to make excuses for your work not being up to par. if you are an illustrator your work should speak for its self, you are meant to be able to communicate something, without having to write it at the top. I would suggest just showing the work and saying something as simple as what do you think. if people are unsure of what it is you just need to practice more. if it is a study itle look like a study, if its a final piece it should look like a final piece.

keep up the practice just channel your energy into the places that will give you the most back. xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Mason For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are those horns or ears?

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stephen:
    On your first comment, I would say it would depend on where you draw the line for youngness (though yes, I am still 'young' in the field of drawing).

I thank you for pointing out my typing. I never was good at words, so I should fix that. The reason for my apologetic typing would have to be that this site is filled with professionals who would most likely see me as a wannabe artist when I am serious in joining the forums to work on my art.

Now, I've already got a good grasp at anatomy (I just need to release more artwork to show it). I'm just simply experimenting on something that was merely suggested, along the side of practicing drawing some more. Though I do see your point, why worry about the sketch details if the size of the work is going to be small? But, what if I were asked to do a finished work in that sketchy style (color and all), and they'd like the print to be big? You have to think of the possibilities.

Anyways, thank you for the side note. Also, you might want to start using that shift key.

Flashback:
    God damn it, I thought I got rid of that drawing problem ages ago. Either that, or it's because it's not colored and shaded.

------

FourTonMantis is offline Without vision we will die Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Surzsha View Post
    Now, I've already got a good grasp at anatomy (I just need to release more artwork to show it).
    If that were true, it would show in all of your drawings. Anatomy applies to every figure you draw. Now, while this isn't perfect, here's a quick paintover. Hope it helps.

Oh, and just for fun, I made him straight-edge.

Attached Images Attached Images  

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FourTonMantis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FourTonMantis:
    Nice. Though the feet touching the bottom edge of the canvas isn't a good thing. But the overall pose looks better.

There's a reason why I said this pic was rejected. The anatomy on the sketch didn't look right, but it was too late to erase everything and change it (I make a mess of the paper when I'm correcting). Plus, this character's original anatomy is cartoonish and goes against some rules, which made it tough for me to try and correct it a little while at the same time keeping the character's look.

Still, thanks for the pointers. I'll keep this for further reference (and the straight-edge addition was a nice touch).

Last edited by Surzsha; March 20th, 2009 at 03:26 PM.
    ------

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.