Art: Portfolio Cover Designs

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portfolio Cover Designs

Finished up these two potential covers for my design portfolio, thought i'd share them with you guys so you could let me know what you think.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    'I'll have your money by the end of the month'

Sketchbookery http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=135577
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The red and green outlines are fine, but I'd like to see a real clean black outline around the forms instead of the sketchy one you've got right now. They're interesting though, I don't know much at all about design...preferring the second one more, the hand on the top REALLY jumps at you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    waaaaaaaaaaay too busy, as a cover, it makes me want to not pick it up. look at some of the old school movie poster artist and art deco artist. Comic book cover artist are also some good inspiration

since its a design portfolio, put in design elements and principles to further showcase your portfolio

Representing Ringling College of Art and Design Class 2012

Blog
    (its pretty rad)

Current Sketchbook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Equality72521 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The 'Photoshop default brush' look of the black outline really throws the pieces off. It makes them look unfinished.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a really hard read. I think the contents of a portfolio are more important than the cover anyway. My advice would be to just keep it simple and readable. Right now it's kinda hurting my eyes...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eeeeyyy man i really like your style. i also really like the outlines. don´t clean them up! just remain true to your style. kind regards

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To me the first image looks like hes flicking me the "v's", not sure i would be impressed at that on the front cover. Youve got an interesting style there though.

Also on the first one im not 100% sure because the image is cut off, but it looks like its his left arm hes throwing out (because its infront of his face), if thats the case his hand is the wrong way round, its a right hand on what appears to be a left arm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your images have a busy foreground competing with a busy background. Commonly busy and busy equals over busy... I recommend that you choose a more simplified foreground so your pictorial elements dont compete as much (or busy foreground simplified background). Right now your work is overwhelming to the eye. Read the link Equality sent to you, its rather helpful. However I would not take Oaki's advice, yes you do have a unique style and I applaud you for that... however be true to your style with work that demonstrates a strong foundation in design skills and techniques. Yes breaking the rules is acceptable but be careful not to break the rules and have artwork that looks unprofessional (if this is your design portfolio I would recommend not straying from common design principles to much). Anyways hope that helps keep up the work!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like that you are using patterns in this, and you have some interesting ones, but they are all SO busy and so close in value, it makes this very hard to look at for long. It kind of gives me a headache, and you don't want to do that to someone looking at your work, especially someone you want work from. Don't forget that value is a very important part of design, and disregarding that on the cover could give a bad first impression.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.