Thanks

bwkeough vs DragonGX

SteamKnight battle.

1- Concept design character

2- An environment design based on the characters surroundings.

At least one in full color.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Please not that "SteamKnight" isn't the subject, it is the genre. Basically it is the late European Rennaissance, where technology has stopped. Think steam-powered/alchemy/age of exploration...

Thanks
    Yep, that sounds good, but like you suggested, vehicles are an option to substitute either the environment or the character.
    bee-dubya-keo
    neo•keo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

Thanks
    Originally posted by bwkeough
    Yep, that sounds good, but like you suggested, vehicles are an option to substitute either the environment or the character.

:cool:

Good luck!

Thanks
    here's three early concept sketches

a steam-powered armored personnel carrier

bwkeough vs DragonGX

the captain of the apc

bwkeough vs DragonGX

one of the dragoons carried by the vehicle

bwkeough vs DragonGX

I'm mixing time periods and technologies a little, hope you don't mind

Thanks
    No problem! All's fair in love and war!

The APC looks cool!

I'll have to go scan in some sketches soon!

Thanks
    I decided to go with something a little less mainstream, like a arrior, so I decided to do a machinist. I was goign to do it a little bit more "Cartoony" but I just went with it, and it turned out a little bit more realistic.. I'm probably going to do one more finished drawing and then choose one to paint for my color peice..

The scanner is an older scanner, so it turned the drawing out really grainy looking and it kind of messed up the colors... it looks way out of contrast and some parts are darker and lighter than they should be... Ah well..

Anyways here it is:

bwkeough vs DragonGX

Thanks
    a machinist is something I hadn't thought of, looks like you're on a good track for that. The sketch is pretty good, just watch the fingers on his left hand.

Thanks
    2 more images. The dragoon is pretty much finished. The captain is still in concept phase. I've made the captain of my vehicle female, but she's looking a little piratey, so I'm not certain I'm going to stick with my tank-transport, might make the move to something amphibious.

dragoon:
    bwkeough vs DragonGX

captain:
    bwkeough vs DragonGX

Thanks
    Originally posted by bwkeough
    a machinist is something I hadn't thought of, looks like you're on a good track for that. The sketch is pretty good, just watch the fingers on his left hand.

Yeah, I had alot of trouble with his right foot and left hand.. Just couldn't get them look right...

I like that dragoon. Cool pose!

Thanks
    continuing development...A WIP of my captain consulting her advisers with dragoons in the foreground. I'm also moving my steam armored personnell carrier towards a rail-less military train...imagine a battleship stretched out into train cars.

bwkeough vs DragonGX

Thanks
    This is going to be the final version of my captain. I may or may not complete the scene of her in action; if I do I'll probably use the image above as starting point but start over fresh.
    bwkeough vs DragonGX

Next up: the Battle Train. I might also freshen-up the Dragoon concept, bring him more in line with the style of the captain.

Thanks
    here's a sketch of the rolling Keep idea I'm currently favoring. I'm not certain yet if the tractors that are towing it will require rails to run on.

The keep itself may or may not be self-propelled. It's furnace provides steam power to rotate the two upper levels of the turret which can turn independently through the use of concentric hollow axles

bwkeough vs DragonGX

Thanks
    Great stuff fellas!

Brendan - all of this stuff is really great. I especially like your cross-hatching/loose style.

I have a couple of suggestions though. Right now, your characters, the captain, etc, look pretty "clean". I think your soldiers and characters could benefit from a little muddying of the waters so to speak: Perhaps your captain could have once side or one shoulder covered in some kind of beat-up medieval-style armor, plus I think she would be alittle more interesting if she was less feminine, and more "butchy".

Imagine what a woman would have to be like to rise up in the ranks of a "man's" profession like that in a time period like the Renaissance! She would have to be one bad-ass!

Also, I actually liked your initial design for the soldiers and the personnel carrier, only I would make the back wheels REALLY huge. But if you wantto stick with the "moving citadel" idea, lets really see some exaggerated features! Like a huge steam-boat-like wheel in the back or even in the front, covered in spikes to crush anything that gets in its way! Or have a whole team of those steam-engines (Like santa's reindeer) pulling along this HUGE Awkward moving citadel with battle-ship-like towers.

Your color is very nice, and I really like the Captains advisors! The pic of the dragoon is really nice, probably the strongest drawing in the lot.

Can't wait to see the final products! I gotta get going on my stuff too!!!! Back to work!!!! haha.

-Muttonhead

Thanks
    thanks for the quick reply! your comments have really helped push my ideas forward. I'm going to move my characters back in time a bit, more medieval armor like my initial concepts. I'll also de-beautify the captain, that makes sense to me, too.

I had been struggling a little with my efforts to make a steam-powered vehicle that didn't look too much like a modern tank. To get over this, I think I'm going to make the Keep even larger, as you suggested, and also remove the train engines. instead, most of the army that travels with it will pull it, and it'll have some super large wheels to propel it as well as keep it from sinking into the mud.

Thanks
    ok, new version of the dragoon, a little more medieval in flavor.
    I need to get moving on the new captain I have planned and I expect the rolling keep/tank thing will be completed in a frenzy this weekend.

bwkeough vs DragonGX

Thanks
    Final two images:

madame commander:
    bwkeough vs DragonGX

the steam tank. didn't do a full-on render of this one. simple image to show design with some cut-aways of the gun deck and the steam engine system

bwkeough vs DragonGX

Thanks
    Alright, I'm sorry to do this, but I have to forfeit.

Due to some bad circumstances that I've already talked to bwkeough about, I wasn't able to finish any of my pieces for T-Dome.

Great job, bwkeough. You can really pump some art out. My only crits are to watch some of your characters poses, and I really think you should tighten up your paintings. I know osme of these are just sketches, but I think if you put a little bit of extra time into some of them and really got a little bit more detailed, they would look even better!

Keep on it, I hope to see some more art from you in the future!

:chug: